U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 07:13 PM

1,799 posts, read 3,832,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
As a long-time veteran of a house-hunt myself I would suggest when you next go to the Dover area to take a look at the local senior center, Modern Maturity. I have not seen any other that matches it. All the usual senior activities (many of which you can get in a 55+ community anyway), but a nice gym and an indoor pool that I was told is kept at about 88 degrees. The pool alone is worth joining the center for and would be mostly usable (for me anyway) in the cooler months.
This reminded me of something.......Fieldstone Village (across the road and field from Noble's Pond and in back of Redner's Market) includes a membership to the Modern Maturity Center in their HOA dues. Well, actually you get a choice of that or a membership to a golf course. That takes the place of the fact that they don't have an activity center. Also, although FV started out with manufactured homes, the homes they are building now are stick built. This particular community seems to have some smaller single family homes that may work with up to $125K price range. We got info from them but I threw it out so I can't remember the exact pricing there. Some also have 1 car garages.

I do know that Southern Meadow in Magnolia, DE has some homes in the price range. They also have an activity center and pool as well. Unfortunately I can't seem to find if they are land lease or fee simple. Southern Meadow - Exceeding Your Retirement Expectations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 07:05 AM

137 posts, read 282,166 times
Default Answers from a Southern Meadow resident

Hello to future Delaware friends!

It's been a long time since I posted here. I do, however, receive email updates regularly as I have been subscribed to this forum for a long time.

As a resident of Southern Meadow for the past four years, I hope I can answer any questions some of you have about our community.

Re pets, yes, we do have a restrictive policy regarding free-roaming cats. All owners are required to keep their kitties indoors or when outdoors, on a leash. We have had problems for several years with feral cats and don't want our precious "Fluffys" to be harmed in cat fights. Speaking of Fluffys, my own Fluffy was very happy here since she was an indoor cat anyway. Many of our residents own cats, and they do very well.

As far as getting fresh air outdoors, I can offer a solution: enclosed porches. Each of Southern Meadow's homes has a front porch. One of our newest models, the Dogwood, even has a screened in back porch. Screened in back porches are an option on the largest model, the Acacia, and lots of our Acacia-owning neighbors have one. My own home is an Acacia with the larger extended front porch. We screened ours in this past summer. If our kitty were still alive, she would have loved spending time out there.

Regarding land lease or fee simple, we are land lease. The monthly lot rent varies according to the size and location of one's lot. It covers our rent, activity fee, garbage and recycles collection, lawn mowing, street maintenance, commons area landscaping, community garden prep, sewage treatment, and street snow removal.

We are an intentionally smaller 55+ community than the others in the area. We have spaces for around 105 or so homes, and we are almost completely full. One advantage of being smaller means we are able to know all our neighbors. It's rare to take a walk or bike-ride around our community and not stop to visit several times.

Our homes may be manufactured, but they are very well made. The interior walls look nothing like those found in "double-wides," and ceilings are flat, not peaked. Last fall our group took a tour of the factory where our homes are made. It was very interesting to see the process and to be able to ask questions.

Feel free to come down to visit us. Sometimes the main office advertises a sleep-over get acquainted visit. You will stay in one of our model homes and be paired with a long-time resident who answers questions and offers more information over dinner. Check the website for the office phone number to inquire.

I hope this helps answer some of the earlier posted questions.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 AM

805 posts, read 896,142 times
Smile thanks

I did take a look at Southern Meadow, including a re-sale on one of the streets at the back of the complex, near the pond. I am hopeful that the cat would be happy on a sunporch/screened-in room and want one anyway for myself. But he is used to going outside and I don't want problems in a community or to have to move again. I liked the homes in Southern Meadow - the size is good for me, definitely want a garage, liked the clubhouse and pool. When I sit outside where I live now, he often sits near (or on) me, but would probably freak out if I tried to put a leash on him.

Thanks for the good info. You are in a good place and I am glad your cat was happy there during its lifetime.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 7,154 times
Is anyone familiar with The Grande, over 55 rental apartments in Dover? My husband and I are ready to relocate within the next 2 months or so but not ready to purchase a home. Not really sure if we want to purchase again, so our plan is to rent for at least a year or 2 until we settle on a location within Kent County to buy. Saw the apartments, really like them but would like some insight or reviews if possible. Please help!!! Thanks

Old 02-11-2015, 11:44 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranncoop View Post
Is anyone familiar with The Grande, over 55 rental apartments in Dover?
I think the location is great, very close to the Modern Maturity Center for indoor swimming and classes. They are kind of expensive though-- starting at $950 for one bedroom.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:21 PM

42 posts, read 56,887 times
Question:

Im getting a little closer to retirement. That being said I still have work to do about de cluttering the house, etc.
I have been looking at Delaware as it is a little closer to family in the DC area. However, I would be giving up a tax break on my state pension, although Delaware property taxes look enticing I am hearing vague things about water and other utilities which may not be that enticing and may actually bring my costs up rather than either stay the same or go down a bit.
Has anyone information on heating costs and electric / water in either Champion's Club in a home the size of a Raleigh or an equivalent in Nobles Pond or Longacre?

Some people I know at work have recommended going instead to a Sun City in SC. Im not sure about going further south but one have to consider finances. I am a one income person and doing fine but inflation is always a factor.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:03 PM

7,866 posts, read 10,540,715 times
Search both in the De. thread you may get your answers there. Or possibly some one will answer here. You do need to understand and weigh the options and you are wise to start thinking. Here is the little help I can offer.

1st 12,500 of your pension is not subject to taxes. There is no sales tax. Here is a link

The Advantages of Retiring in Delaware | Finance - Zacks

Old 04-01-2015, 12:21 PM

71 posts, read 160,964 times
This article may be of interest to those of you who may in the market for a +55 at the beach. Only time will tell if it gets the relavant approvals, but interesting nonetheless.

Reserves at Nassau now for seniors - By Ron MacArthur - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA

Old 05-15-2015, 12:17 PM

22 posts, read 23,691 times
Does anyone live in Heron Bay in Lewes, DE? Looking at a home there but I am not sure about the Community.

Also, wondering if anyone has any info on new homes at Shoreview Woods in Milton, DE. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:41 PM

805 posts, read 896,142 times
Smile Cats

Kitten 2014 don't know if you own a cat or not but many "pet friendly communities" do not allow cats who venture outside, unless on a leash (!) I ran into this last year, when ready to purchase a new house in a 55+ community. I was

told " a lot of people here don't like cats" to "tie my cat up" if I moved there. I decided that place was not for me. Now my cat has has terminal cancer, and I will move , but not to any of the places that rejected me because of the cat! I will stay where http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=39542392 am till the cat passes on,then move to a 55+ place. I decided I don't want to live in a place where a cat can't can't sit outside on in the sun without a "neighbor" complaining!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware