U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-02-2012, 04:27 PM

46 posts, read 65,299 times
Default Charley

I just want to add my thanks to you, Charley, for contributing so very much in managing this forum, providing essential information, and easing many of us into the move to Delaware. I grew to be very dependent on the information provided here when we were trying to decide where in DE we wanted to move and how we should go about doing it. We have been in Spring Arbor for two years now and we could not be happier. I know you will also enjoy living in another McKee property at Champions. Perhaps our paths will cross one day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 AM

17 posts, read 10,236 times
Thought I would post this here...also...

Looking to see if you have used anyone for window treatments.
Parent just purchased a home in Odessa National + 55 and are looking to see if anyone has used a company to come out to give them idea's , measure and install.

Please let me know.

Thank You!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 AM

19 posts, read 17,362 times
Default R-e-t-i-r-e-m-e-n-t

I sold my home in Jersey the day after we listed. Did I sell to cheap? Could I have gotten more? Maybe. But it's done and it's a big weight off my back and I have peace of mind. That was last November and we are just loving retirement. Good luck and hope to see you soon, Joe and Sharon[/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

NapaJoe, Sell too cheap - you ask? Heck no, you were at the right place at the right time. You surely must have had a good sense of pre-planning way back when ... when you first purchased the old home place. Now you're enjoying the fruits of your labor. For us? Well, we're still doing yard work up here in Jersey maintaining "curb appeal". Hopin' to see y'all soon ... () ... Jim

Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 AM

27 posts, read 27,382 times
Picking a moving company

I just wanted to post about a site I found called Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams
They have lots of good info about moving and how to avoid scams. They have reviews from consumers with both good and bad experiences.

This helped me narrow down who to call and what to ask.
Hope it can help others.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:14 PM

369 posts, read 481,270 times
Also, on C-D listed below the individual states' forums, are other topics listed under general topics and under that is general moving issues. LOTS of helpful info on that forum.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 PM

388 posts, read 276,013 times
Thumbs up Nobles Pond

I am in Delaware now, for the next few days looking around. Went to Nobles Pond today and it has really developed since I was here about 4 years ago. The pool is in now (wasn't then) and will open for the season on April 20! Very nice and quiet there, the only residents I saw were on their porches, or working in their gardens. The big beautiful clubhouse was totally empty - no one in the gym, game room or library. Maybe the early nice weather got people working in their gardens instead. Tomorrow I go to Longacre Village and a couple of other places, but will take Saturday off from house-hunting and go to Hagley Mills - $1 admission special every Saturday in March. And of course evenings will be spend at Dover Downs.

Nobles Pond has sold most of their model homes and is selling the last few and building new, slightly different home designs, mostly smaller. The new carriage homes will have the living part of the homes connected to each other and the garages on the ends of the houses. One thing I liked about the earlier model of the carriage home was that the garages connected, so that you did not share a wall with a neighbor.

Good luck to all in your search. It is not easy!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 AM

4,550 posts, read 5,638,394 times
We just returned from a most enjoyable brunch with a Heritage Shores couple. Formerly from Annapolis, MD, they are thrilled with their choice and they settled on their Delaware home a little over a year ago. Neither plays golf, and they said they would have no time for that anyway, with all the activities on their calendar. What a delightful couple, and beautiful community!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:39 PM

Smile another 55+ for people to consider

As I was headed north this week, returning to Wilmington to get the train to CT, I saw a 55+ community I had not heard of and stopped in. It is Spring Meadows, right off Route 13 in Smyrna. It is about 80% sold (will be 240 homes), has a clubhouse and pool, walking trails, and great location for shopping, etc. They get you a complimentary room at the Best Western nearby if you are looking for a home. Wish I had known that; I would have definitely taken advantage of that perk. I was given a nice bowl of soup, cheese and crackers, while waiting for a tour and sent on my way with a bottle of green tea. I really liked the place and it will move to near the top of my list. I like that it is near completion, so not years and years of construction going on nearby. Houses are in the low $200's and offer the sunroom option. Hope this helps someone else who is house-hunting! The builder is Wilkinson and the houses are Amish-framed.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:20 PM

4,550 posts, read 5,638,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
As I was headed north this week, returning to Wilmington to get the train to CT, I saw a 55+ community I had not heard of and stopped in. It is Spring Meadows, right off Route 13 in Smyrna.
Spring Meadow - I think it was mentioned and/or discussed here before your time . As with all the other communities, there have been pros and cons mentioned. I remember one person saying they didn't like the siding in there being all the same color. They offer both single family detached and carriage (attached) housing. The highest model is advertised at $269,900 (basic), and that's the single family detached.

Across the street (west side of Rt. 13) is a public golf course. About 2 miles north of the community on Rt. 13 is Simon's Corner, where there are some nice places to eat, including Sports Zone, an Irish Pub, Smyrna Diner, and more. There are also drug stores, a grocery store (might be Food Lion), a WAWA convenience store/gas station and bank. It's a nice area and very convenient to the community.

If you go to "search this thread" and plug in Spring Meadow, there probably will be some information show up. I'm not looking for a 55+ community, so those who looked at it and didn't buy there will be much more help to you. Hope you enjoyed your stay!

Last edited by rdlr; 03-28-2012 at 05:29 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Spring Meadow - I think it was mentioned and/or discussed here before your time . As with all the other communities, there have been pros and cons mentioned. I remember one person saying they didn't like the siding in there being all the same color. They offer both single family detached and carriage (attached) housing. The highest model is advertised at $269,900 (basic), and that's the single family detached.

Across the street (west side of Rt. 13) is a public golf course. About 2 miles north of the community on Rt. 13 is Simon's Corner, where there are some nice places to eat, including Sports Zone, an Irish Pub, Smyrna Diner, and more. There are also drug stores, a grocery store (might be Food Lion), a WAWA convenience store/gas station and bank. It's a nice area and very convenient to the community.

If you go to "search this thread" and plug in Spring Meadow, there probably will be some information show up. I'm not looking for a 55+ community, so those who looked at it and didn't buy there will be much more help to you. Hope you enjoyed your stay!

Hello again: I did enjoy my stay. In fact, on my way back from Hagley on Saturday, I ate at the Smyrna Diner. Had been looking for Sheridans, but I love diners and did not go wrong. Had one of the nightly specials. Too much food, could not even think about a piece of their great-looking cake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware