U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I have the feeling that if I live in a 55+ I would have to respect the 'rules' of the community decision-makers. Now if I don't like it well it wouldn't be for me. Do I have that correct then?
That's true. Living in a community with an HOA is not the best choice for an individualist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 10:23 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,703,267 times
That's true. Living in a community with an HOA is not the best choice for an individualist.

Got it!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:37 AM

560 posts, read 805,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Really? Is that what they call me in our town?
Oh dear. I hope my comment wasn't offensive. You're the tops in my book!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:39 AM

560 posts, read 805,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Communism"? Seriously? I don't think you understand what 55+ is all about.

You know I have to admit I'm sort of using the term facetiously in the sense that in a 55+ community some decisions are made by commitee would that be correct? That commitee makes the decisions on various items for the individuals living in that community. On the other hand ,if you live in your home you do what you want to your property, nobody but you makes the decisions. Nobody tells you what you can do. I have the feeling that if I live in a 55+ I would have to respect the 'rules' of the community decision-makers. Now if I don't like it well it wouldn't be for me. Do I have that correct then?
The "decision makers" are the homeowners. Each has one vote in the HOA...that's how a democracy works. In communities where there is no HOA, your neighbors can indeed do as they please. They can let their yards grown into knee high weeds; put junk cars in the driveway; skate boarders and basketball hoops in the street; let leaves and trash accumulate; have mold/mildew on the outside of the house; and other unpleasantness that can effect your home's value. Communists? No, just lovely neighborhoods.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:41 AM

71 posts, read 161,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
The "decision makers" are the homeowners. Each has one vote in the HOA...that's how a democracy works.
Agreed. It is also worth mentioning that this applies to all communities with an HOA. Not just those that are 55+.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:09 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,703,267 times
The "decision makers" are the homeowners. Each has one vote in the HOA...that's how a democracy works. In communities where there is no HOA, your neighbors can indeed do as they please. They can let their yards grown into knee high weeds; put junk cars in the driveway; skate boarders and basketball hoops in the street; let leaves and trash accumulate; have mold/mildew on the outside of the house; and other unpleasantness that can effect your home's value. Communists? No, just lovely neighborhoods.

You know I think I had the misconception about thinking that it's always expected to do things continually with people in the community. And if you didn't partake well you were 'off the list'. Apparently it's not so. I figure that maybe on some days I may want to do something else and if I say so I won't be branded as a 'fun sponge'.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:47 PM

7,352 posts, read 10,792,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
Oh dear. I hope my comment wasn't offensive. You're the tops in my book!
Nah! Don't sweat it! I have a sense of humor, along with a whole bunch of opinions, which I LOVE to share, welcomed or not!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 PM

350 posts, read 351,935 times
Default Coming Back Down For More "On Site" Research

My wife and I visited Delaware this past Spring, and after looking North/South/East/West/Middle decided that we wanted to focus on the Rehoboth/Lewes/Bethany area for our next trip. We will be traveling down from Chicagoland a month from now.

We are going to tour as many communities, both 55+ and not, as we can fit in over 3 1/2 days. Our daughter (who now lives in Maryland) is going to join us this time, but I think she is hoping to enjoy the beach while we do the "hard" work of looking at houses and getting a sense of communities. Think it will also be interesting to see the area when it is out of the summer season, but still nice weather. We are especially interested in how close to the beach we can actually get. In our minds, being able to bike ride from our house to the ocean or bay would be like heaven.

Appreciate the great insights everyone has contributed to this board about Delaware in general, and the many communities folks have chosen. As noted before, although there is a HUGE amount of info on the thread, there doesn't seem to be a lot about the Rehoboth area.

So if anyone has any recommendations on communities to see, or even restaurants to eat at, we'd appreciate it! Hope everyone is having a great summer.

EED

Old 08-21-2013, 05:04 AM

7,352 posts, read 10,792,272 times
At the top of this page, Click "Search This Thread" - type in "Rehoboth" and lots of information will come up.

In addition, leave this 55+ thread, and follow the same procedure.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:19 PM

96 posts, read 169,012 times
Talking No 55+ "Fun Sponging"

You know I think I had the misconception about thinking that it's always expected to do things continually with people in the community. And if you didn't partake well you were 'off the list'. Apparently it's not so. I figure that maybe on some days I may want to do something else and if I say so I won't be branded as a 'fun sponge'.[/quote]

Omigoodness, NO! The nice thing is you can do (or not do) as much as you'd like! Most of us on this thread were once where you are: Should I bother to look at 55+ communities? What makes me think I'd even like that? What about the other people there? Will I like them? Will they like me? Will I care? (OK, that last was just for fun. ) Bottom line is that you should give thought to how you want to spend your years after retiring. I happen to like that I don't need to cut, fertilize and occasionally thatch and seed the lawn. I like that snow (and we don't get as much as you're used to--I moved here from north NJ, so I get it) disappears from my roads, driveway and walkway as though by magic. I like knowing that, on Weds. I'm going out to dinner with friends, playing bocce on Sundays, grilling at the pool; that I'm planning parties, enjoying monthly pot lucks, taking trips that someone else has made all the arrangements for and that are (by benefit of greater numbers) more affordable for me. I don't however, enjoy cards or many board games or pool, so I don't go to the clubhouse on those nights. I have friends who do and others who don't. No one looks down on anyone who prefers not to play or to go out on Wednesdays or take trips. We all just do what we want! That's really nice, when you think about it... no ruts! You do different things with different people, expanding your circle of friends.

Sure, you can do all these things living lots of places but, for me, this kind of community works because I am able to enjoy the benefits without putting in all the time and effort involved in the planning. I spent 42 years planning and implementing projects at work, family vacations, school shopping and other projects. I'm now, thankfully, in a position to provide input on what I'd like to see in the way of trips and parties but not have to make all the decisions or arrangements. (Love that!)

For me, the best part of moving into a 55+ community has been making new friends. I am naturally outgoing so that wouldn't be a big issue anyway but, in a community like this, it's just so easy to make friends. (I am aware, of course, that it's hard to make friends with neighbors while you're working because you're all... working! Still, it just seems easier to make friends where you're all transplants anyway.) I think there's a natural tendency to feel closer with people who have shared life experiences and those people, apart from family and the friends you grew up with, tend to be in your own age group, roughly 12-15 years plus or minus. I have made good friends here who are 80 and good friends who are 50 and sometimes we all do the same things while, other times, I do things with the 50s or things with the 80s and all the in-betweens and still other times the 50s and 80s are doing something together and I've chosen to stay home or have gone off with someone outside the community. It all works!

I chose 55+ for those reasons and I chose Delaware because the cost of living is lower and it put me equidistant from friends and family in VA, MD and NJ. When I moved here, I hadn't yet learned that the natives are SO friendly and helpful. We have some native Delawareans living here at Nobles Pond too and it's easy to see why they've stayed put. I love it here! I have friends who love it too, two of whom are moving here next year, I'm thrilled to say! But you have to decide what it is you want. Then go look for it. I looked both outside and throughout DE for about 4 years: 1 year to choose Delaware and 3 to decide which community. After a year here (already?!), I'm very happy with the choices I made and you will be too once you make it through the process--wherever you land. (BTW, you'll find a LOT of New Yorkers down here in all our communities so you should feel right at home!)

Happy hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware