Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 10:24 AM

75 posts, read 138,995 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I read an article concerning baby boomers living in modern, trendy, young oriented cities titled; "Aging boomers strain cities built for the young". Catchy title…as if to say baby boomers are now becoming a burden on the cities they helped built when we were young. But actually the article discusses the issues which Mary2014 has brought to our attention many times in this 55+ thread, the issue of aging in place and the many programs which are being looked at throughout many cities in the US and on an international level by WHO (World Health Organization). Whereas yesterday this article was in the health and lifestyles section of the news, today it made the political page…go figure. After sending the Article to Mary2014, she suggested that some here may be interested in reading what is being done in other areas of the country concerning our issues.

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/...ung/49175380/1

If that link doen't cut it then try this one:

http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/...for-the-young/

Cheers All

Last edited by NY2DE; 07-11-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 10:49 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,407,375 times
Wink Sort of surprising

I know some retired or about to be retired people who want to live in or near cities, in neighborhoods with all ages. To each their own. I prefer to look for a 55+ community and definitely one floor living. We never know what the future will bring. I live in a 2-story condo now, bathroom upstairs near the bedroom and kitchen downstairs. Many times over the years I have been there, older people had to move out when they could no longer handle a narrow, spiral, staircase with tiny steps. If on crutches it would be impossible.

Has anyone down there heard how the changes at Barclay Farms in Camden are going? They might go fee-simple, which would be perfect for me, as I loved the community, location, pool, etc. but that monthly lease would take a big bite out of my retirement income every month. Also, how are sales going at Noble Pond? I plan to come down late in Oct. or early Nov. and look at both places again and this time, hopefully, make a decision.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Connecticut Retiree

Old 07-11-2011, 11:58 AM

293 posts, read 587,742 times
The subject of Barclay Farms is about the same,Its really in the hands of Lawyers,from what I read on the homeowners group web-page.I did e-mail you retiree2011 about this about week or so ago.I guess you didnt recieve it.Barclay Farms Homeowners Civic Association is there web-site.Enjoy!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:07 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,948,293 times
Interesting article NY2DE--thanks for sharing. There are a lot of benefits to retiring "in place" as they seem to be calling it, but we're still planning to move to DE anyway.

Sometimes I wonder how financially healthy all the 55+ communities will remain if more and more people decide to retire in place. Some will do well, others may have a hard time replacing residents over time. It's something to consider when choosing a community to live in.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:09 PM

388 posts, read 993,038 times
NY2DE - you brought up the subject again about aging in place like Mary2014 has several times and I have always meant to comment on something I don't ever recall reading on this thread. There are communities referred to as life care communities where you come in and essentially die there eventually, all the while having a vibrant community of peers. They are slowly becoming popular in New England where we lived for the past 10+ years. These communities have apartment-like condos or detached houses, full social and active amenities (pool, craft classes, hiking trails, kayaking, etc), and also on campus a mini-hospital which serves the residents' needs short of surgery. We toured several, even considered one in Vermont, but decided the concept was not for us. It would certainly appeal to those who like the idea of knowing where you will be for the rest of your life. When you no longer need your car, they have transport to shopping, church, social events, etc. When your health declines they have an assisted living wing. In other words, just about all your needs are taken care of for a handsome price, of course. It is an interesting concept which is spreading slowly to other states.

Sorry, a little off-topic, but one which may prompt others to consider. It all comes down to what YOU need.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:30 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,523,923 times
little eggplant,

We have one of those life care communities near Longwood Gardens in south eastern PA. It guarentee's your care right through and including a nursing home on site. Only for the really wealthy. They have their place - but, not in the price range for the avarage retiree.

By the way, when I refer to "aging in place" I am not refering to a specific kind of 55+ community, but, rather a layout of a home and a location that provides you the ability to continue being active even when you can no longer drive. The location does not necessarily require living in a city. It just has to have alternative methods of getting to the doctor, grocery store etc. besides driving a car.

I did like some of the ideas that are being tried around the country. Like the idea of grocery stores having public rest rooms, local shops having a place to sit down and rest. Love the idea of school busses offering senior citizens transportation when they are not being used to transport kids to and from school during the day.

Mary2014

Old 07-11-2011, 06:47 PM

75 posts, read 138,995 times
Mary2014 I concur, I think there’s been some misinterpretation concerning the issues in the article. The article is not promoting any one form of living (see footnote below) but does discuss creative ways to improve community and business planning and building considerations to better suit our aging society. Many of their ideas were eye opening to me in how simple it was to make small changes that can go a long way to improve life for all concerned...buisnesses, communities and aging citizens. To me “aging in place” simply means having everything as convenient and accessible as possible so that having to do everyday things doesn’t become an undue burden. Oh, and BTW, these same solutions can work just as well outside the confines of big cities.

Footnote: The three different general types of retirement communities:

Independent Living retirement community
Assisted living retirement community
Continuing care retirement community

Last edited by NY2DE; 07-11-2011 at 07:00 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJVillasOutsider View Post
The subject of Barclay Farms is about the same,Its really in the hands of Lawyers,from what I read on the homeowners group web-page.I did e-mail you retiree2011 about this about week or so ago.I guess you didnt recieve it.Barclay Farms Homeowners Civic Association is there web-site.Enjoy!

Thanks for the link - I did not get the email. I will follow this as I love the location of Barclay Farm and liked the community very much.

Have a good week!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM

9,672 posts, read 14,140,526 times
Be sure to check out Barclay Farms' 4th of July Parade photos in that link above. They have one every year in their community, and it's getting quite lively!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Be sure to check out Barclay Farms' 4th of July Parade photos in that link above. They have one every year in their community, and it's getting quite lively!

Thanks for the suggestion rdlr - I just looked at the parade photos and love the community spirit. I believe I would be very happy living there. I got good vibes when I visited there and stayed overnight a couple of years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware