U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-27-2014, 11:36 AM
 
7,328 posts, read 10,759,909 times
Reputation: 14836

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Speaking of which, when is Apple-Scrapple Festival this year?
Usually, October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2014, 12:26 PM
 
Location: NY in body, Mayberry in spirit.
2,674 posts, read 1,760,710 times
Reputation: 6292
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Usually, October.
Count me IN!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Felton, DE
560 posts, read 804,519 times
Reputation: 662
As most in Delaware already know, we had an excess of snowfall this winter. Under normal weather conditions, fees for snow removal from our walks and driveways is included in our monthly HOA fee. OOps...we went over budget this year like many cities here in the Mid Atlantic. As a result, our homeowners had to take a vote on reassessment of our snow removal budget and will be charged a one time fee to make up for the budget shortfall. It is not a painful amount of money. I'm just curious as to whether this has occurred in any of the other 55+ communities here in Delaware?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 10:49 AM
 
7,328 posts, read 10,759,909 times
Reputation: 14836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
As most in Delaware already know, we had an excess of snowfall this winter. Under normal weather conditions, fees for snow removal from our walks and driveways is included in our monthly HOA fee. OOps...we went over budget this year like many cities here in the Mid Atlantic. As a result, our homeowners had to take a vote on reassessment of our snow removal budget and will be charged a one time fee to make up for the budget shortfall. It is not a painful amount of money. I'm just curious as to whether this has occurred in any of the other 55+ communities here in Delaware?
Goin.....Just general knowledge I've collected over the years - This is not the first I've heard of 55+ communities asking for more $. It's no secret, it just costs more to live in a community, because obviously, everything is done for the seniors. But many love it, and I know you do.

For purposes of comparison (although no comparison) In our little Town of Wyoming, having 1400 people, costs were just released for snow removal over the winter. 17 hours of overtime and a total of $386 paid to our town maintenance man. We set aside x amount of town money for snow removal (salt) and it's stored at a local business. Many in town do the snow removal work for nothing, with their scrapers, snow blowers, and shovels. Here, it's always a party! We have no Homeowners Association Fee but pay a town tax, which covers everything, including taxes of course, 2 times a week of garbage pickup, bulk pickup, recycle pickup, and garden/leaf pickup. It also includes 24 hour police protection and salaries for 3 police officers. My yearly bill for all of the above is much less than $500.00 . Very different scenario than a 55+ community, but I'd say more than half of us are 55+. This is an old-fashioned town where the younger do for the older, and we operate on a frugal budget. And, we still have money left over parties and events. Different lifestyle, I know, then in a 55+ community.

Last edited by rdlr; 04-04-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
7,808 posts, read 10,474,818 times
Reputation: 7817
Here in my non 55+ community we got a wonderful surprise for the new year, our HOA fees decreased by $43 per quarter. The HOA board did a 5 year facilities study and found that we were in great shape and our reserve fund was well in excess of what was needed. Personally I would rather have continued to pay it to avoid a future hit, but the results of the 5 year study make it senseless in combination with the reserve fund.

There will be another 5 year study ordered in 2017 and we will see where it goes from there.

RDLR, I probably would have loved to live in your community as that is what I came from. I married and bought 21 houses from my parents home. The reason we chose here was that we love the beach and being totally new to the area we felt we needed the community aspect to live in. We are delighted to be here too, but Wyoming sounds just like a place I could easily fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 07:03 PM
 
7,328 posts, read 10,759,909 times
Reputation: 14836
That's wonderful, Nuts!!! I never heard of those fees going Down!

Your community really looks great! I was in there just the other day....lots of activity, more new homes, and everything is very well maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2014, 02:26 PM
 
53 posts, read 98,184 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
As most in Delaware already know, we had an excess of snowfall this winter. Under normal weather conditions, fees for snow removal from our walks and driveways is included in our monthly HOA fee. OOps...we went over budget this year like many cities here in the Mid Atlantic. As a result, our homeowners had to take a vote on reassessment of our snow removal budget and will be charged a one time fee to make up for the budget shortfall. It is not a painful amount of money. I'm just curious as to whether this has occurred in any of the other 55+ communities here in Delaware?

In Spring Arbor we went over our snow budget too but we do not have to pay anything extra. Since we have not had much snow the last few years that money went into the reserve and that money will pay the excess this year. We have an excelent finance committee here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Conn.
805 posts, read 892,658 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Goin.....Just general knowledge I've collected over the years - This is not the first I've heard of 55+ communities asking for more $. It's no secret, it just costs more to live in a community, because obviously, everything is done for the seniors. But many love it, and I know you do.

For purposes of comparison (although no comparison) In our little Town of Wyoming, having 1400 people, costs were just released for snow removal over the winter. 17 hours of overtime and a total of $386 paid to our town maintenance man. We set aside x amount of town money for snow removal (salt) and it's stored at a local business. Many in town do the snow removal work for nothing, with their scrapers, snow blowers, and shovels. Here, it's always a party! We have no Homeowners Association Fee but pay a town tax, which covers everything, including taxes of course, 2 times a week of garbage pickup, bulk pickup, recycle pickup, and garden/leaf pickup. It also includes 24 hour police protection and salaries for 3 police officers. My yearly bill for all of the above is much less than $500.00 . Very different scenario than a 55+ community, but I'd say more than half of us are 55+. This is an old-fashioned town where the younger do for the older, and we operate on a frugal budget. And, we still have money left over parties and events. Different lifestyle, I know, then in a 55+ community.

You make your town sound so attractive (and I know that it is, having driven thru it on earlier trips to DE). I still think you should write a weekly column on Delaware living. You know so much and have such a great way of telling a story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Conn.
805 posts, read 892,658 times
Reputation: 648
Smile great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest130 View Post
In Spring Arbor we went over our snow budget too but we do not have to pay anything extra. Since we have not had much snow the last few years that money went into the reserve and that money will pay the excess this year. We have an excelent finance committee here.

How is your snow removal budget handled? I live in a condo in CT and for years we had the same snow removal service. In the winter of 2011-2012, it only snowed once, a couple of inches. He was paid what his contract called for for the season. Then last winter, it snowed a lot, including the blizzard in Feb. He got what his contract called for (about $15,000 I believe) to plow one fairly large parking lot and 2 much smaller ones. The end of the winter he asked for and got an additional $7000. This past winter, our board chose a different plow company with a fairly reasonable rate. We just found out that was only for 13 inches of snow (which we had by December) and now he is demanding thousands more, too. So, how does Spring Arbor handle their snow budget? Do they contract with someone for the season, by the storm, by the inch? How did you have money left over? The reason I am asking is I am coming to Delaware next week to do some looking at communities and want to add that to my list of questions to ask at the various communities.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2014, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
7,808 posts, read 10,474,818 times
Reputation: 7817
Retiree2011 -Are you active with your condo board? i.e. when they have meeting do you attend? This is where all this has to be decided and if you are unhappy, you must voice your concerns at the board meetings. It sounds like your board was presented with such a contract and signed it so you have them to blame, not the snow plow company. Now the above comments are made without benefit of knowing how many RFP's they got in advance and what the others were quoting. Additionally, you had an abnormally snowy winter, so that also played into it. I relo'd here from LI and our average annual snow fall is between 20 -35 inches of snow and I believe your state is similar if not a little higher, so it sounds like the board went for a lower initial quote and played the odds and lost. Sometimes the more reasonable one is not the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top