U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 03:04 AM

7,320 posts, read 10,750,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollar View Post
Re the 747s, I would guess they bring them in from overseas, and the Falcon 20s take them home individually to their states. I'll see if I can find out. What is so very sad is that they have had to enlarge the mortuary on base.
DAFB has the distinction of having the Department of Defense' largest joint-service mortuary facility, and the only one in the continental United States. That is the Charles C. Carson Mortuary.
Dover Air Force Base - Units
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 AM

135 posts, read 265,848 times
This is something I have forgotten to talk about in my past postings...the "locals". I (and my fellow out of towners) are continually amazed at the genuine friendliness and caring shown by the people we encounter on a day to day basis. An example, we were in the local Dollar store looking for bingo cards. The cashier said they don't carry them but she had tons of them at home which she would put in her car and, if we would come back, she'd give them to us. Well, we came back and she had a bag of 100 cards plus markers for us! While waiting on line, people will almost always strike up a conversation. They are most welcoming to out of staters.
BTW, we have only one homeowner who goes to FL for the winter (wish it was us)! Another snow fall last night..it DOES snow in Delaware.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 AM

560 posts, read 804,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patc-v View Post
I hope I'm doing the quote thing correctly.

Sanddollar you mentioned something I've wondered about. Do many in DE 55+ communities winter in warmer climates?

Nothing against that, but I am hoping by focusing more towards Dover to find a community with lots of year round residents.
As far as I know, most of our homeowners are here year round. Naturally some do cruise vacations and out of town visits to family and friends. Because we've only been here a few months, we have not met everyone in Roesville. But we have a nice group who gathers regularly, and a Tuesday afternoon at the movies ladies' group, too. I suspect as Spring arrives and people are outside more, we will meet many more of our neighbors.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 AM

560 posts, read 804,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollar View Post
Patc-v,

Snow removal isn't a big deal for us right now as we are not there. When we come home for Christmas and have snow, we have a son and a grandson to help shovel us out. From what I have heard from our residents, folks in SM help each other shovel their driveways (the community plows the streets) when there are heavy snowfalls. Having the community plow driveways and sidewalks is a nice benefit for CC and Roesville, though.
We had about 2 inches of snow last night. Our street, driveway, and walks had already been cleared this morning when I awoke at 7AM. Life is good...

Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,973,086 times
I'm taking a break from shoveling my 12+ inches so that Marlene can get to school this morning. (Two hour delayed opened) I started at 4:30 AM and will probably spend most of the day doing it. So for those in the 55+ communities enjoying watching others do it for you this morning, my hat is off to you!

Susie, you are so right about the welcoming nature of the folks in Delaware. Specifically in Kent County, where I spend most of my time when visiting, I am amazed. I've had conversations with wait staff in restaurants, checkout cashiers in supermarkets, the clerk at Comcast, and just plain strangers that I encounter in the shops or on the street. Even by phone, I'm amazed. I've called Delaware Electric Cooperative and the DMV and was amazed at the promptness with which the phone is answered, as well as the courtesy of a complete answer to any questions I've asked. Try getting that here in New York! Not a chance. Here in our NY supermarkets, the checkout staff, some of whom have seen us for YEARS barely acknowledge us past hello, and if we were to actually start up a conversation, they look at us like we're from another planet!

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM

124 posts, read 237,005 times
As a resident of CC I can tell that as of today (and to my knowledge) we only have one couple who are spending most of the winter down South (and apparently they go every winter). I do have to tell you that after this month all the rest of us are insanely jealous of these folks and I have made myself a promise that I will plan a southern vacation sometime next winter. Unfortunately much of the South has also been blasted this winter so not sure how far south an old person has to go to get warm! I do know some folks in CC are planning to be gone for a month or so on vacation sometime between now and late spring but most of us do not have 2nd winter homes. Some folks have beach condos that they enjoy in the summer. Several of us with Cabin Fever had lots of fun today playing our fav game "Mexican Train" in our Clubhouse. I came home with a smile on my face and gratitude in my heart that I have such awesome (and fun!) neighbors. One of my fav neighbors is a 94 yr. old woman who lives with her son. She beats us regularly in board games and you should see this tiny gal bowl! Her single game score is higher than my cumulative life time bowling score! Once again I was grateful this morning to live in a community with snow removal. As a single woman I would have had to contracted that done for me this winter.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,201 times
Smile Southern Meadows

I am looking to move to Southern Meadows within the next year or so from Philadelphia -- where we had about 15 inches of snow LAST NIGHT -- we also had 3 inches in the morning and that melted before the storm last night! Was not fun.....

Would love to hear anything anyone can say about Southern Meadows. I'm looking for a resale - I can't manage a new home. I don't seem to find very many resales in Southern Meadows, which may be a good thing..

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks all!

I haven't figured out how to quote text in a message, but guess if I posted more, I might figure it out.....

Helen, hopefully a DE resident by late 2012.

Last edited by hd0829; 01-27-2011 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 PM

137 posts, read 281,825 times
Post Resale homes in Southern Meadows

HD-

Welcome to the Forum!

As far as I can recall, there are at least 4 resales in Southern Meadow. Your best bet would be to call their sales office (I can send you the number in a DM if you need it) and speak to Debbie or Verna. They can give you the prices and models for the resales.

I don't know what size home you are looking for, but if you are a single, you might be interested in their newest model, the Magnolia. It's the smallest one at around 1300 sq ft and would cost the least of the 4 models available. They will be building a new Magnolia model home in the near future, if they haven't already started one.

By the way, we have several folks who are from Pennsylvania who live here, and a few from Philadelphia, too. I wish you all the best as you begin the process of moving to Delaware, and I hope to have you as a neighbor in SM, too.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,201 times
Post Thank you Sanddollar!

Thanks for the info Sanddollar, I still haven't figured out how to quote in a message......

I have talked to Debbie ... and actually stayed at SM for an 'overnighter' back in October in the Magnolia. I do like that model.

I am single and have a good friend that I travel with who is also planning to move to SM (it was originally her idea). She currently lives in NJ and will be retiring in August.

We both hope to move to SM by this time next year - if not sooner. Even though I'm single, I have seen the models at SM and would prefer a bigger home than the new model. I want 2 bedrooms and a den. I have family that will come and visit and don't want them all sleeping in the same room!

I would love to hear from anyone from Philly and get their take on SM.

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 PM

33 posts, read 49,998 times
And me too!! Have you heard if they will be starting the sleep on it soon or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware