U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 05:39 PM

53 posts, read 98,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
How is your snow removal budget handled? I live in a condo in CT and for years we had the same snow removal service. In the winter of 2011-2012, it only snowed once, a couple of inches. He was paid what his contract called for for the season. Then last winter, it snowed a lot, including the blizzard in Feb. He got what his contract called for (about $15,000 I believe) to plow one fairly large parking lot and 2 much smaller ones. The end of the winter he asked for and got an additional $7000. This past winter, our board chose a different plow company with a fairly reasonable rate. We just found out that was only for 13 inches of snow (which we had by December) and now he is demanding thousands more, too. So, how does Spring Arbor handle their snow budget? Do they contract with someone for the season, by the storm, by the inch? How did you have money left over? The reason I am asking is I am coming to Delaware next week to do some looking at communities and want to add that to my list of questions to ask at the various communities.
Thanks!
I am not exactly sure how our contract works. I know we have a contract and our properrty committee decides if there is enough snow for them to shovel our walks and driveways. We had our HOA board meeting and were told that they budget a certain amount of money for snow removal. The past few years they did not use all the money that was budgeted so that money was put in the reserves. This year when we went over our budget, they just took the money out of the reserve. The builder still plows the roads but in the spring or summer the township will take over maintenence of the roads on myside of Spring Arbor. I'll look our finance committee and property committee reports so that I get you some answers.

Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM

805 posts, read 897,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Retiree2011 -Are you active with your condo board? i.e. when they have meeting do you attend? This is where all this has to be decided and if you are unhappy, you must voice your concerns at the board meetings. It sounds like your board was presented with such a contract and signed it so you have them to blame, not the snow plow company. Now the above comments are made without benefit of knowing how many RFP's they got in advance and what the others were quoting. Additionally, you had an abnormally snowy winter, so that also played into it. I relo'd here from LI and our average annual snow fall is between 20 -35 inches of snow and I believe your state is similar if not a little higher, so it sounds like the board went for a lower initial quote and played the odds and lost. Sometimes the more reasonable one is not the best.

Thanks for the info. I actually just got on the board. I believe the snow plow company "lowballed" the estimate to get the contract. He does not even have a snow plowing company - is a tree removal company - and subcontracts to people with trucks with plows when it snows. He also sub-contracts to a man with a truck that spreads sand when it snow - at $375 per application. One day they came twice and charged $750 for sand. This is definitely the first and last time our association will hire a tree removal company to do our plowing.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:13 AM

560 posts, read 806,115 times
We do not pay to have the streets plowed at Roesville. The developer is responsible for that. We are only paying to have our walks and driveways cleared.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:02 PM

7,882 posts, read 10,572,917 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I actually just got on the board. I believe the snow plow company "lowballed" the estimate to get the contract. He does not even have a snow plowing company - is a tree removal company - and subcontracts to people with trucks with plows when it snows. He also sub-contracts to a man with a truck that spreads sand when it snow - at $375 per application. One day they came twice and charged $750 for sand. This is definitely the first and last time our association will hire a tree removal company to do our plowing.

Good for you. I am in my DE community a year last month and I was approached to run for the board which would have been in September of last year. I declined because I felt that I needed to be here for a full year to fairly be on the board. I will run if we have an opening this September, because I now feel that I am informed enough about the area to make the decisions that are often necessary.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:05 AM

Smile In Dover area now looking around

I got to Dover yesterday and looked at Nobles Pond and Fieldstone Village yesterday and both have grown a lot since I was last there. Just stopped by Longacre Village and the same there. Their clubhouse and pool are complete now and lots of houses being built. So many things to consider so I am just looking around and will go home and mull things over. It looks as if Spring Meadow is complete - I drove thru and did not see a sales office, as I did on the last trip.

Good luck to all in their search for their dream home!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:11 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,800,542 times
Quote:
I got to Dover yesterday and looked at Nobles Pond and Fieldstone Village yesterday and both have grown a lot since I was last there. Just stopped by Longacre Village and the same there......
Glad you were there in person. I had a couple of questions.

1. Did you happen to see if any of the available lots in Longacre would be able to have a walkout basement?

2. Do the newer homes in Fieldstone Village look like they are site-built rather than modular?

Old 04-11-2014, 11:19 AM

Smile not sure

I did not see a salesperson at Longacre Village, but lots of people outside, so I can ask someone and get back on here. I am no expert in building, but rdlr thinks Fieldstone Village is manufactured and I would believe her. It might be wet there, as I saw a couple of ponds on-site. I will drive thru again and see if I can ask a resident about the basement possibility.

Just another possibility to consider. I found Modern Maturity center by accident yesterday, while looking for Bylers for ice cream. This is a beautiful senior center with exercise room, the usual senior activities, including pool tables which my center in CT certainly does not have, and a large swimming pool with the water kept at 88 degrees. If you buy in a community with no pool, or pool not in yet, this is a backup plan. Plus it is open all year, whereas most community pools are outdoor and summer only.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:45 AM

Smile the answer is yes!

There are 2 walkout basement sites left - premium lots on a new cul-de-sac area with a view of a pond, about 1/3 of an acre and only 5 lots left and 5 spec quick-move-in homes. So not a lot left - the place looks great and great location. I came back here and sales office was open and I am doing a walk-around now myself. They nicely let me use their computer to get onto CDR.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:13 PM

7,363 posts, read 10,803,781 times
Quote:
I am no expert in building, but rdlr thinks Fieldstone Village is manufactured and I would believe her.
I stand corrected. The original ones are manufactured homes, now they are marketing another type - maybe modular, maybe stick built - not sure.

Retiree -You are doing a wonderful job adding to 55+ information! Kudos to you!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:24 AM

Smile thanks!

I took Sun. off from looking and went to the museum in Rehoboth Beach. I see what people mean when they talk about the beach traffic on this forum and this is April! I think the beach would be an off-season destination for me after seeing the traffic.

Just found out that Longacre Village - which I am now leaning towards - will wrap up where they are in about a year and a half and then will be building nearby, so people who are worried that they are almost completed and are not quite ready to move, have another option. Just driving around I am amazed by all the signs on the roadside pointing to 55+ new construction - certainly no shortage of homes to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware