U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 11:20 AM

388 posts, read 849,814 times

Advertisements

Received a call this morning from our realtor - house and septic inspections last week went well, only minor (less than $500 worth) of repairs asked for, bank appraisal done, their mortgage in process, surveyor through property, pictures taken by their insurance guy, etc etc etc. Our phone has rung more times this past week than the whole 5 years we have lived here, or so it seems! While waiting for the favorable inspection report, I have narrowed down our rental choices in Lewes, hubby has donated his elderly pick-up truck to Purple Heart Veterans, and tomorrow the best chore of all - I turn in my 2 week notice at work! This now leaves only 999 more things we have to attend to in the next 3 weeks.

I have also received several private messages and even some phone calls from current CC residents encouraging us on with tales of upcoming parties and events. This is such an exhilarating time for us - lots of stress and pressure but our eyes are on the prize. Thank you all. I will drop in every so often before the move to catch up on news here on the forum and let you in on our progress as we head in a southernly direction. As they say, stay tuned........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 01:27 PM

560 posts, read 804,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I know there must be some discussion of this in the 209 pages of this thread, but I don't intend to go back and read through all those; however, this is a subject that intrigues me: what is the attraction of 55+ communities? Would any of the frequent posters here like to sum up what the motivations for buying in these communities include?
I do believe that Charley summed it up rather nicely. I can only add 2 things: 1.) We are in close proximity to the historic and cultural centers of D.C., Philadelphia, NYC, Wilmington, Maryland, Virginia, and a short ferry ride to Victorian Cape May, NJ. 2.) The climate attracted us as we love ALL four seasons of the year...Delaware is balanced perfectly.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:48 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,294,023 times
But most of what you mention - Goin2 and Charley - isn't specific to 55+ communities. You cite various things that are generally true for Delaware, and that can be obained by having your home custom- or semi-custom built, and by living in a place with a strong HOA (our former HOA in Austin, TX offered a pool, clubhouse, tennis courts, community classes and groups of various sorts, etc). Only the exterior and roof maintenance and the level of lawn care seem to be fairly unique to single-family homes in a 55+ community (if you live in a townhouse style condo community without the 55+ restriction you still get all the exterior and common areas care). My partner and I are both 55+ but neither of us wants to live in a community inhabited only by a bunch of other old fogeys. OTOH we don't want to live in a community of 30-something breeders with tricycles littering the sidewalks. There's a wide range of choice, however, between the two extremes. I'm not condemning 55+ communities, just not my cup of tea. But what I do note is that most of the reasons cited just weren't unique features of 55+ communities per se.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:50 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,974,247 times
Quote:
My partner and I are both 55+ but neither of us wants to live in a community inhabited only by a bunch of other old fogeys.
Well then I guess you won't be joining us old fogeys. But thanks for asking.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:12 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,011,876 times
55+ Communities

Now.......granted Delaware is a small state, but, I still suspect that number may be a bit on the conservative side.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
55+ Communities

Now.......granted Delaware is a small state, but, I still suspect that number may be a bit on the conservative side.
What number is that, Dusty?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM

OK, I got a dm suggesting that one aspect to the 55+ communities was that the folks who buy there are "all out-of-staters wanting to live next to other out-of-staters". Frankly, I doubt that is a conscious motive of the out-of-staters who buy in these communities, yet I wonder if there is something less "intimidating" for them about buying in these 55+ ghettos full of tax expats from other states than in the more usual sort of housing developments and neighborhoods new and old. Could there be an unconscious element of the selection process going on along these lines? I don't know. I'm an out-of-stater, although to me the move to DE was also a return to the Mid-Atlantic region of my childhood and I had no thoughts of moving anywhere other than an established community along the usual lines where we have a mix of ages, I mow my own lawn (something I like to do), and worry about the exterior and roof of my house myself. This should, however, probably be the conclusion of this tangent. I don't wish to disrupt this thread and merely wanted to ask about something that I've wondered about for a long time.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
55+ ghettos
That's pretty offensive and inappropriate. The fact that the 55+ communities is not your cup of tea does not give you license to insult those of us who are making that choice. But at least it's a relief to know that I will not have you as my neighbor!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:57 PM

Oh don't be so thinned skinned. Geez -- in Austin we talked about the "student ghetto" and the lack of a "gay ghetto" in that city. A homogenous population all living together in a small area= ghetto. Get over it, Charles!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 PM

560 posts, read 804,293 times
doctorjef...
You wrote: "My partner and I are both 55+ but neither of us wants to live in a community inhabited only by a bunch of other old fogeys. OTOH we don't want to live in a community of 30-something breeders with tricycles littering the sidewalks. There's a wide range of choice, however, between the two extremes. I'm not condemning 55+ communities, just not my cup of tea."

Have you posted on this forum in the past using a different screen name? Your vitriolic commentary seems somewhat familiar.

Last edited by Goin'2DE; 01-09-2011 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware