U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 PM

53 posts, read 98,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny88 View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your feedback. We have not explore any northern part of DE, so not sure what to look for. Definately, we will want to live in a 55+community but most of all within our budget; 150 to 180K.
Any recommendations on 55+ communities?

Travelling is part of our retirement plan. The concern is the distance to the airport. Currently, we only live about 1/2hr from Newark airport. I like park and gardens, and communities around this setting will be ideal for us.
We are also looking at Del Web communities in Fort Mill & Bluffton, SC. As you mentioned, it could be very muggy and hot in the summer. And I was told their waterbill is unbelievable high. So my option is open.
Looking foward to hear from you.
We just bought a house in Spring Arbor, a 55 and older community in Middletown De. We choose the northern part of Delaware to be closer to our family in Pa.
Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:34 PM

10 posts, read 22,287 times
Default monthly maintenance fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest130 View Post
We just bought a house in Spring Arbor, a 55 and older community in Middletown De. We choose the northern part of Delaware to be closer to our family in Pa.
Pat
Congratution on your new house I also checked on Spring Arbor, very nice according to the web site. Do you know what is the monthly maintenance fees? We currently paid $245 (in NJ)which includes cable, landscaping, snow removal, garbage collect & club house ammenities.
Does anyone know the monthly maintenance fees in Southern Meadow or longacre Village?

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:05 PM

33 posts, read 49,068 times
Hi everyone-just got back to NY from our whirlwind DE visit....not as simple as I thought. I thought I would share my thoughts and please know, this is just my opinion. My husband & I are late 50's & need to work full time for several years. That being said, 2 communities didn't work for us. The 1st was Barclays. We didn't really care for the homes or the location, nice clubhouse & activities. Southern Meadows was also too far off the beaten path for us to try to commute, but the homes were wonderful. We absolutely would be happy in 2 of the houses-they are very well built, and many upgrades are standard. Deb was gracious & all the residents were so friendly! Unfortunately, the only thing missing was breakfast w/Elizamary as she was out of town. Fieldstone Village is a property with small homes that I don't think will ever feel like a "community". We met with Blaire who is the builder for Millennium Homes. His homes are much bigger, extremely well built & the designs meet all our dreams & needs, however, Fieldstone just didn't "feel" right. No community center, pool, etc, & the owner is off building commercial property. to be continued...

Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 PM

part 2! We also saw Nobles Pond-beautiful, but out of our price range & waaay too big-we want to downsize, less to clean, heat, cool, etc. We loved Spring Meadow, everything about the incredible construction, the community "felt" right, the design, we thought could work...so, we went back for a 3rd visit & crunched the #'s. I kept taking things off my wish list, but the price still kept going up. After 2 hours, I realized that it was too much work to make it fit for our needs & wants. So,,we went to Longacre Village(KHovnanian) of 13 just south of Dover. This may work. They are rolling out 2 new home plans, smaller sqaure ft...I keep saying it's not the square footage, but the layout.
see part 3

Old 03-23-2011, 05:18 PM

part 3 Sorry to go on so long, but if 1 person gets 1 thing that helps.... So, Longacre is on property off 13, there are 4 builders that all built a few homes(all 55+) & now Hovnanian will finish building about another 75-100 & the clubhouse. The Ambassador is their smallest, but the model has been bumped out in most rooms, but 2 more new designs should be built by May to look at. I think this may work for us & it feels "right". If we can if the cost can be kept very close to $200, then we will see. I would certainly appreciate feedback about the builder, location, etc from anyone. So far, that's where we are at...living on Long Island will mean a future of debt, working 2 jobs & that is not gonna happen!
Regards to all.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 PM

10 posts, read 22,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanani View Post
part 3 Sorry to go on so long, but if 1 person gets 1 thing that helps.... So, Longacre is on property off 13, there are 4 builders that all built a few homes(all 55+) & now Hovnanian will finish building about another 75-100 & the clubhouse. The Ambassador is their smallest, but the model has been bumped out in most rooms, but 2 more new designs should be built by May to look at. I think this may work for us & it feels "right". If we can if the cost can be kept very close to $200, then we will see. I would certainly appreciate feedback about the builder, location, etc from anyone. So far, that's where we are at...living on Long Island will mean a future of debt, working 2 jobs & that is not gonna happen!
Regards to all.
Hi Oceanani,

What you have on your list is the same as mine; down size, less to clean, utilities and the budget is around $200k. I am also in my early 50's and intend to work if I could find work in DE. You have done all the hardwork by going through all the sites; me instead; checking all of them on the web site and came to a conclusion that Ambassor in Longacre Village might work for us too. Can I pm you for further questions?

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:59 PM

of course! We are all in this together!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:40 PM

75 posts, read 123,671 times
Oceanani thank you for your wonderful report. In my report to this forum Oct. 8, 2010 I touched on Longacres Village...if you’re interested you can review it here for further info:

DE.Trip Report

I too wanted more info on K. Hovnanian.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 PM

33 posts, read 50,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanani View Post
Hi everyone-just got back to NY from our whirlwind DE visit....not as simple as I thought. I thought I would share my thoughts and please know, this is just my opinion. My husband & I are late 50's & need to work full time for several years. That being said, 2 communities didn't work for us. The 1st was Barclays. We didn't really care for the homes or the location, nice clubhouse & activities. Southern Meadows was also too far off the beaten path for us to try to commute, but the homes were wonderful. We absolutely would be happy in 2 of the houses-they are very well built, and many upgrades are standard. Deb was gracious & all the residents were so friendly! Unfortunately, the only thing missing was breakfast w/Elizamary as she was out of town. Fieldstone Village is a property with small homes that I don't think will ever feel like a "community". We met with Blaire who is the builder for Millennium Homes. His homes are much bigger, extremely well built & the designs meet all our dreams & needs, however, Fieldstone just didn't "feel" right. No community center, pool, etc, & the owner is off building commercial property. to be continued...
Well you had quite a trip! Thank you for sharing all that. I should stop into Longacre Village myself. I have not been there, but it actually pretty close to Southern Meadow?

Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 PM

33 posts, read 50,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2DE View Post
Oceanani thank you for your wonderful report. In my report to this forum Oct. 8, 2010 I touched on Longacres Village...if you’re interested you can review it here for further info:

DE.Trip Report

I too wanted more info on K. Hovnanian.
Have you already moved? Maybe I missed that post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware