U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 AM

560 posts, read 805,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Oh, o.k. Here's a picture of our State Bird, and a little history.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I do believe that is the prettiest hen I have ever seen. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Yac; 01-17-2014 at 05:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 08:22 PM

137 posts, read 282,229 times
Post Return of NY State License Tags after a move out of state

This is just an FYI for New Yorkers moving out of state to Delaware, or anywhere else. I thought it would be good to put in this forum since there is great interest among future retirees from NY moving to Delaware.

When we moved to Michigan back in 1998, my dh just took off our NY tags and tucked them away after he put on the new Michigan tags. Last year when he went to renew his driver's license in Michigan, he couldn't because NY had put a hold on. Come to find out, he was supposed to return his NY tags after moving out of state. We didn't know that. He had to pay a fine and send the tags back before Michigan would renew his driver's license.

I don't know if the retiring and moving New Yorkers were aware of this, but thought I'd post it for general information. I also don't know if this was specific to Michigan, but if you are a New Yorker, you can look into it.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:37 AM

388 posts, read 853,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollar View Post
This is just an FYI for New Yorkers moving out of state to Delaware, or anywhere else. I thought it would be good to put in this forum since there is great interest among future retirees from NY moving to Delaware.

When we moved to Michigan back in 1998, my dh just took off our NY tags and tucked them away after he put on the new Michigan tags. Last year when he went to renew his driver's license in Michigan, he couldn't because NY had put a hold on. Come to find out, he was supposed to return his NY tags after moving out of state. We didn't know that. He had to pay a fine and send the tags back before Michigan would renew his driver's license.

I don't know if the retiring and moving New Yorkers were aware of this, but thought I'd post it for general information. I also don't know if this was specific to Michigan, but if you are a New Yorker, you can look into it.
I don't think this is just specific for NY tags and I am surprised the MI DMV clerk didn't inform you about returning them as that is part of their job. When we moved from PA to NH, we were told to destroy the PA plates ourselves and they would notify PA that we were now residents in NH. Hubby did take tinsnips to the plates. This was before 9/11, however, and since then the states may have tightened their rules because when we moved from NH to ME, we physically had to surrender the NH plates. Again I am surprised the MI clerk didn't tell you and I am sorry to hear a fine had to be paid by you.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,937 times
Default Other concerns with HOA Fees

I recently visited Independence a 55+ community in Millsboro, DE..a very beautiful community with well constructed homes. The sales staff was extremely knowledgeable and I loved the homes and surrounding area. There is only one Show-Stopper - the additional mandatory requirement to join the 'Club' or as you may know it a builder provided community center for the retired residents to enjoy. I was never told about this additional fee until I asked to go into a sales agreement and received the paperwork to review, sign and mail back with a check. I am very disappointed and will most likely decline this agreement.
Some things to consider - the HOA fees are advertised at $295 mo, with a flat fee of $2000 at settlement - this seemed very normal to me. But amongst the 2" of paperwork, tucked down inside was a document describing the "Club". This is not owned by the residents of the HOA but a separate ownership by the builder and other investors. However, if you are buying a home in Independence you are forced to pay $1000 at settlement, in addition to the 2k, and you must join the Club at a fee of $125 per mo. AND you cannot opt out of this Ever. And worst of all, the Club can assess you at their discression with any amount they feel is necessary for any additional expenses. The owners of this Club can sell it to private buyers who can do anything they want with it. This smells like the Ryan home issue that is currently in a Del Court- chk out More, on Delaware Attorney General suing Ryan Homes (NVR) for fraud |

Has anyone else experienced this issue with Independence??

Old 11-15-2010, 03:06 PM

16 posts, read 24,682 times
Default Independence

WOW...thanks so much for posting about the HOA at Independence...at the moment, Indy is on the top of our list...but now that I have read what you wrote on the additional fees, we are having our doubts...although we weren't as close to signing as you were, we had visited it twice and I was in contact via email with John Farro...also my husband has spoken on the phone with one of the residents and asked lots of questions...interesting that never came up...guess we may have to go back to the drawing board...

What was next on your list? Where will you look now?

Thanks for posting...
Nan

Old 11-15-2010, 08:25 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,558,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladyone View Post
I recently visited Independence Some things to consider - the HOA fees are advertised at $295 mo, with a flat fee of $2000 at settlement - this seemed very normal to me. But amongst the 2" of paperwork, tucked down inside was a document describing the "Club". This is not owned by the residents of the HOA but a separate ownership by the builder and other investors. However, if you are buying a home in Independence you are forced to pay $1000 at settlement, in addition to the 2k, and you must join the Club at a fee of $125 per mo. AND you cannot opt out of this Ever. And worst of all, the Club can assess you at their discression with any can sell it to private buyers who can do anything they want with it. This smells like the Ryan home issue that is currently in a Del Court- chk out amount they feel is necessary for any additional expenses. The owners of this Club More, on Delaware Attorney General suing Ryan Homes (NVR) for fraud |

Has anyone else experienced this issue with Independence??
Paladyone,
Was this extra fee of $125 per month plus an extra fee of $1000 -how you interput the document you were reviewing or did you call and ask for a clarification and that is how the sales manager explained it to you?

I ask, because when I looked into another Schell Brothers community (The Vineyards at Nassau Valley - condos) they quoted the condo/HOA fee of around $285 per month. - They break it out in their contract because the HOA fee and the condo fee have to be stated seperately. The HOA covers one group of costs while the condo fee covers another group of costs. In the case of TVNV the condo portion of the fee had a built in 3.5 % increase each year, while the HOA portion increased at a slightly different percentage each year.

At all of the places I have look at thus far - the HOA does not own the buildings and you can not opt out of paying the HOA fees - so I don't find this unusual. However, I am wondering if the $1000 + $125 per month extra you see stated in the contract might just be them spliting the $2000 plus $295 per month to designate what portion of those fees are designated as HOA. Did you call the sales manager and ask him about these additional items in your contract?

Mary2014

Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,570,658 times
Never been to the Delaware forum before. I had to click on it to see why this thread was always the one showing up on cd-forum main page. I didn't read enough to get an answer.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:05 PM

5 posts, read 8,878 times
What happens if Schell goes under and cannot subsidize the clubhouse?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letztalksenz View Post
What happens if Schell goes under and cannot subsidize the clubhouse?
We visited Independence (and other 55+ communities in DE) a few times before making our final decision. We were very impressed with the homes, the clubhouses and the general area, but like you, we found the fees, etc. a bit over of our budget at the time. As we took tours of some of the prettiest clubhouses, we couldn't help but notice that there were few, if any, residents anywhere to be seen. Why were the exercise rooms not in use? Where were the shuffleboarders, card players, swimmers? Why were these people paying $200-$300 a month and not taking advantage of the facilities? I still can't answer those questions.

The questions that we had asked ourselves are "Is the need for a fancy clubhouse high on our priority list? Will we personally use it enough to get our money's worth?" We decided that "no" was the answer to both questions. I play golf, and hubby likes to bass fish from his canoe. We walk, ride our bikes, socialize with our new friends, take day trips, and when it's rainy/snowy we watch movies or read books. What we really wanted was to live peacefully in a nice home, in a quiet area with other 55+ neighbors nearby.

My advice? Make your priority list, find the community that fits your needs, and then go for it. Don't pay for something you won't use. And keep in mind that worrying too much about a future that you can't control is bad for your blood pressure!!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:01 AM

Where has the time gone? It's hard to believe that we've been in our new home for over a month already! The weather has been great and almost all of the boxes are unpacked. The place now looks like the warm and cozy home we had hoped for. The kids are coming for Thanksgiving and we're sure it will meet with their approval. We have two neighborhood functions to attend this weekend and the neighbors we have met are like old friends already. Life is good!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware