Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 02:53 PM

388 posts, read 998,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie & Jim View Post
Has anyone heard about the ritual of burying a statue of St. Joseph near the real estate sign? Some say it'll work. We're willing to tryin' everything. Any other ideas? Maybe placing a Delaware magnet or a 'First State' quarter facing south under our front steps? Hmmmm.
If you do some online research, you will find all sorts of ways to bury the St Joseph statue - bury it upside down, bury it on the northwest corner, have it face the street, face the house, bury it during a full moon, etc etc etc. We did not do any of that but someone did give us the Prayer to St Joseph to help bring a buyer. I will admit I did say the prayer but even then it took almost 7 months for the buyer to find us! Honestly, after a while you figure you'll do almost anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 02:55 PM

9,717 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie & Jim View Post
Hi rdlr and FromVAtoDE ... We like this area too and have heard "good vibrations" from both private and commercial sources. Have visited several select 55 communities. However, we're still trying to sell our home in NJ. A must before we can even think about moving. Has anyone heard about the ritual of burying a statue of St. Joseph near the real estate sign? Some say it'll work. We're willing to tryin' everything. Any other ideas? Maybe placing a Delaware magnet or a 'First State' quarter facing south under our front steps? Hmmmm.
Hello there! Yes, I've heard of the St. Joseph plan. Many people try that, some with success, some with none. I had no success with it, personally, when I tried 3-4 years ago. It's not supposed to be anything magical or hoax-like, as per the information that came with the St. Joseph statue I bought, but the exercise is supposed to be prayer-like and serious, accompanied by praying often. It took awhile for our family house to sell, but it finally did. I dug up the statue on settlement day and placed it in a place of honor in our home, as per the directions. We're Catholic, you probably guessed.

You're very innovative! Maybe the Delaware magnet will work! Good luck!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM

25 posts, read 47,653 times
As a retired Realtor of 25 years I can tell you of several personal experiences where St. Joe in the yard (head down) DOES work and I'm not even Catholic! We even sold them in our Assn. of Realtors store! Good luck!!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired & Lovin' It View Post
As a retired Realtor of 25 years I can tell you of several personal experiences where St. Joe in the yard (head down) DOES work and I'm not even Catholic! We even sold them in our Assn. of Realtors store! Good luck!!
Lots of stories out there. I earned my real estate license in 1984, just gave it up, and chose not to take part in that exercise for the 27 years I was in the business, as advised by our priest many years ago. He was not fond of the "luck or magic" connotation, and said, "just pray". Other Realtors in our office had mixed results.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:17 AM

19 posts, read 37,162 times
Lightbulb Song title: "Say a little prayer for me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Lots of stories out there. I earned my real estate license in 1984, just gave it up, and chose not to take part in that exercise for the 27 years I was in the business, as advised by our priest many years ago. He was not fond of the "luck or magic" connotation, and said, "just pray". Other Realtors in our office had mixed results.
Okay then. Guess we'll just have to keep-on keepin'-on (wishin' & hopin') and maintaining status-quo. Just thought maybe somehow we were missing a bit of the magic. Even still . . . the "Dover over-55 scene" remains our objective. Thanks to you all for your honest and quick responses.

Last edited by Billie & Jim; 12-06-2011 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: edit rewrite (a better word)

Old 12-06-2011, 02:24 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
btw......5 years ago we did a novena to St Joseph. First time I missed a day....nothing happend
Second time did it faithfully and in the middle of the novena, the buyer came to our house. At the end of the Novena....we got an offer and accepted.
That was a whewwwwwwwww time
Good luck to all who have their homes on the market and don't despair. I truly believe your home will sell when it is supposed to.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 7,495 times
Hi Billie and Jim,
I did place St.Joseph in my yard, he has to be buried upside down, and I did sell my home. Not at first but it finally did happen. My friend also buried him and sold his place too. When he went to exhume St. Joseph he couldn't find him. Still haven't to this day. We figure he just kept digging to China.....LOL.....Good luck.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 AM

135 posts, read 298,487 times
Navigating the 55+ community terrain can be tricky. If amenities such as a clubhouse/pool are important to you, be sure you buy in a community where they are in place. Horror stories abound in Delaware....four year old developments still have no amenities. Builder's promises can be just that..promises.
Another question to ask is "does the builder own the land"? What is the incentive to build the clubhouse/pool if the builder has to first purchase the land? Will the banks want to finance this investment? How easy for a builder to build a few homes then pull out of a community where they have no vested interest (and this does happen).
Just food for thought!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:41 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoDE View Post
Hi Billie and Jim,
I did place St.Joseph in my yard, he has to be buried upside down, and I did sell my home. Not at first but it finally did happen. My friend also buried him and sold his place too. When he went to exhume St. Joseph he couldn't find him. Still haven't to this day. We figure he just kept digging to China.....LOL.....Good luck.
We buried him feet first then found out about upside down. So Dh went out and redug him and buried him upside down.
After settlement we went to dig him up and couldn't find him.
Needless to say he is still there somewhere.
I think we were just stressed and rush. Everything happened so fast with a major life changing event upon us.
Probably had we more time, it would have worked.

Susie c.....good point especially if a pool and clubhouse are important....make sure they are already in place. We were lucky here.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
Another question to ask is "does the builder own the land"? What is the incentive to build the clubhouse/pool if the builder has to first purchase the land? Will the banks want to finance this investment?
Short Answer: When the builder submits the subdivision plan to the county, space has been allocated for a clubhouse, if there is one planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware