U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 AM

4,479 posts, read 4,739,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
We have 2 rentals in Southen Meadow but that is all for the time being.

When the residents heard of the two rentals, they were up in arms. Didn't like the idea and had a meeting with the owner.
He assured them it would only be those 2 homes that would be rented out.

Time will tell.

How unfortunate. I'm sure they would thoroughly screen potential renters and not take any riff raff. Personally, I am not interested in buying yet totally responsible/dependable etc., etc., etc... and am an excellent tenant. I have time and will check to see if things change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 06:08 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,560,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
How unfortunate. I'm sure they would thoroughly screen potential renters and not take any riff raff. Personally, I am not interested in buying yet totally responsible/dependable etc., etc., etc... and am an excellent tenant. I have time and will check to see if things change.
My next move, if it ever happens before the bag and tag me, will be in an apartment. Given much thought and that is what we would do.
I wanted to before we bought this but Dh put up a fuss.

Good luck to you in finding a rental. Don't give up. Have you spoken to a realtor?
I'm sure they could help you find what you are looking for.
Again....best to you.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
My next move, if it ever happens before the bag and tag me, will be in an apartment. Given much thought and that is what we would do.
I wanted to before we bought this but Dh put up a fuss.

Good luck to you in finding a rental. Don't give up. Have you spoken to a realtor?
I'm sure they could help you find what you are looking for.
Again....best to you.

Thanks for such a quick response. Can I ask why you didn't want to buy? I know it is not for everyone and there are times I almost feel like an outcast because I prefer not to buy. There is a lot more to owning than I care to deal with and being alone it is double the work.
Has your DH changed his mind about owning too or is it the 55+ community that you wish to trade?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:50 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,556,984 times
Regarding rentals in 55+ communities - as a homeowner, I would not like a restriction that prevented me from renting my home. This market is a perfect example as to why... suppose you end up in assisted living or a nursing home and your children can't sell the home because of the economy - they should be at least able to rent it to have it bringing in some income to help defray the costs of your new living arrangement. OK, limit rental to those age 55+, but, not to have that option at all I would find unacceptable.

Also, I think being able to rent in a 55+ community gives the individual a better feel if the life style is for them - a lease with an option to buy makes real sense.

Mary2014

Old 03-05-2011, 06:52 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,560,725 times
Well, with us, a 55+ community had a load of plus's and in realty both dh and I wanted it.

But like you said....owning a home can it's drawbacks. If you own the home and something goes after the warranty has expired......your responsible. Something breaks, you repair it. Dh is not handy at all.

You got to know yourself and what you want regardless of what others think.

I see people following the crowd over and over and I wonder???? They go over here....they follow, they go over there, they follow.
This is your life......you decided what is best for you

Best of luck again.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:05 AM

You got to know yourself and what you want regardless of what others think.

I see people following the crowd over and over and I wonder???? They go over here....they follow, they go over there, they follow.
This is your life......you decided what is best for you

Best of luck again.[/quote]

True, true, true... and true.
I totally agree with you hence I hardly go with the flow.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:14 AM

7,352 posts, read 10,792,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
All,
What can anyone tell me about a 55+ condo community called Ceder Bay in Ocean View DE? This is the first condo community I have come across that is designated as a 55+ community. Look's like it was built around 2005 and there may be a few units that have never been sold as well as a few resales on the market.

I may put it on my list of condos to check out on my trip down to Lewes in mid April.
Mary2014
Mary, it appears that not all of Cedar Bay is designated a 55+ community. In fact, out of the 17 that have been for sale since 2005, only 5 are advertised as "age designated". It may have to do with which phase they are in, or it may have been an oversight, but that's a question for you to ask. Price range is $189,000 to $250,000. Many have been rented until they can sell, and there are elevators. Off Rt. 1 to Fred Hudson Rd., right at light onto Cedar Neck Rd. Behind Cheer Center.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:04 PM

rdlr,

What do you think of the Ocean View area vs say the Lewes or Milton area? I had not considered going that far south except for the fact that it is the only condo I have seen designated as a 55+ or in some cases called an age designated condo community.

Also, I will be checking out the condos in the Milton area since it is so close to Lewes. I have noticed the the community called Shipbuilders Village has been underwater multiple times in the past 5 years (based upon newspaper articles) due to drainage issues that have not been addressed by the town. Do you know if this flooding issue is specific to this one community or is flooding a major problem for other communities in Milton as well?

Mary2014

Old 03-05-2011, 03:38 PM

7,352 posts, read 10,792,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
rdlr,

What do you think of the Ocean View area vs say the Lewes or Milton area? I had not considered going that far south except for the fact that it is the only condo I have seen designated as a 55+ or in some cases called an age designated condo community.

Also, I will be checking out the condos in the Milton area since it is so close to Lewes. I have noticed the the community called Shipbuilders Village has been underwater multiple times in the past 5 years (based upon newspaper articles) due to drainage issues that have not been addressed by the town. Do you know if this flooding issue is specific to this one community or is flooding a major problem for other communities in Milton as well?
Mary2014
I love Ocean View, but it's a little more rural in nature than Lewes. And, I don't believe it's as historic. Nevertheless, I would enjoy living there. I also would consider Bethany Beach, west side, although it's much more congested in the summer. You can bike to the ocean from there, and even from Ocean View if you're a biker.

About flooding and Shipbuilders Village, yes....there have been issues. That's in the Town of Milton, and I don't know what the problems are. Other surrounding communities do not have drainage issues that I am aware of. If you know Shipbuilders Village, that subdivision consists of townhomes, single family detached, and twin units. All are in a moderate to low price range. Had you considered Paynter's Mill/Milton?

I don't understand why some units for sale in Cedar Bay note "age designated community" and some do not. There's some contradictory information out there.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 PM

rdlr,
Thanks for the info. I think I will check out Cedar Bay. I am making a list of condos to visit this trip to check out which are NOT handicap accessible - so I can scratch those off my list.

I only know what I have read about Shipbuilders Village and was concerned that other communities in Milton might suffer from the same problems. Paynter's Mill is on my list to visit.

I will be staying in a condo at Plantations this trip - so that community will be easy to check out.

Also will stop by The Vineyards at Nassau Valley to see if there has been any progress in them filling the retail spaces. When I was there last year which big box stores were willing to commit to moving in was still up in the air and smaller retail stores will not move in if there are no big box stores breaking ground.

This trip is to identify if a condo is handicap accessible and if so what is the area like around the condo as far as walkability, shopping, transportation, etc.

I would like to narrow down my search to maybe 3 condo communities by the time I get to 2013.

Mary2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware