Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 02:38 PM

22 posts, read 99,926 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
First, I wish to end all doubts/questions regarding an earlier post of mine. Simply, there are “NO” gang activities within any of the 55+ communities that I had an opportunity to visit.
As a fairly intelligent person, I will be the first one to admit and have openly said so; the media tends to sensationalize bad news. However, I am very interested on this new rumor of "silver-haired" 55+ gangs Can one join if they are ... mmm hair challeged?
Now, since that is out of the way back to the nature of this board.

My visit to the area was cut extremely short due to the wrath of Earl, which never came and we got a very late start. Sigh… Anyway, here is my very small contribution to your board.
Longacre Village aka The Woods at Longacre Village is comprised of four builders and one shopping plaza. To date the following businesses occupy space in the Longacre Village shopping plaza:

Kent County Library
Bistro 13
Veterinarian
Liquor Store
Latino Grocery Store
Casket maker/builder

Although I was very pleased to see the Library, the overall feeling of the plaza was very unappealing to me. I think they missed their mark on the market survey here. A better choice of businesses for this community could have been a Barber/Salon, Deli/Bakery, Florist, or Dry Cleaners. This is just my opinion.
As far as the Clubhouse, none to date.

Last edited by NotSureYet; 09-07-2010 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 06:05 PM

40 posts, read 80,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
There are rumors of "silver-haired 55+" gangs at Champion's Club and Roesville. Does that frighten you?

Goin, you're a riot, thanks for the laugh.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:29 PM

560 posts, read 915,980 times
[quote=NotSureYet;15791979]
As a fairly intelligent person, I will be the first one to admit and have openly said so; the media tends to sensationalize bad news. However, I am very interested on this new rumor of "silver-haired" 55+ gangs Can one join if they are ... mmm hair challeged?

Ah yes, the "hairless 55+ gang" is an ally of the "silver-hairs". Some members belong to both groups as they qualify as "hairless" on top with "silver" on the sides.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 6,850 times
You made me look in the mirror to see what group I belonged to!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 PM

Where is everybody? Not as much chatter lately.
G2D

Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM

45 posts, read 96,841 times
Default DE state tax on pensions?

Does Delaware have state taxes on pensions? I am from NJ and recently retired. I have a pension and NJ doesn't tax pensions when you move out of state. Does Delaware? We will be visiting Champions Club this friday. Have been reading many posts on this site and have gained valuable information. Charley seems to have done a lot of homework and his efforts are greatly appreciated. We can't wait to see this development for ourselves. We will be arriving at 10 A.M. and would very much like to meet others who contribute to this site on our visit. Please come to the club house when we are there. From reading many post, I feel like I know some of you already. Thanks for the great info and I hope to pass along our thoughts also. By the way, I am a retired law enforcement officer and worked in the sexual assault division for years. The sex offender laws can be deceiving. Some so called sex offenders have been labeled as such and are only one time offenders who made a mistake sometime in their past. Not all sex offenders are homicidal maniacs or child abusers. The numbers are very inflated and I would not put too much stock in them. I also checked out McKee builders on the Better Business Bureau site and it has a rating of A+ their highest rating. Don't know if any of this helps but I have found that any accurate information is good information. Hope to meet some of you on our excursions to Delaware in our search for the perfect community.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:39 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBee View Post
Does Delaware have state taxes on pensions? I am from NJ and recently retired.
Here's the data from the Delaware.gov

As a resident of Delaware, the amount of your pension and 401K income that is taxable for federal purposes is also taxable in Delaware. However, person's 60 years of age or older are entitled to a pension exclusion of up to $12,500 or the amount of the pension and eligible retirement income (whichever is less). Eligible retirement income includes dividends, interest, capital gains, net rental income from real property and qualified retirement plans (IRS Sec. 4974), such as IRA, 401 (K), and Keough plans, and government deferred compensation plans (IRS Sec. 457). The combined total of pension and eligible retirement income may not exceed $12,500 per person age 60 or over. If you are under age 60 and receiving a pension, the exclusion amount is limited to $2,000.

Social Security and Railroad Retirement benefits are not taxable in Delaware and should not be included in taxable income.

Also, you get a bottom line credit of $110 per person.

Have a great time on Friday, and if some of the folks who post here do get a chance to meet with you, you're in for a treat. I've met some absolutely wonderful people through my experiences with this thread.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBee View Post
Does Delaware have state taxes on pensions? I am from NJ and recently retired. I have a pension and NJ doesn't tax pensions when you move out of state. Does Delaware? We will be visiting Champions Club this friday. Have been reading many posts on this site and have gained valuable information. Charley seems to have done a lot of homework and his efforts are greatly appreciated. We can't wait to see this development for ourselves. We will be arriving at 10 A.M. and would very much like to meet others who contribute to this site on our visit. Please come to the club house when we are there. From reading many post, I feel like I know some of you already. Thanks for the great info and I hope to pass along our thoughts also. I also checked out McKee builders on the Better Business Bureau site and it has a rating of A+ their highest rating. Don't know if any of this helps but I have found that any accurate information is good information. Hope to meet some of you on our excursions to Delaware in our search for the perfect community.
If you get the chance, take the time to visit Roesville, too. It's a bit newer than CC, but definitely worth seeing. Just because we bought our new home there doesn't mean my opinion is bias.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:41 PM

15 posts, read 31,641 times
There is not much chatter because unless you love C.C or Roesville there is really nothing to talk about. There are other favorable options out there. I recently visited Delaware and I know you all LOVE C.C and Roesville but some of you are painting a much better picture than it really is. Lets look at Spring Meadow who is selling 6-8 homes a month - possibly 10 this month, and Longacre Village- who has a new reputable builder in the community and they are selling 4-5/month, or Chestnut Ridge in Magnolia who is selling 3-4/month. I hate to put a damper on your excitement GOin'2 but Roesville sold 2 in the last 3 months and 1 was contingent. The foundations you see are probably specs. Roesville's clubhouse will not be started until 50% of the homes are sold - that is approx 200 - they have approx. 20 sold in 1.5yrs - if that. GO'2 you have great enthusiasm but don't mislead, its not growing fast and will not for a long time.
Champions has done somewhat better than Roesville but with the new competition in the area they have fallen behind. They are locked into their land costs and priced themselves out of the market. The only way to overcome this is to introduce smaller floorplans or build 3' crawl spaces ILO 4' - as an example. I believe they sold 3-4 over the last 3 months and many of those were contingent.

Both Roesville and C.C are great communities with great people, but someone around here needs to offer an alternative insight. I know Charley and GO'2 are going to blast me and look for a comma out of place or a misspelled word to try and embarrass me. GO'2 - this is why there is not much chatter.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:39 AM

388 posts, read 998,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoDE View Post

Both Roesville and C.C are great communities with great people, but someone around here needs to offer an alternative insight. .
You have brought up a comment that I have often wondered about: where are the residents or future residents-to-be of other 55+ communties in DE? We do have Elizamary from SM and we used to have drnorman checking in from Spring Arbor but that is about it. I would love to hear from people interested in other communities. Yes, the bulk of chatter is on Roesville and CC and my personal future move to CC makes me keen on these postings. But I do want to hear others' opinions, viewpoints, criticisms, and even rants on other places. I don't recall ever reading of any northern DE communities, for instance. My feeling on this is that most communities in the northern part of the state are older and closed or nearing closure so less activity. And of course, once you are there, I imagine less inclination to contribute to a board for people just starting the search. I do not know how to go about soliciting these people out there interested in other communities other than posting this and maybe they will come out of the woodwork .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware