U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 05:51 AM

560 posts, read 804,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesca923 View Post
Hi everyone! well, finally we are visiting Delaware!! Note-we (my hubby and I) EVER been to Delaware before. We visited Heritage Shores in Bridgeville on Monday, and yesterday we visited 4 communities around Dover. I will post separate "report" in case anyone following this thread is interested. So far, we liked what we saw, and we are grad we came. Last 2 days we were with our realtors but today, we will do some "driving around" ourselves, and explore a bit more before we head home. I think we will be back again soon.

Hey Jude! we are sorry we missed you!! I heard you are having good time in Vegas. We hope to see you next time.

Charley, I am sorry to hear you were not feeling well, and sorry we missed you. We are sure we will be back again, and we will see you soon!!
I hope you have the time to stop by and visit Roesville. If you want peace and quiet (no jet flyovers, etc) this is the place for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 06:21 AM

133 posts, read 213,599 times
Default Visit of 55+ community

Heritage Shores-Day 1, we went down to Bridgeville. It is beautiful golf community with impressive entrance, club house and fitness center. We are impressed with indoor-outdoor pool. My husband likes wood working room. they have restaurant, bar and huge ball room (renting out for wedding, etc). It planned to build almost 2,000 homes, however since it opened in 2006, only 25% built. Home prices are reasonable and model homes and resale we saw were nice. Back of houses are either golf course or wooded area. There is a one side of the wall that fright train truck behind it. HOA is $235 month and it does NOT cover snow removal and lawn mowing!! (someone mentioned in some where also before). Also, realtor who went out with us on Day 2 lives on 15th hole there, and told us her neighbor got hit by golf ball on his window and sidings several times, and it is his responsibility to fix it ( I was always wondering that). also, builders are second ones (Providence of Brookfield and Ryan homes), and we are wondering how many builder will be there, and if it ever be completed?? (2,000 homes!!). Other thing is it is middle of NO WHERE, took us about 45 minutes on local road from Dover and then 30 minutes to Lewes, and feels isolated.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
I hope you have the time to stop by and visit Roesville. If you want peace and quiet (no jet flyovers, etc) this is the place for you.
I am sorry, but we did not stop Roseville. My husband did not want any place that amenities are not built. But we are still undecided where, and we are sure coming back again and again.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 AM

7,320 posts, read 10,750,768 times
Quote:
Heritage Shores- Other thing is it is middle of NO WHERE, took us about 45 minutes on local road from Dover and then 30 minutes to Lewes, and feels isolated.
Good Grief! You must be slow drivers 45 minutes on Rt. 13 - Bridgeville to Dover? I drive to Seaford and Laurel from Dover 3-4 times/week (which is south of Bridgeville) and it only takes me 40 minutes. Just a stone's throw to me. But then, we are all accustomed to different environments and geographical areas. It's all a matter of perspective.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Good Grief! You must be slow drivers 45 minutes on Rt. 13 - Bridgeville to Dover? I drive to Seaford and Laurel from Dover 3-4 times/week (which is south of Bridgeville) and it only takes me 40 minutes. Just a stone's throw to me. But then, we are all accustomed to different environments and geographical areas. It's all a matter of perspective.
yes, we (especially, my hubby) are slow driver!! I guess we are looking around also. We saw something when we are driving down towards Bridgeville on our right side before the town, far away, some sort of Electric plant or something? do you know what it is?

Old 05-09-2013, 08:25 AM

4 posts, read 8,993 times
Goin'2DE,
Can you give us any update on the Clubhouse? I believe you mentioned that there was going to be a community meeting sometime in April. My wife & I looked at Roesville last year & love the community but are hesitant because of the current status.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 AM

Default 55+ community Part 2

Day 2- We visited communities around Dover

Spring Meadow (Smyrna)- This community is almost completed, and HOA has already turned over to residents. There are carriage home and ranch home. We only saw quick move-in ranch home that was almost done. There were re-sale but we could not see them. The builder is pulling out the end of this year. There are cute club house and nice outdoor pool. The sales rep said HOA is thinking about put bubble over to make it year around. Only lots available were by RT 1, and I heard constant traffic noise.

Nobles Pond - We saw 2 re-sales but they were land-lease. Model homes were nice and Club house-pool was gorgeous! sounds like a lot of activities. Only negative is propane, and my husband has already ruled-out because of that. Sorry, Hey Jude!

Longacre Village-Now, we are south of Dover. This community has small shopping strip next to it with library. Their pool is opening up soon. We were not too impressed with their homes.

Champions Club - By the time we get there, we (my hubby, me, and even Debbie, our realtor) were all exhausted! But sales rep Ed, had so much energy, and my husband was impressed right away. We liked idea of flexibility in design of home and creative ideas Ed gave us. Nice club house and pool. HOA is already turned to resident, and reasonable HOA fees ($189/mo). I heard a creative way HOA did to maintain fees down. We liked area; feels rural but short drive to Dover. My hubby liked Catholic high school across the street. Lots seem larger than we have seen, so houses do not look top of each other. A half of community is almost sold, and there will be next phase, which may be good for use if we don't sell our home right away. Only negative maybe is close to Air force base and we heard noise several times we were there. We don't think that is going to be a major problem.

After we got home, we are sorting out information and ideas. We are still checking out other areas (South Carolina in June). However, so far we liked what we saw.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:40 AM

7,320 posts, read 10,750,768 times
Quote:
yes, we (especially, my hubby) are slow driver!! I guess we are looking around also. We saw something when we are driving down towards Bridgeville on our right side before the town, far away, some sort of Electric plant or something? do you know what it is?
Could be Delaware Electric Cooperative, a major provider here. Going south, it's on the right, south of Greenwood before Bridgeville.

Just for clarification, a "carriage house" in Spring Meadow is actually a townhouse, in everyday, language here, and is recognized as such. Some out of state builders have different names for types of housing. When they are attached together (over 2 in a set) they are townhomes/townhouses, not to be confused with "row houses" in urban areas.

Another misconception is "duplex". They are 2 in a set, attached together, on one parcel of land. "Twins" are 2 in a set, attached together, with each owning their own land....just some local knowledge of the market.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 AM

805 posts, read 891,710 times
Quote:
Day 2- We visited communities around Dover

Spring Meadow (Smyrna)- This community is almost completed, and HOA has already turned over to residents. There are carriage home and ranch home. We only saw quick move-in ranch home that was almost done. There were re-sale but we could not see them. The builder is pulling out the end of this year. There are cute club house and nice outdoor pool. The sales rep said HOA is thinking about put bubble over to make it year around. Only lots available were by RT 1, and I heard constant traffic noise.

Nobles Pond - We saw 2 re-sales but they were land-lease. Model homes were nice and Club house-pool was gorgeous! sounds like a lot of activities. Only negative is propane, and my husband has already ruled-out because of that. Sorry, Hey Jude!

Longacre Village-Now, we are south of Dover. This community has small shopping strip next to it with library. Their pool is opening up soon. We were not too impressed with their homes.

Champions Club - By the time we get there, we (my hubby, me, and even Debbie, our realtor) were all exhausted! But sales rep Ed, had so much energy, and my husband was impressed right away. We liked idea of flexibility in design of home and creative ideas Ed gave us. Nice club house and pool. HOA is already turned to resident, and reasonable HOA fees ($189/mo). I heard a creative way HOA did to maintain fees down. We liked area; feels rural but short drive to Dover. My hubby liked Catholic high school across the street. Lots seem larger than we have seen, so houses do not look top of each other. A half of community is almost sold, and there will be next phase, which may be good for use if we don't sell our home right away. Only negative maybe is close to Air force base and we heard noise several times we were there. We don't think that is going to be a major problem.

After we got home, we are sorting out information and ideas. We are still checking out other areas (South Carolina in June). However, so far we liked what we saw.
Sounds as if you are really looking at all angles of each development. That is smart - don't buy near a main road if you think traffic noise would be a problem. I had the same idea when I looked at Longacre Village - the lot they showed me was right near the busy state road. Also I noticed some of those homes had screened-in porches and I think that semi-wetlands area in front probably has mosquitoes or gnats in the summer. All in all I liked Spring Meadow which I found by accident driving by on way way north after my visit last March.

Keep looking and doing research and keep all your options open. As for me, I think I can live with propane heat, since Nobles Pond is so perfect for me amenity-wise and location-wise.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Could be Delaware Electric Cooperative, a major provider here. Going south, it's on the right, south of Greenwood before Bridgeville.
I think that what it was.

Quote:
Just for clarification, a "carriage house" in Spring Meadow is actually a townhouse, in everyday, language here, and is recognized as such. Some out of state builders have different names for types of housing. When they are attached together (over 2 in a set) they are townhomes/townhouses, not to be confused with "row houses" in urban areas.

Another misconception is "duplex". They are 2 in a set, attached together, on one parcel of land. "Twins" are 2 in a set, attached together, with each owning their own land....just some local knowledge of the market.
Thank you for clarification. I think these "carriage home" were attached 4 homes in Spring Meadow, which, I did not like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware