Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 AM

560 posts, read 910,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
Hello all. Just started on CD, and I see I have one huge thread on 55+ communities to go through! I do plan to read as much as I can, as it seems to be chock full of good info. Could anyone just tell me if any of the communities offer bigger lots than usual? We would like to have a little more land than it seems you normally can expect. Not looking for an acre, but maybe more than 1/3 would be nice. Thx.
The lots at Roesville start at .29 acres. There are larger "premium" lots available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:39 AM

652 posts, read 337,650 times
Thank you very much. That is a good place to start. The search begins!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:34 PM

652 posts, read 337,650 times
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Little Meadows in Seaford? I have not found very much info online, but I think they sell bigger lots.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 9,911 times
HI
I am new to this board and was hoping for some advice. We are retiring next month and seriously considering moving to Delaware. I am looking for pointers on what to do and what to avoid. For example, Land lease vs. ownership? Communities that we should avoid?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter and Candi

Old 03-02-2014, 09:25 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,925,269 times
Go to the search box above and start there. Tons of previous posts re: retiring to De. What are you looking for? Home, Condo, HOA. 55+, all age. Beach living vs non beach, price range, people are very helpful, but we need more to go on.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,150,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcandy View Post
HI
I am new to this board and was hoping for some advice. We are retiring next month and seriously considering moving to Delaware. I am looking for pointers on what to do and what to avoid. For example, Land lease vs. ownership? Communities that we should avoid?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter and Candi
Living on leased land you would own the home but not the ground underneath it.Even a community that provides great amenities and great services you will not be in charge of your own land and the ground rent will go up. Even though I love the community I live in had I realized this 21 years ago I would have bought land else where instead of grabbing a good deal.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:24 PM

373 posts, read 512,990 times
Default Found Our Home

Hi All,

Have great news to share. After "only" a year or so of searching, we've found our Delaware retirement home. I say only, because as many of the veterans on this board know, it often takes a lot longer (especially when only being able to intermittently visit from other areas of the country) to really evaluate what is available, and from there determine what is really personally important vs. just nice to have.

Although we didn't wind up buying in a 55+ community, I'm posting on here because this is where we started our research over a year ago when we thought we would prefer such a retirement lifestyle. And I highly recommend this thread as one of the best places to start one's research, regardless of whether or not one is certain he/she wants that or is just "55+ curious".

In case it helps others just starting their journey, as we were 15 months ago, I'll briefly recap what we went through.

Trip One - April 2013: Covered the entire state of Delaware (with some daliances into Northern Maryland and Annapolis) to visit several 55+ communities in search of a single family home. We learned that there are lots of great communities and options, and decided we wanted to next focus on Sussex County because, quite simply, my wife has always dreamed of living near the beach. At our realtor's urging, and guided by the experiences of previous posters on this board, decided we would expand the search to include both 55+ and other communities. Our realtor also showed us a townhome that we liked, so we decided to open the search to include condos and townhomes.

Trip Two - October 2013: Looked at many communities from Lewes/Rehoboth Beach area southward to Bethany Beach/Ocean View. We were pleased to learn that many really nice existing properties, as well as new communities, are available in these areas. The country boy in me loved the tranquility of the southern communities, while my city-girl wife preferred the blend of "beach and busy" the more commercial Lewes area provided. Decided that what was most important to us personally was being able to get to the beach year-round, and we wanted a community that offered us a pool area for socializing, lawn maintenance so we could travel spontaneously, and a fitness center to hopefully keep in shape (or more accurately get in better shape). Other amenities, such as a clubhouse, activities director, bay access, etc. were nice to haves but not imperatives for us. As bicycle enthusiasts, we were guided by some cautionary tales from posters on this board about the difficulty of biking to the beach from the west side of Route 1, and also learned about the Breakwater Junction trail. Although we knew that there would be a premium price on properties east of Route 1, we wanted to see if it was worth it to us.

Trip Three - February 2014: Purpose of this trip was to focus on properties closer to the beach. Although we really liked the Bethany Beach area, we fell in love with the Lewes area on the east side of Route 1. First we became enamored with the location of Senators, a relatively new Schell Brothers development in Lewes. We loved that the Breakwater Junction walking/biking path goes right through the community, and that there is a back road into Lewes that wouldn't require us to go near Route 1. We liked it so much we were seriously considering committing to build a single family home there. But the very next day we were touring some existing properties with our agent and immediately fell in love with a town home condominium across the street from Senators in Breakwater, another Schell community. Bike path, fitness center, relatively easy drive to beach and Cape Henlopen State Park, pool, and hot tub (bonus!). Although we are still at least a year away from my retiring, we are excited to have found our perfect place and move from the searching to the transitioning phase.

I hope this narrative may have something in it that helps folks just starting their research. The lesson for us was that there are a lot of great choices, including several fantastic 55+ communities as this board attests to...but nothing beats repeated visits to really understand the options and costs of what is out there. The internet sites, including this wonderful forum and thread, help tremendously, but in the end we must each discover what truly matters to us.

I will sign off with a heart-felt thank you to the many contributors to this thread who have continuously supplied great insight into the housing and community options in Delaware for the past several years. Maybe some day we'll get to meet and swap tales at the beach or the bar. Best wishes to all, and

Enjoy Every Day!

Old 03-10-2014, 05:49 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,925,269 times
Congrats, as you said so well, we posters can offer tremendous insight, but ultimately it is only with a lot of work and knowing what will make you happy that a decision can be made. Welcome to the beach!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Go to the search box above and start there. Tons of previous posts re: retiring to De. What are you looking for? Home, Condo, HOA. 55+, all age. Beach living vs non beach, price range, people are very helpful, but we need more to go on.
I would say 55+ but would consider a community will all ages if there were enough people around our age, beach living for sure and I don't want to cut anymore grass, fix anything in the house, shovel snow… I want just what everyone else wants Oh yeah, low taxes hahaha… For those folks living in Delaware, I would be curious to know what you like best and what you don't like about living in the area.
Thanks

Old 03-12-2014, 06:18 AM

Default medical

Hi again

Curious to know how easy or difficult it was to find doctors, dentists and other professionals who were willing to take on new patients. More than one person I spoke with who moved to a growing 55+ area found it extremely difficult as the medical community is behind the wave of people moving in.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware