U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 05:47 AM

135 posts, read 265,915 times

Advertisements

Just a thought, would it make more sense to take a small mortgage (and the tax advantage) rather than pay the land lease cost which has no tax advantage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:29 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,546,040 times
Default The advantage of a 55+ community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBee View Post
My concerns about the viability of these +55 communities in Delaware are not about me or my wife, but our children. . .
TomBee,
Your concerns about leaving something for your children is understandable - my mother had the same concerns back in the 1990's when she moved to an assisted living facility - rather than stay in her house.

In 1984 when she moved from LI NY to PA to be within 50 miles of two of her children - she was active and could drive. She needed space and chose to build a home 45 minutes drive from my home. It was a beautiful rancher and as long as she could drive she was fine. She counted on me or my brother visiting almost every other weekend to take care of the yard, clean the gutters and take care of any house repairs. That was OK for a few years. When health issues arose and she could not longer drive we realized her choice of living out in the middle of nowhere was a real problem. I only wish she had selected a 55+ community - because for the next 5 years we constantly worried if she had fallen in her home, was she sick and did not want to "bother" us to drive down and take her to see the doctor etc. etc. etc..

The best gift you can give your children is to select a home where you can live independently and "age in place" for as long as possible.

After having gone through 5 years of never knowing from miniute to minute if my Mom was at home alone and taken a fall (yes it happened a few times) we told her - Mom, you can't stay in your home by yourself. We tried a live-in helper and that lasted 3 months. She finally agreed that moving across country to be in an assisted living facility near her other two children was best. She lived another 5 years and she actually did not mind her assisted living apartment, meeting lots of new people and having help only a buzzer click away. Mostly, she got to enjoy her children visiting her and not having to give them a list of household repairs that needed to be done.

The best gift you can give your children is to select a maintenacne free home where you can age in place (and your children do not spend every weekend helping you maintain your home), be close to a good alternate transportation system when you should no longer drive and have concerned neighbors who look out for each other.

Mary2014

Old 09-18-2010, 08:37 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,546,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
Just a thought, would it make more sense to take a small mortgage (and the tax advantage) rather than pay the land lease cost which has no tax advantage?
SusieC,

An excellent point. I imagine it will depend upon individual circumstances, but, something to consider. Fixed mortgage rates (very low at the moment) vs land lease costs that will go up with the rate of inflation year after year. - yes something to think about!

Mary2014

Old 09-18-2010, 11:24 AM

45 posts, read 85,328 times
Has anyone looked into the Village of Cinderberry in Sussex County? I got the packet and talked to Pam the sales rep. This place is fee simple and has several nice features. The HOA fees are high, $324.00, but in addition to lawn maintenance, they take care of everything on the outside of the home and shrubs plus snow removal to the front door. It also includes hard line phone with 80 hours of long distance, the Dish cable TV with 100+ channels, and the water for your lawns comes from a well and does not cost the residence anything. The homes claim to be "green" and very energy efficient. Has anyone seen this place and what was your impression. Thinking about visiting in near future.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 6,933 times
Hi TomBee, Charley, et al. . .
Nice that the Village of Cinderberry has well water for lawns. . . . It must save a _lot_ on the water bills there, but I think the HOA fees _are_ steep and after Googling "Village of Cinderberry in Sussex County, DE" I noted that it seems all of the units are duplexes or perhaps even triplexes. All of the VOC units listed by a local Sussex county realtor that I saw on their website were built between 2004 & 2006. I (and it seems to me most of those people on this thread) am interested in a new-construction private single home in a 55+ community, _if_ at all possible.
It's all about the trade-offs one is willing to make, I guess. . . . That's what shopping for a home of any kind is all about.
By the way, I thought that another nice feature the homes in Roesville have is a full _staircase_ to the attic over the 2-car garages in each house. Nice to have an old-fashioned attic (even if it is not so big), with a regular staircase instead of one of those pull-down-from-the-ceiling-in-one-of-your-hallways-ladders as an entrance to the attic/storage area.
I think the discussions recently about many of us being in the 4th down (and for myself and my Missus maybe "going long" as well) and considerations about your family and children _do_ have much relevance to shopping for a home to live in post-retirement. I don't think that private-home 55+ communities are just a "fad." During the 1960s and 1970s condominiums for the 55+ folks were the "fad" but my parents retired to Florida and lived-out their golden years there: "We're not New Yorkers any more, Bobby, we're _Floridians_; we've lived here for 26 years now," is what my Mom told me quite a few years ago. When Mom and Dad were gone, my brother and I were able to sell the condo and realize a profit. Dunno if that's something that happens often, but - personally - I'm going to live _my_ life and if I _can_ I'll leave enough for my kids, but I'm not going to make myself crazy worrying about that.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:11 PM

560 posts, read 804,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaknItEZ View Post
Hi TomBee, Charley, et al. . .
Nice that the Village of Cinderberry has well water for lawns. . . . By the way, I thought that another nice feature the homes in Roesville have is a full _staircase_ to the attic over the 2-car garages in each house. Nice to have an old-fashioned attic (even if it is not so big), with a regular staircase instead of one of those pull-down-from-the-ceiling-in-one-of-your-hallways-ladders as an entrance to the attic/storage area..
The full stairway up to the attic was one of the things we felt strongly about when we chose Roesville. Also, we do plan on putting in a well for irrigation. One other thing we decided to do was to add a "service door" on the side of the garage. That's one option you should consider for convenience. Keep in mind that if you do have pets, Roesville does allow residents to fence in the back yard...many of the other 55+ communities do not. These may sound like "little things", but we felt they were important.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:42 PM

How do they do lawn cutting with a fenced in backyard at Roesville? It is my understanding that no fences or out buildings are allowed due to lawn maintenance. Most communities like to do all of the lawns on one day and fences complicate this process. I spoke to Pam the sales rep at the Village of Cinderberry today and single family homes are available and they have several already. They are the same layout as the carriage houses just separated. They presently have 40 lots vacant and can put whatever kind of home they offer on them. This community is a +50 community, so there will be some young pups there. The community is suppose to consist of 170 units and they have an indoor pool. Going to check it out next week. Will write a report when I get back.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:49 PM

560 posts, read 804,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBee View Post
How do they do lawn cutting with a fenced in backyard at Roesville? It is my understanding that no fences or out buildings are allowed due to lawn maintenance. Most communities like to do all of the lawns on one day and fences complicate this process. .

Lawn care inside the fenced in yard is the owner's responsibility and the HOA rules state that the grass must be mowed at or around the same day as the landscapers mow. Seems reasonable to us.
"Out buildings" (sheds) are permitted as long as they match the design and colors of the house. There are minor restrictions as to size and where they must be placed in the back yard.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:01 PM

If I'm Goin'2DE I didn't think I would need to take a lawn mower. Isn't that he whole point?

Old 09-18-2010, 06:20 PM

All I need is a neighbor that puts up a fence and has a barking dog every time I go out into my yard. Not a selling point for me and how much does it cost to put in a well in Delaware?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware