U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 PM

1,723 posts, read 3,353,830 times

Advertisements

Invisible fences work well. The only problem I can see with them is that most people won't know there's an invisible fence and get scared out of their wits when some strange dog comes bounding over to them. It's happened to me. I thought for sure I was gonna end up being lunch, but once the dog hit the invisible fence line he stopped. Scared the heck out of me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,137,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Invisible fences work well. The only problem I can see with them is that most people won't know there's an invisible fence and get scared out of their wits when some strange dog comes bounding over to them. It's happened to me. I thought for sure I was gonna end up being lunch, but once the dog hit the invisible fence line he stopped. Scared the heck out of me though.
Its not easy to train an adult dog to use an invisible fence, I'm not sure how old your dog is but he or she will probably run through it a few times before they get uses to it.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:42 AM

4,127 posts, read 13,264,385 times
Most of the invisible fences in my area come w/ training sessions which are very helpful. That said, it probably wouldnt work for mine as they're seniors now, they might get confused given their ages. The invisible fences don't prevent other dogs or animals from running right to the fenced-in dog or even a potential dognapper driving by from taking an unattended dog they may take a liking to, also the batteries eventually stop working, the dogs get out and get picked up by Animal Control (or worse, get hit by a car). I have seen dogs tied out on their owner's property in other communities, whether it's allowable in most, I dont know, am not a big fan of it either as it would have to be totally secure so the dog couldnt get loose and the dog would have to be well behaved and not be tempted to pull or jump if ppl or other dogs walk by etc, maybe it's more doable if the owner is right there and just can't hold the leash as they're doing gardening or something else at the time. As for the inv. fences, they're probably not a bad idea under certain circumstances (a fam. member and a good friend have inv. fences for their dogs and while they're happy w/ them, they're just not comfortable leaving their dogs out unattended w/ them).

ALso, another consideration, if there's an underground water/sprinkler system, the fencing company installing the fence w/h to be very careful not to hit the wrong pipe underground (IF the comm. allows them).

Old 02-11-2011, 12:30 PM

693 posts, read 2,612,093 times
I live in a single family neighborhood and have dogs on both sides of us.

One uses an invisible fence for their dog. Initially the fence allowed the dog to run the entire yard. The dog would charge after bike riders or people walking by, but would stop on a dime. This occurred often until we suggested to our neighbors that they move the fence to enclose only the back. Once the fence was moved that problem was solved. Never had an issue since. From what I'm told, once the dog knows it's boundaries, even if the battery dies, the dog has a memory and will not cross the line.

The installers will put up flags to mark utilities and sprinkler lines and will also put flags marking the wire which helps the dog recognize the boundary .

On the other side, they have two dogs that they let out to run . There is no fence but the dogs are trained to stay in the yard. Our neighbors are always with them when they are outside.

Hope these suggestions help homeowners living in communities with restrictions regarding fencing..

Old 02-11-2011, 01:35 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,292,961 times
Our neighbor immediately across the street has two very cute, yappy little terriers who seem to mind the invisible fence he had installed just fine. They certainly weren't puppies when he had it put in, although I don't think they're more than a few years old. They seem at least to work fine for smaller dogs. Before he had it put in, the little guys were always running over to adjacent yards and across the street.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:58 PM

4,127 posts, read 13,264,385 times
My friend's small dogs are used to their boundaries now, they too werent puppies when theirs was installed and she sometimes dogsits for friends' small dogs and they wear the collars now and know the boundaries (she's always outside w/ them) and has a bit of visible fencing on either side of the house to keep them away from the street, just as an added safeguard - but I do know of cases where dogs (mostly larger) have charged thru the inv. fence, perhaps in pursuit of a deer or a squirrel - some dogs have more of a 'chase' instinct than others - maybe the batteries were old - in one case, the local Animal Control picked up 2 large dogs on a rainy day (not sure if the weather had anything to do with it) who were both wearing collars indicating they had been in an inv. fence - so they're not foolproof but then again, I guess nothing is (fences can be dug under, climbed or jumped over and leashes can break or be jerked away etc). Have heard of cases where a dog can become so nervous and sensitive to the correction beep that the dog absolutely refuses to leave the yard even if the owner is there and the collar is off and the owner wants to take the dog out via the yard (and not the house as it's accustomed to). I guess the best answer is to tailor the decision to whatever works best for each individual dog/person (as long as they don't run loose).

Old 02-11-2011, 05:56 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,373,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
All of the above are permitted in our community. As far as "activities you enjoy"? As far as I know, most activities are available in Delaware, and everything in Delaware is close by.
OK...maybe not too much downhill skiing or mountain climbing
True!

But i wouldnt be taking advantage of any clubhouse, lodge, or group activities - as those dont interest me.

I may still look into the communities again in a few years... as i said, just not yet.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:26 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,546,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
And this has happened to me. Especially scary since I was attacked by a large dog a few years ago.
When I see an animal out and no leash and no fence......I freeze until i realize there is an electrical fence but then my heart has almost stopped

Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,546,161 times
Gotta know the rules of the community before you move in...not after. There are rules in these types of communities and not everyone can deal with them
Yes....most people are thrilled and very happy living in a 55+ community and very few realized it wasn't for them and moved out. I personally know of a few. One house for sale for this reason. Can't deal with the rules.
But for those that can, the trick is finding the right community in which to spend your golden years.

This type of living obviously is NOT for everyone but it sure is for me.

We went on a few trips with modern Maturity and have done ballroom dancing, line dancing and lunches. Not too crazy about the lunches though.
Several here at SM also went for Majong and some other card games. But now SM has a lot of actiivties and the calendar is totally full so we are being kept busy here.
This past fall SM got us a bus and off to Shady Maple in Lancaster we went.

One more thing.......Sanddollar mentioned birdfeeders. Yes SM allows bird feeders.
Several have humming bird feeders and seeded feeders too.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,973,642 times
It looks like Tuesday will be the big day! I'm coming to Delaware to plunk down my money and start the very early stages of building my home at Champions Club! We still won't be moving until next year, but we know what we want so there's no reason to delay the inevitable any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware