U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 05:20 AM

5 posts, read 8,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Living on leased land you would own the home but not the ground underneath it.Even a community that provides great amenities and great services you will not be in charge of your own land and the ground rent will go up. Even though I love the community I live in had I realized this 21 years ago I would have bought land else where instead of grabbing a good deal.
Thought so. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 06:45 AM

560 posts, read 805,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcandy View Post
I would say 55+ but would consider a community will all ages if there were enough people around our age, beach living for sure and I don't want to cut anymore grass, fix anything in the house, shovel snow… I want just what everyone else wants Oh yeah, low taxes hahaha… For those folks living in Delaware, I would be curious to know what you like best and what you don't like about living in the area.
Thanks

What we like best about living in Delaware? The list is too long to post here, but one thing we are enjoying is the four seasons. This winter has been exceptionally snowy, but it seems just when you get tired of it the next season appears. Much better than retiring to a state where the weather is almost always the same.

I'll have to think a while before I can come up with something we don't like about Delaware. So far, we're loving it here.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcandy View Post
Hi again

Curious to know how easy or difficult it was to find doctors, dentists and other professionals who were willing to take on new patients. More than one person I spoke with who moved to a growing 55+ area found it extremely difficult as the medical community is behind the wave of people moving in.

Thanks
We found a doctor and a dentist easily. There are two hospitals nearby...one in Milford about 15 minutes away, and the one in Dover is a 20-30 minute drive.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:05 AM

7,862 posts, read 10,540,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
We found a doctor and a dentist easily. There are two hospitals nearby...one in Milford about 15 minutes away, and the one in Dover is a 20-30 minute drive.
The other thing to consider aside from from if they are taking new patients is do they accept your insurance. We had recommendations for a couple of doctors but they were not accepting new patients, insurance or not. But we did get a new doctor and dentist.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The other thing to consider aside from from if they are taking new patients is do they accept your insurance. We had recommendations for a couple of doctors but they were not accepting new patients, insurance or not. But we did get a new doctor and dentist.
That is a problem for some, but we had no trouble at all.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:42 AM

2,692 posts, read 1,769,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Happiness means different things to different people. May we all find happiness in our own way. My happiness (at almost 74 yrs. old is) ....... Whoops.....Never mind.
Clue: It's NOT retirement!
74 MUST be the new 54! Oh wait...I'm 56 and you can run circles around me. Make that the new 44!!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 AM

7,350 posts, read 10,790,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
74 MUST be the new 54! Oh wait...I'm 56 and you can run circles around me. Make that the new 44!!
Ahhh...thanks Joe!
I think it's the scrapple!

Old 03-27-2014, 10:42 AM

805 posts, read 896,142 times
Smile my upcoming trip to DE

NYJoe you are so lucky to be retiring at such a young age. Wish I could have done so. But to stay on-topic, in my upcoming trip I am checking out a few places I have not seen, revisiting some (I heavily lean toward Nobles Pond and like Longacre Village) and will also check out the Modern Maturity Center in Dover, a senior citizen recreation facility with an indoor heated pool. That might be an option for the winter time when the pools at the 55+ housing communities are closed. I have a circle I would like to stay within - as far north as Smyrna and south as far as Camden/Wyoming, and maybe include Magnolia. Don't want to go too far south as it is too far from conveniences, most of which are on Route 13 in Dover. Luckily I am healthy so far and hope to stay that way, but in years to come I might want/need to be near medical facilities, etc. However the Sussex County area is getting more of that sort of thing now, too. But with any luck I might never need it.

Good luck in your house-hunting. You will like what you see when you do visit.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Ahhh...thanks Joe!
I think it's the scrapple!
Speaking of which, when is Apple-Scrapple Festival this year?

Old 03-27-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
NYJoe you are so lucky to be retiring at such a young age. Wish I could have done so. But to stay on-topic, in my upcoming trip I am checking out a few places I have not seen, revisiting some (I heavily lean toward Nobles Pond and like Longacre Village) and will also check out the Modern Maturity Center in Dover, a senior citizen recreation facility with an indoor heated pool. That might be an option for the winter time when the pools at the 55+ housing communities are closed. I have a circle I would like to stay within - as far north as Smyrna and south as far as Camden/Wyoming, and maybe include Magnolia. Don't want to go too far south as it is too far from conveniences, most of which are on Route 13 in Dover. Luckily I am healthy so far and hope to stay that way, but in years to come I might want/need to be near medical facilities, etc. However the Sussex County area is getting more of that sort of thing now, too. But with any luck I might never need it.

Good luck in your house-hunting. You will like what you see when you do visit.
The decision is really due to the physical demands of my job and too many injuries over the years. There will be compromises to be considered going out early, but the big picture(my health), is more important than dollars and cents.

I wish us both good fortune in the choices we end up making. We have been coming to De. for many years to visit my sister in Dover, so we know it is where we want to be. I look forward to meeting some of the people who post here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware