U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 03:25 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,974,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patc-v View Post
Do the options seem unbelievably overpriced?
Everyone's answers will probably depend on the options they've chosen and where they are coming from, location-wise. For the options we are choosing, the prices seem to be about what we would have expected in most cases. But then again, we've chosen very simple options and appliances, and from what we've been able to research and compare, the prices are pretty much in line with expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 03:37 PM

7,325 posts, read 10,754,669 times
Quote:
I doubt McKee is the only builder doing this, but I would like to hear about other people's experience. Please don't say it is inflation, I'm talking 300-400% over what I've seen before for less than what I got then.
thanks
I'm not a buyer for a 55+ community, but I have seen many, many new construction option lists with prices noted for each selection. They can vary tremendously from community to community, and yes, some are extremely high. The builder has hard and soft costs to meet, Depending upon what the builder paid for the land, base prices of new construction and options will vary. It goes without saying, that a parcel of land located within a designated growth zone (Magnolia), with public water, sewer, and gas available, costs the builder more. Then there are the impact fees to tie in to utilities, lot preparation, etc. Bottom line, he passes those costs on to the prospective buyer in one form or another, or all. Nothing wrong with that, he has to make a profit. Subdivisions not located within a designated growth zone offer lower priced models, and lower priced options. Location, Location, Location.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:54 PM

388 posts, read 849,814 times
rdlr, Thanks for the explanation from the "other" side point of view. I can remember thinking some options we picked were high-priced but not outrageously so that we opted to buy on our own. The sheer number of things one has to choose causes mental overload and it seems after a while, one could think "Ah, so what....". I know I thought that on some iterms but again none were so over-priced as to warrant our going out on our own to purchase. I know some people who have chosen to buy items on their own as they had a strong desire for a certain make or model of appliance or type of lighting fixture, for example. In our case, and I can only state my feelings on the matter, that yes, some items were high but not in the 300% mark-up range suggested by the above poster. But seeing what a builder has to contend with behind the scenes perhaps makes it easier to swallow. Thank you for pointing that out, rdlr.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:00 PM

There is one other aspect that plays a role in the "pricing" as well. The cost for the vast majority of the options I've chosen will disappear when the "builder's incentives" are credited at settlement.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:53 PM

7,325 posts, read 10,754,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
rdlr, Thanks for the explanation from the "other" side point of view. I can remember thinking some options we picked were high-priced but not outrageously so that we opted to buy on our own.
You're welcome little eggplant! Another thing I'd like to mention. What's expensive, and what is not, is in the eye of the beholder. For instance, if you come from a state where homes have sold for much more than those in Delaware....the new homes here and options may seem very reasonable when compared to those in the prospective buyer's home state. And that's no secret to the builders/developers, who market their 55+ products to attract those from other states. Nothing wrong with that, either. It's just good business.

On the other hand (and from my prospective) the realm of thinking here in Delaware is a little different. Consider a one hundred acre (100 ac.) farm improved by an average quality home. That could possibly sell for between $250,000-$350,000. Many newly constructed homes on small lots in new communities seem quite expensive to the Delawareans I know. It's all relative. So, it's a bargain, or it's not. Or, it's an incentive, or you're paying for that incentive someplace else. I say, if you like it, and can afford it, buy it if you want it. It's your retirement.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 PM

560 posts, read 804,293 times
Quote:
We had our preliminary decorator options visit and I have a question for everyone who has already gone through this process at all communities not just CC. Do the options seem unbelievably overpriced?

I could not believe the prices of some things.
thanks
In my opinion, structural options...sunrooms, basements, screened porches, etc...are worth the additional costs. But some of the "little things"...like light fixtures, faucets, ceiling fans, ceramic tile...do seem a bit over priced. For example, the ceiling fans...we did have the builder install one in the master suite and the loft bedroom, but the other rooms we just had the wiring done so we could add the fans at a later time. Everyone has his/her own opinion and some homeowners are handier than others. We also went with the standard interior paint. We decided this mainly because I want new drapes and furniture and prefer to do the interior slowly and to my liking.

It'll all work out for you. It just seems a bit overwhelming at first.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:30 PM

27 posts, read 43,609 times
Default overpriced options

Thanks for everyone's input. We are mainly doing structural options, since my husband is very handy. He used to have a remodeling business and still does a lot of that in his "semi-retirement." We would not do things like having a builder put in a ceiling fan, but the wiring is another story.

Homes in DE are much cheaper than where we live near Newport, RI. But I have been told by more than one person that the builders make their biggest profit on the options.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 PM

96 posts, read 168,769 times
Hello, all! I've been 'offline' for quite some time. No excuses... just super busy with everything from new responsibilities at work, family and trying to get this house sold! (Yes, it's 11 months in now and the price just got lowered AGAIN. Ugh.) I've missed following y'all but am so happy to hear that so many of you are now in your new homes and others are getting closer and closer. (Loved the pic, Charley!) I have also had the good fortune to dine with Elizamary a couple times in the interim--generally on my way down to VA.

I've been trying to catch up here on the 55+ thread and am pleased to see a number of new folks coming in with both questions and reports on their visits. If I may, I'd like to tack on a few items that I hope will help a few of you regarding my chosen community, Nobles Pond.

First, the fee simple changeover is, indeed, complete. (Nobles Pond has responded to those many people who clearly stated that they turned away only because of the land lease status.) BTW, somewhere here I read some incorrect charges about current owners being forced to buy their land (i.e., get 'blindsided' after they'd already bought under a different business model). Since I didn't see (or may have missed) any rebuttal to that, let me do that now. Residents were given the choice. No one has been forced to do anything. Most residents were eager to buy. Those who did not wish to buy their land, experienced no changes at all.

The new land owners are having their community fees lowered to (I believe I'm correct here) $175. This coming weekend (5/20-22) though, NP is having their Spring Open House and will be offering an unbelievably low fee rate incentive for new contracts that'll be guaranteed for 2 years. (I think it’s under $50! Yikes!!!)

Next, homes there are fully stick-built and have been for awhile now. The downturn in the economy caused so many layoffs industry-wide that it was taking 'forever' to get delivery on the modulars, so NP made the decision to build the homes on-site. A VA friend and her husband, a retired contractor, visited NP with me not long ago. While she and I chatted with Brian, her hubby checked out the construction six ways to Sunday. He gave a big thumbs-up, so I knew with certainty that it was right for me. My choice was the Hampton, but 2 newer models have come online since (and 1 is now built and occupied), plus 2 or 3 additional new models are being introduced at this weekend's Open House. (Unfortunately, they aren’t yet on the website but should be soon.) I'm going down for the event and taking along a friend who loved the community a year ago, but nixed it on learning that it was land lease. Now, with fee simple, she wants to return for another look at NP, along with a look at a couple other communities she liked on her last trip down.

I look forward to a fun weekend as I always enjoy seeing the ‘long-time’ residents and meeting new ones as well as catching up with Brain, Mary and Colleen and so many others on staff. Everyone there is very nice and several residents have been so kind as to suggest that I not necessarily have all my options installed during construction (e.g., ceiling fans, etc.) but, rather, have the prep work done during building and they’d help me with getting things in when I move in. Lovely, lovely people! (Patc-v, I always think of these options like going to the movies: $16 to see the movie--2 people at matinee rates--and $23 for 2 popcorns and cokes.) I may take them up on that plus do my own interior painting (with my daughter’s help) to save a bit. It’s worth a thought. Or two.

So there we are. For now, at least. I’ll report on anything new that I learn from the weekend and, as I promised long ago, I’ll be more diligent when (whenever!) I get there. BTW, I also noticed that there’s ‘big lady’ who is a resident there. Good for you for posting! And Tombee who’s trying to get there. If y’all, or any others, are at the Open House this weekend, I hope we can meet! (Ask Brian for Judy.)

Old 05-17-2011, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Jude, na na na na View Post
I've been trying to catch up here on the 55+ thread and am pleased to see a number of new folks coming in with both questions and reports on their visits. If I may, I'd like to tack on a few items that I hope will help a few of you regarding my chosen community, Nobles Pond.
Congratulations. The Hampton model is a beautiful choice.

Please pass along my regards to Mary when you speak with her next. She was always very nice to Marlene and me as we were doing our search for a home.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:52 AM

45 posts, read 85,312 times
Hi everyone,

It's true that my wife and I were fully committed to Nobles Pond even prior to its going fee simple but as you know in life, s--t happens. As it turns out we have stumbled onto a wonderful opportunity to get a beautiful home in a 55+ community right here in our hometown in New Jersey. The community has all of the amenities and is now completed with 104 homes. We actually got one of the last homes there, thus the great deal. It allows us to stay home near family and friends and they could not be happier. It is very sad to think we will not be neighbors with all of our friends at Nobles Pond. I have contacted them and explained the situation and of course they understand, that's the kind of people they are. We still intend to visit and will never forget how we were welcomed into their community. I couldn't be happier for the new direction that Nobles Pond is going and would highly recommend that anyone looking in Delaware for a 55+ community give them a serious look. Thanks to everyone on this site for their contributions and keep up the good work. I did contact Charley and he knows about our new plans. This will be my last post on this site. Because we are staying in NJ I feel that posting on the Delaware site would not be appropriate. I wish everyone good luck in their journey and my wife and I hope that everyone finds their dream home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware