U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 08:03 AM

14 posts, read 22,088 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input. I will try the suggested locations. I'm sorry I forgot the budget. $300,000 would be the max. Another question. The prices given, are they with the land or without? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 10:13 AM

7,324 posts, read 10,754,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdro View Post
Thanks for the input. I will try the suggested locations. I'm sorry I forgot the budget. $300,000 would be the max. Another question. The prices given, are they with the land or without? Thanks again.
I made an error regarding Bay Crossing. It IS a 55+ community. All are in fee simple; no lot rent. Lochwood starts at $174,900 for a 3 bedroom 2 bath, part wooded lot. Maplewood is in about the $275-$300,000 range, and Bay Crossing starts at about $299,000. All new construction. I'm not a Realtor, just know the area.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 AM

14 posts, read 22,088 times
Thank You. Will check them out.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 PM

22 posts, read 18,047 times
The models listed usually say "from" and a price. What would be a ballpark figure for options? Are we talking $10000? $20,000? $50,000?

Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM

4,127 posts, read 13,266,252 times
It varies from development to development, builder to builder, style of house (which changes all the time) etc - some communities run specials from time to time - we ended up buying a gently used house that basically had the options we were interested in and are very happy, we didnt need brand new. Material and labor also vary and probably will vary even more by the time you're ready to move so would probably hold off til closer to the time unless youre visiting and you can discuss it w/ the salespeople who might be able to give you approximate prices but it does vary

Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 AM

6 posts, read 11,420 times
Default What has happened to this thread??

Hello to all - we are still in NY, deciding on our final location in DE. That being said, I am somewhat disappointed that this thread, which was so robust and lively, has really dropped off the radar lately. Where are the active discussions on communities, where are all the opinions that my wife and I enjoyed reading, why has the spirit of the thread been diminished? Is it because all the main contributors have settled and no longer join in the conversation? Are you busy and having fun in your new home and no longer feel you have anything to contribute?

There are plenty of us still sitting on the fence, whether waiting for a house to sell or waiting for actual retirememnt who look forward to the posts here. I admit we have no new info to contribute as it has been a while since our last trip to DE and have not visited any new (to us) communities to comment on. We have narrowed our list but still hope to visit some other communities this fall and perhaps make a decision over the winter.

However.......what about everyone else out there? There has to be many people on the sidelines who do not contribute and I encourage you to do so! Charley started this thread to help all who had an interest in DE and I am afraid this thread is slowly dying and that is a shame.

Moving to another state after retirement is a major, major decision in our lives and we would like to have all the info we can get. Please, if you have visited a community, give us your opinions. If you are happily (or unhappily!) settled, tell us how things are going for you.

This thread used to be so active. Can it be revived? Thank you and have a nice weekend.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:28 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,974,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominnyc View Post
This thread used to be so active. Can it be revived? Thank you and have a nice weekend.
It certainly can be revived. The problem is one of "careful responses". For example, I could talk about all the great things that are happening at Champions Club now that I am here to experience them first hand ... but they could easily be mistaken as advertising and be removed. In addition, my comments would certainly be considered biased now that I am here and loving every minute of it.

So unless I can respond to a specific question or comment, my ability to contribute further is a bit compromised.

Since you asked ... I am VERY happily settled. I can tell you that I am extremely pleased with the home that was built as well as the service for those items I identified as potentially problematic. Here is one example. I have a five foot crawl space. The staircase has a bannister on the wall for support while I walk up and down the stairs. There are two supports on the bannister, one atop the stairs and one on the bottom. But I have trouble with stairs and really lean heavily on the bannister. Therefore I asked the builder if two additional supports could be added to really strengthen the bannsiter. It was done without hesistation. So the home is beautiful, amazingly energy efficient (electric bill with air conditioning usage last month in all that heat was only $79) and supported by the builder.

I am also very happy with the variety of activities here, including the pool and clubhouse which I consider to be the social centers of the campus. My wife and I made it to the playoffs in the annual bocce tournament but were quickly eliminated. But for the finals, many people came out to root for their favorite team - and many also prepared food (hot dogs, chili, pulled pork, many side dishes, baked goods, etc) for consumption during and after the match. And we all go out in large groups to the various pubs in the area for "half-price burger nights" on Tuesdays. (For those already living in Delaware, I had my first dinner at Cool Springs and understand why everyone raves about it!)

There are other things that I'd like to tell you, like the next scheduled open house, but that would be advertising. If anyone has specific questions that they'd like me - or anyone else - to answer, please ask them. I do believe that if we are responding to specific questions, we are not advertising ... so ask away. If you'd like to ask me things personally, then click on my name above and send an email (preferred) or a text message and I will certainly share anything I can to help you.

For those still searching - one piece of advise remains ... the only stupid question is the one you never ask!

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 10-06-2012 at 09:23 AM..

Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 AM

805 posts, read 892,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
It certainly can be revived. The problem is one of "careful responses". For example, I could talk about all the great things that are happening at Champions Club now that I am here to experience them first hand ... but they could easily be mistaken as advertising and be removed. In addition, my comments would certainly be considered biased now that I am here and loving every minute of it.

So unless I can respond to a specific question or comment, my ability to contribute further is a bit compromised.

Since you asked ... I am VERY happily settled. I can tell you that I am extremely pleased with the home that was built as well as the service for those items I identified as potentially problematic. Here is one example. I have a five foot crawl space. The staircase has a bannister on the wall for support while I walk up and down the stairs. There are two supports on the bannister, one atop the stairs and one on the bottom. But I have trouble with stairs and really lean heavily on the bannister. Therefore I asked the builder if two additional supports could be added to really strengthen the bannsiter. It was done without hesistation. So the home is beautiful, amazingly energy efficient (electric bill with air conditioning usage last month in all that heat was only $79) and supported by the builder.

I am also very happy with the variety of activities here, including the pool and clubhouse which I consider to be the social centers of the campus. My wife and I made it to the playoffs in the annual bocce tournament but were quickly eliminated. But for the finals, many people came out to root for their favorite team - and many also prepared food (hot dogs, chili, pulled pork, many side dishes, baked goods, etc) for consumption during and after the match. And we all go out in large groups to the various pubs in the area for "half-price burger nights" on Tuesdays. (For those already living in Delaware, I had my first dinner at Cool Springs and understand why everyone raves about it!)

There are other things that I'd like to tell you, like the next scheduled open house, but that would be advertising. If anyone has specific questions that they'd like me - or anyone else - to answer, please ask them. I do believe that if we are responding to specific questions, we are not advertising ... so ask away. If you'd like to ask me things personally, then click on my name above and send an email (preferred) or a text message and I will certainly share anything I can to help you.

For those still searching - one piece of advise remains ... the only stupid question is the one you never ask!
Hi: Charley - glad everything has worked out so well for you. You definitely deserve it. I also enjoy reading the posts and seeing how things are going for people in the varous communities there, though I have pretty much decided on Nobles Pond. You social life sounds great! Enjoy every minute of retirement.
Eileen in CT

Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 AM

560 posts, read 804,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominnyc View Post

This thread has slowed down a bit, but we are still here, ready, willing, and able to respond to anyone interested in looking for a home in a 55+ community in Delaware.
Next week hubby and I will be celebrating 2 years at Roesville. The homes are terrific, the neighbors are wonderful, and we have plenty of scheduled (and unscheduled) activities to keep us busy.

To those of you who are considering a retirement in Delaware...don't hesitate to post your questions here on the forum.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM

53 posts, read 98,149 times
We have been in Spring Arbor in Middletown for almost a year and a half. Any questions about Spring Arbor, I would be glad to answer them.
Pat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware