U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 07:29 PM

27 posts, read 67,013 times

Advertisements

Hi to everyone...I must say, I've read this entire thread, and I feel like I've finished a novel. It's complete with great characters, like Joycie and ElizaMary and Charley and so many more...with villains, like the evil ones who email and spam and plot and lurk (the nukes and the cancer clusters) scenery and backdrops (the ocean, the ocean, and the ocean). With suspense, like reading the 2007 posts and finding everyone so worried about the housing markets...ahem... and hoping that the main characters would still be around, to say THANK YOU! for your research, your sharing, and especially your willingness to take the time to engage others....
I am hoping to relocate to DE, alone, as soon as...you know, right? Yes, a house sells. I know no less than 12 people who are where they are because they cannot sell. Had 2 contracts on my home and both fell through because the buyers could not sell their homes.
I have marked each recommendation and site to use to work on my research and have come to the point where I know a few things. Central and W/central DE, not near the summer/holiday traffic...one floor, sunroom for my green thumb, pool 12 months a year, pets allowed.
My divorce is almost done, and I want this next phase of my life to be low stress and high enjoyment. I have close friends in NJ, Hillsborough and Franklin Park, and in So. MD. Need good medical care, and I am very choosy about it.
So hello, thanks for your posts, I'll be "mining" for weeks... Any suggestions will be welcome, I'll try to show up here regularly, and will have lots of questions. so I'll start with these, since so many of the regular ones have been asked over the past few years:
What is available for stimulating entertainment, like plays, shows, libraries, etc....which colleges might have those kind of things?
Do any of you live in a community with book clubs and trips large and small, and gardening groups? Good ideas to volunteer? Great/good/any yoga classes?
I love all kinds of people and groups; and I would like to know if any communities are geared more toward happy couples rather than single people? I hope that some of my favorite characters from the thread might be new neighbors!
Meanwhile, I just keep waiting for something to break with the economy...which it will, and when it does, I want to be ready to finalize my decision and get on with life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:47 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,547,382 times
HI Soujourner..........

So glad you enjoyed this thread. It is agood one with all kinds of opions, styles and facts.

An individual choice no doubt and there is a community just made for you.

We do not have a pool 12 months a year but Roesville does. Very nice community in Felton DE.
Our activies just got on the ball about 7 months ago.
you can check out out blog at I-Realty. com. There will will see the many activities.
Most communities have this but some that are just starting it may take a while to get them up and running.
I can't speak for other communities cuz I really don't know but we have a single group here as well as married.
We do have a book club, trips once in a while. August it is baltimore harbor.......next week Cape May on the ferry.
There are also senior centers around that provide, trips, games, classes and so on.
Last night we did tee shirt painting. Turned ou.......not bad. Hubby will be wearing it today. LOL

Good luck in selling your home. I know the market is not moving as well as we hoped and rotten shame for a load of folks.
If you need any information about any of the communities just Direct message me.
I'm not sure what all is on this thread but Charley and a few others have checked out Roesville in Felton and fell in love with this community. A few new ones have been added since this thread started.

Good luck and anything I can do to help.......Just let me know.
Eliza

Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 AM

Eliza,
Thanks for responding! I will check out Roesville...
I don't know how to direct respond; cannot find anything to tell me how.
your activities sound great; I would like to ask you a few questions directly about Southern Meadows, and would prefer to do it more privately than this blog. Is there another way to reach you? I am not sure about posting my email address here...
Your info all through the post has been invaluable. I printed out about 25 pages!I am now in the process of highlighting posts and sorting them be community or topic...something to do while waiting for the economy and housing market to show signs of life.
Do you think people still looking will look to this post? It's the best in any subject I've seen...all the good things about the internet with not too much of the bad. Which says a lot for the people on the thread, don't you think? It makes me very optimistic about my prospective neighbors...
Thanks so much, Eliza!! Your posts make the sun shine on my relocation. You and Charley alone are worth any realtor I've met!!
Jan

Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM

I am looking for help to revive this thread; any newcomers would certainly find the information in early post very helpful, and new posts could pick up where they left off.
I am waiting for a house to sell before I can move to Delaware. But for now, good research can help me to look forward to my new life and to be ready for the sale when I am financially able to do that.

I know I am not alone; there are so many of us whose retirement has been impacted by the economic upheaval going on...I'd like to offer, and ask for, support in that process, from people in similar situations, who still want Delaware for their next phase of life. That takes posts: so if anyone has an idea about how to add folks to this thread, I hope you'll speak up. There is a fountain of careful research already....so we can add to it, and specifically address how the financial situation has affected home prices, completion of communities, builders of new communities, people who are living in DE now and what thy learned the first year of their retirement....endless possibilities. Jump in, folks!
Jan

Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 AM

Great Idea Soujourner and I sent you a diirect message with my email address.
Let me know if you get it.

This is a great thread for people looking to relocate or retire. A ton of planning is in order along with talking all different types of people then finding out what is right for you.
Just because someone has lived in a particular state all their life does not make them an expert of your life or how you want to live your life.
So gather ALL the facts and see what suits your particular needs and wants.

I willl see if I can get charley to chime in too. He is very technical and has a head for figures.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:43 PM

55+ Active Adult, Age Restricted & Active Lifestyle Communities DE Delaware

There are 2 55+ community threads so I'm putting this information in Both.

I think the list is pretty updated.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:43 AM
RWH

145 posts, read 80,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner950 View Post
Eliza,
I don't know how to direct respond; cannot find anything to tell me how.
Jan
If you place you mouse cursor onto Elizamary's name, you will see a list of options drop down. The second one will be to send her a direct message. Click on that and you wiill be able to send her a message.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 PM

Talking DMs

Thanks, RPW !

I appreciate that. I'm still learning after being sidelined with an injury. I learn more here than in a class..

I'm interested to know if you're looking to relo to DE, or are already there?
Do you have info to share or seek?

I'm trying to be patient about the housing market/economy, because I really want to move on..

I hope you don't think I'm nosy; I really want to jump start this thread...

Thanks for your help! Hope to see you here again...

Jan

Old 07-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Unhappy sorry bout that

sorry! RWH!

Jan

Old 07-21-2009, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 17,646 times
Default Roesville

We just visited Roesville this past week end, there is "nothing" there. No clubhouse, no pool, 6 people living there, no trees, brown grass.
The models were nice, it's not land lease, house built a slab, pre constructed off site, 2 x 4 outer walls, low r value, and with the HOA fees and taxes your looking at $6000.00 to $7,000.00 a year not including utilities and home owners insurance. I just don't see the VALUE.
But hey, somebody will LOVE it ! ! ! !
Next stop, NOBELS POND.
See Ya
Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware