U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 PM

798 posts, read 2,483,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I don't live in a 55+ community, but we have water and sewer service. I don't know if my water/sewer bill is high or not, since I've never lived anywhere else. We live in a small, Kent County town, and there are 2 in our household. For a point of comparison, we just got our water/sewer bill (combined) and we get a bill every 3 months. This last quarter's bill is $115.21 (water and sewer). When I water our lawn and all of my flowers starting in June, the bill will probably go up to $140 for one quarter because of more water use. If that's considered high, that's fine with me. I would never want to live anyplace else, and I wouldn't pay the exorbitant real estate taxes people pay in other states.
By the way, our town has the highest water/sewer bills in the state, but I'd never complain because I love it here!
Thanks for sharing that rdlr. That's not too different from what we pay per quater now and is certainly no where near the $600 per month mentioned in the other post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 05:15 AM

560 posts, read 805,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
Thanks for sharing that rdlr. That's not too different from what we pay per quater now and is certainly no where near the $600 per month mentioned in the other post.
If you have sod (or even seed), and you expect to keep your lawn looking beautiful, you must water it for 20-30 minutes 2-3 days/week during the peak growing season(more if there is very little rain). This amount of water equates to $400 - $800 dollars for the summer/fall quarters depending upon the size of your lawn. With a well, you will only be charged for the in-home consumption at the rate quoted by rldr.

By comparison to other areas where we have lived, "Tidewater Utilities'" rates are relatively high.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 AM

7,360 posts, read 10,797,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
If you have sod (or even seed), and you expect to keep your lawn looking beautiful, you must water it for 20-30 minutes 2-3 days/week during the peak growing season(more if there is very little rain). This amount of water equates to $400 - $800 dollars for the summer/fall quarters depending upon the size of your lawn. With a well, you will only be charged for the in-home consumption at the rate quoted by rldr.

By comparison to other areas where we have lived, "Tidewater Utilities'" rates are relatively high.
Morning, Goin'
Did I say that? Well water doesn't cost anything, and the only expense is the electricity used to run the water pump. Sounds like Tidewater Utilities water is much more expensive than our town water. But than, I guess it's all relative.....I don't water our back yard, just our little front yard, but I have tons of flowers to water all summer long. Love those!!! I miss that well water from our "farm days", though.

Looks like we'll be watering alot this spring and summer, since the water table is down.

Roesville is lookin' good, by the way!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Morning, Goin'
Did I say that? Well water doesn't cost anything, and the only expense is the electricity used to run the water pump. Sounds like Tidewater Utilities water is much more expensive than our town water. But than, I guess it's all relative.....I don't water our back yard, just our little front yard, but I have tons of flowers to water all summer long. Love those!!! I miss that well water from our "farm days", though.

Looks like we'll be watering alot this spring and summer, since the water table is down.

Roesville is lookin' good, by the way!
I didn't realize that you have "town water". I've heard that it much less expensive. I'm not sure what water supplier the other local 55+ communities, but if it's "Tidewater" I hope the developer tells prospective buyers the water rates.

Yes, Roesville is "lookin' good". Don't you just love all the different color homes? And I can't wait 'til everyone is outside working in their flower beds again.

It's hard to believe that ours was the only home on the street when we moved in 1 1/2 years ago. Our cul-de-sac street is full now, and homes are spreading out farther along Sunderland towards the river. The thing I like best is to see so many young men with JOBS.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
I didn't realize that you have "town water". I've heard that it much less expensive. I'm not sure what water supplier the other local 55+ communities, but if it's "Tidewater" I hope the developer tells prospective buyers the water rates.

Yes, Roesville is "lookin' good". Don't you just love all the different color homes? And I can't wait 'til everyone is outside working in their flower beds again.

It's hard to believe that ours was the only home on the street when we moved in 1 1/2 years ago. Our cul-de-sac street is full now, and homes are spreading out farther along Sunderland towards the river. The thing I like best is to see so many young men with JOBS.
Yes, ours is the local Sewer-Water Authority.

I know what you mean....lots of activity in Roesville, and everybody busy as bees! I do like the different shades of siding which gives each an individual look! So many subdivisions look like "game boards" ..... houses all lined up and with uninteresting exteriors.

I know you have a temporary clubhouse now, but one thing I've noticed -Subdivisions are sometimes renting our their clubhouses for public use. Nobles Pond & Champions Club are just two where that is happening.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:

I know what you mean....lots of activity in Roesville, and everybody busy as bees! I do like the different shades of siding which gives each an individual look! So many subdivisions look like "game boards" ..... houses all lined up and with uninteresting exteriors.

I know you have a temporary clubhouse now, but one thing I've noticed -Subdivisions are sometimes renting our their clubhouses for public use. Nobles Pond & Champions Club are just two where that is happening.
Yes, those huge clubhouses with indoor and outdoor pools are expensive to maintain. Renting them for public use is a way to reduce the costs that would otherwise cause rate increases in HOA fees. It does, however, cut down on the privacy issue for the homeowners. The plan here at Roesville is for our clubhouse facilities (and needs) to grow with the community. All of the homeowners will have input as to just what is constructed and which amenities will be included. Along with JSHov, we are in the process of forming a "Lodge committee" whose primary function will be to survey the needs and wishes of the community. We're happy with the way it is working out for us.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:20 AM

805 posts, read 897,111 times
Smile re: water and sewer charges

Quote:

Hello again: My main "want" is a 55+ community, no renters, and definitely a pool/clubhouse. Several of the places I looked at during my week in Delaware had samples of typical charges for water and sewer and they seemed a little high to me. One place had $75 a month for sewer charges. Spring Meadows printed out a sheet with actual utility costs for occupied homes there and all of the utilities were much lower than I am paying, except for the sewer and water. None of that would keep me from buying, however, when I find the right place at the right price, since the housing costs and taxes are a lot lower than I am paying right now. Plus, I like Delaware, the people, the pace of life, the scenery and so on and you can't put a price on that. I am in a condo now and the condo fees pay the water charges and the quarterly sewer charge is about $65. I live alone, with no washer, so use less water than other people in my place, but we all pay the same, since there is no way to meter how much water each unit is using or individual sewer use.

Potential buyers, anywhere, have to look at all aspects of the costs of living in a place. One place I looked at will have a special development assessment of $125 a month and there is a "ditch maintenance charge", too. I sat outside Sunday going over all the paperwork I brought back with me and needless to say, none of this was mentioned by the sales people I met. So, read the fine print!

Have a good day everyone! I am sure all of us will find our perfect place eventually. And yes, Roesville looks great and so quiet!

Old 04-03-2012, 11:29 AM

25 posts, read 41,676 times
Point of clarification: at Champion's Club we DO NOT rent out our Clubhouse. It is for the exclusive use of our residents only.

Also I have one of the larger lots in CC (1/3 ac.) and using my irrigation system 3X per week (and being very generous with use of the dishwasher and washing machine) my highest quarterly water bill in 2011 was $450. I would love to have a well system for watering.....great idea.

I never realized just how much I would enjoy having a community pool! Last summer included many peaceful and pleasurable hours for me lounging around our pool (and I am, unfortunately, not a swimmer) with wonderful neighbors who are now friends.

Yes, Roesville is building out nicely. Took a drive through there last week and I, too, like the exterior color options of the homes. Sounds like your builder is very responsive to the homeowners need for a place to get together.

Last edited by Retired & Lovin' It; 04-03-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 04-03-2012, 12:18 PM

That's wonderful you are enjoying your retirement! Love hearing that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired & Lovin' It View Post
Point of clarification: at Champion's Club we DO NOT rent out our Clubhouse. It is for the exclusive use of our residents only.

To further clarify: Maybe the clubhouse was not rented out, maybe it was used free of charge. I was invited to a holiday party on Friday 12/9/11 at the clubhouse on 469 Augusta National Drive. It was not a subdivision event. If you'd like to see the invitation, I can DM it to you.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:27 PM

25 posts, read 41,676 times
Was that the Board of Realtors Christmas event? We thought that was good use of our facility. There has also been a wedding shower for one of the resident's daughters and another family wedding reception. There is no charge when a member uses the facility, just a small deposit for cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware