U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2009, 02:48 PM

3,696 posts, read 7,503,251 times
It's enough to make your head spin but like you said there are a lot of good posts, we may not have to throw a dart on a dartboard (map) after all <G>. We have some time yet and actually aren't quite decided on what state so I guess you could say we're in the very early stages, leaning to a 55+ community as it's a good way to meet people if you're moving from another state. Have looked a little and hope to be looking more in the next several months (not quite yet). I just hope when the time comes (hopefully in the not-too-distant future), our house sells fast but that may be wishful thinking not unlike everyone else. Would be neat if we all end up in the same area ;-)
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 06:10 PM

8 posts, read 12,632 times
Default Real Information

I think this link is very helpfull, however, is there anyone out there that actually lives in any of these areas and could give some indication of what they REALLY are ?
So far after reading pages and pages of good information and questions I still don't see any confirmation or selling of what a great place it is. Or is everyone here just "LOOKING" ????????????
I will agree that Delaware has some of the best Financial advantages going for it, especially against New Jersey.
But if all this blog is just about searching then whats the use?
I can see people have given a lot of time and effort looking for the "pie in the sky", but we bolggers really need to share hard core information.
Right or wrong ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:17 PM

3,696 posts, read 7,503,251 times
Steve,
I hear your frustration but I think a lot of us are in the same boat (basically) although our time frames may be slightly different. Personally I've been impressed w/ DE and what little we've seen but we're also open to other areas and are keeping an open mind, in the meantime am reading the newer posts here and on other forums and am keeping in mind posts that may pertain to us. Everyone's different, what appeals to one person may not appeal to the next, heck what appeals to my hubby may not appeal to me etc. The posts have been helpful and I think will be more helpful in the coming weeks and months (not only where to live but restaurants, beaches, healthcare, even landlease etc). Plus we're all in different stages, some have moved a couple of yrs ago, others more recently, some have stopped posting and others continue to post, my impression is most ppl are here to get info (or give). Anyway, any info you or anyone else can share is more than welcome (even if we have different opinions, which is fine, life w/b too boring otherwise, right?! )
Not sure if I answered your question(s) at all but maybe gave you a little insight - hopefully others will chime in soon - so don't get discouraged, just hang in there and keep looking (if you're settled on DE) and check out other areas and let us know your opinions, ideas etc, like you said sharing is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Van Der Meer View Post
I think this link is very helpfull, however, is there anyone out there that actually lives in any of these areas and could give some indication of what they REALLY are ?
So far after reading pages and pages of good information and questions I still don't see any confirmation or selling of what a great place it is. Or is everyone here just "LOOKING" ????????????
I will agree that Delaware has some of the best Financial advantages going for it, especially against New Jersey.
I can see people have given a lot of time and effort looking for the "pie in the sky", but we bolggers really need to share hard core information.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:51 PM

19,922 posts, read 7,027,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Van Der Meer View Post
The information that I posted is, as you desire, hard core information, obtained by going to each of the communities, seeing several homes in each one, talking to the sales staff, talking to the some of the people who had purchased homes and reading the websites of each community.

My suggestion is that you do the same. There's nothing like getting out there and seeing for yourself and asking the questions you need to ask in order to gather your data.

Naturally, I would assume that after your travels, you will share you information here as others have done.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:19 PM

144 posts, read 224,492 times
Many of us nearing retirement live in expensive, high tax areas. We do our homework and visit 55+ communites that we are interested in. We find out the taxes, HOA fees, home model choices and if they have a community center with ammenties, such as a year round pool. One, trip to a community is usually not enough for most people, to decide. They have to make several and also take into consideration where shopping, hospitals etc. are located. It really is a huge decision to make. With todays economy and housing market, it is difficult to undo once the change is made. That is why we discuss or ready the blogs. We are all learning together.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:02 AM

15,475 posts, read 7,287,475 times
Hi Everyone..........

I DO live in a 55+ community in Central DE. I have shared this in previous post plus many information on this subject on this board.
But I will spill it again.

Best decsion we ever made in our lives was to retire to a 55+ community. I love this type of living. I really do. Never had so many friends or such a busy social life. Bookclub, swimming, aerobics, cards, parties, bowling, movies, trips to the beach and the beat goes on.
DH has been retired 10 years. I retired 2 1/2 years ago........immediately moving to our new home in Southern Meadows Central DE.

You must do the research. Read ALL the information people post, visit the communities, see what you can afford, know the lifestyle that would make you happy and ask question.,........every question you can thing of.
Gather up all your information.....compare communities, states and utiilities.

For us........we had a a beer pocketbook with a rich mans taste. We knew a pool was necessary and a gym along with a nice home.
It was a tough decsion but we found this place and love living here. No regrets whatsoever.
We love living in a community with people in our phase of life and no little kids running around.
This doesn't mean I do not love kids.....I do and have 2 grand children I adore. But our life is peace and quiet.......fun and games just how we like it.
If this isn't for you then don't move to a 55 + community. That simple.
Then you have to decide if you want stick and brick or manufactured..........land lease or fee simple.
These are all things you must consider.
Some people have moved back to where they have come from and left his life behind ..reasons....
Homesick for the grand kids is a big one.
not being able to sell their other home
or in certain instances some that don't wish to mingle......they want to go back closer to family.
You have to know you and know what you want.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:54 PM

27 posts, read 48,319 times
I'm in a holding pattern waiting for a home to sell. I have a back problem which means I can't travel as much as I'd like to (though I will when the time comes to get to the nitty-gritty.) But I can read, print-out, highlight, post, ask questions, and keep learning about the area and issues I need to know to make a good decision...
One thing, though, which I think WE need to do, is to update information to reflect what may have changed, for the better or not, in communities which were just starting...and new ones we didn't have a lot of info on.
I've received packets from a few communities but they have less information than I had to start with. The full view of the planned community, especially where they list which/how many models will go in certain areas...
I don't think I'll have any choice about the land lease...but I am worried about how much the land rent might go up...anyone have that info?
The tax situation is good for me; I know that's true for many of us. So between the tax rates and the land lease, I can end up in a nice place and I think a pretty good community...it would be good if we could get more residents on here; Eliza gives us a great view of So.Meadows...I'd love to hear from someone in others...
One more thing: how hot is it there now? Is it very humid? What is fall like...is winter generally milder than inland? I lived near the Bay for several years and we got snow but it didn't usually last very long.
Thanks to all of you who join in and post. I want to be ready to go as soon as that cloud lifts off of the horizon...
Jan

Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 AM

15,475 posts, read 7,287,475 times
Hi soujouner,

Actually, what we did was collect information on the cost on all communities we sent for brochures.
Then we picked certain ones to visit.
I understand about your back problem and you are doing everything you need to do to make this life changing change.

You know what you can afford and what you want and your ahead of the game there. Thats a good thing. The brochures tell you what the amnenties are which were important for us.
I knew we wanted a pool, gym and actiities. Next was to find one that we could afford or where we got the most for money.
Lot rent is a biggie and they all WILL go up in time. Ours went up $20.00 in 3 years. I dont' know what the rate is in the other communities but at that time......ours was one of the lowest. Not sure about now.
We also wanted an attractive home.
I had narrowed our search down to 3 and then we visited cuz it was a tough decsion.

Another piece of advice I would like to share......If you can visit..drive around and talk to the residents if you see them out. You can tell if people are happy by watching how they interact.
I know someone who visited a community in PA and bumped into a disgruntled tenant. He complained about flooding and the land lord not fixing the problem.
Find out about the owners of these communities too.

I"m not sure if residents of other land lease 55+ communities post here but If so.......we would love to hear from you.

I did hear good things about Nobles pond and Wild Meadows.

Bon Ayre......not so good so I hear?

Barclay farms........okay so I hear?

Another community thats not mentioned that is really nice in my opinion is Sussex West in Lewes. Wouldn't hurt to check it out.
I like it but it is in a heavily traffic area in the summer. Of course, it was sort of off the beatened path so maybe it wouldn't be too bad.
They offered us a great deal throwing in the furniture too but they had no pool. That was the draw back.
Everyone is different and maybe someone else may love Sussex for other reasons.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:17 PM
RWH

145 posts, read 58,715 times
The builder in Roesville is J. S. Hovnanian. His company has 4 or 5 communities in New Jersey and 1 in Delaware which is Roesville. K. Hovnanian has built communities throughout the US. If I remember correctly, J. S. and K. are brothers but their companies are separate from one another.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the clubhouse. I can't see them building it until there are a lot more homes sold. That is just my opinion. Personally, I hope they start construction in September. Having a clubhouse is one of the items high on my list in deciding where I want to live.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:51 PM

8 posts, read 12,632 times
Default Good Delaware site

Hi all,
I just found this great web site, "www.firstgov.gov". After you log on select any catagory and then select the "state" in the upper left window. You can find out everything you want to know about Deleware except, will "you" be happy living there. Charley, this is right up your ally, lots of facts and figures, good stuff. I will leave you all with one tidbit of info from the "Delaware Facing Forward- - - -"Delaware is aging faster than the rest of the country--between the years 2000 and 2030, the US popluation over 65 is expected to double while Delaware's over 65 population is expected to grow by almost 134% ! ! !! ! !
How about them apples ?
See ya,
Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware