U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 12:57 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,990,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeD View Post
Yes, it is a long trip. When we go I like to combine it with a visit to Dover Downs, the free Dover Air Force Base Museum and Where Pigs Fly. I must also add Blyers....
It's an equally long trip from Rockland County and your stops are our stops. Especially "Pigs", Bylers, The Smyrna Diner, Country Eaterie, Harrington Slots & Dover Downs ... all faves! Add to that a quick trip down to Rehoboth Beach for the outlets, a walk in the sand and some Grotto Pizza and just call it heaven!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM

4,132 posts, read 13,317,681 times
Oh how nice!, will definitely keep it in mind. My son in PA has some places like that near where he lives (including a huge 'amish' restaurant on the premises) but we don't get there often. We were pretty amazed when we drove past the Walmarts and there was a section for horse and buggies ;-)

Anyway, thx for the heads-up, will have to check it out.

PS I wonder if there's any chance that any of the restaurants you and Charley mention have lite or low-calorie foods, LOL (otherwise my pup will be very happy w/ occasional doggie bags!)

Old 08-03-2009, 01:27 PM

144 posts, read 325,839 times
I am happy that you added a few more stops to our list. Not sure where Country Eaterie, or Grotto Pizza is. Would the pizza be comparable to NY? Never been to Harrington Slots. Is it similar to Dover Downs? I just love those penny slot machines. We have been to the Rehoboth outlets, my favorite store is Coach. Always, looking for a great handbag...lol

Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Oh how nice!, will definitely keep it in mind. My son in PA has some places like that near where he lives (including a huge 'amish' restaurant on the premises) but we don't get there often. We were pretty amazed when we drove past the Walmarts and there was a section for horse and buggies ;-)

Anyway, thx for the heads-up, will have to check it out.

PS I wonder if there's any chance that any of the restaurants you and Charley mention have lite or low-calorie foods, LOL (otherwise my pup will be very happy w/ occasional doggie bags!)
I think Charley has been to more of the eateries than us. I do know that when I go to Where Pigs Fly, I always get whatever I want and just watch the portion sizes...I don't bring my 2 toy Maltese's along to benefit from my smaller portions....One dislikes the car and the other loves it..so we feel it best to leave them both home. They can enjoy each others company and not be separated...

Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
It's an equally long trip from Rockland County and your stops are our stops. Especially "Pigs", Bylers, The Smyrna Diner, Country Eaterie, Harrington Slots & Dover Downs ... all faves! Add to that a quick trip down to Rehoboth Beach for the outlets, a walk in the sand and some Grotto Pizza and just call it heaven!
Charley, please see my response, I messed up on saving the quote...

Old 08-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I am happy that you added a few more stops to our list. Not sure where Country Eaterie, or Grotto Pizza is. Would the pizza be comparable to NY? Never been to Harrington Slots. Is it similar to Dover Downs? I just love those penny slot machines. We have been to the Rehoboth outlets, my favorite store is Coach. Always, looking for a great handbag...lol
Nothing compares to New York pizza, but Grotto gets close.

If you Google Country Eaterie, you can get the address. Grotto is a chain and all over Delaware, including right by the beach at Rehoboth. Harrington is like Dover Downs except the buffet is less expensive and I think better.

If health permits, my wife and I are planning a two or three night stay during Christmas week! We want to take a look at the progress at Roesville.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 PM

Well thank you for the information. I will google the Country Eaterie, and also happy to hear that Grotto pizza is not bad...lol. Charley, perhaps if you go to Roesville in December the Palmer model will be completed and beautifully decorated like the other models. I do like the idea of a year round pool. One thing that does turn me off is the shopping being so far away. At Middletown, the new Walmart is completed, and you can walk to it from Spring Arbor. Just to update you, the Symrna Diner is no more. They took it down...

Old 08-03-2009, 10:46 PM

Summering, google Air Mobility Command Museum Dover, DE., and you can read about the hours, driving directions, and what you will see. Parking and admission is free.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Well thank you for the information. I will google the Country Eaterie, and also happy to hear that Grotto pizza is not bad...lol. Charley, perhaps if you go to Roesville in December the Palmer model will be completed and beautifully decorated like the other models. I do like the idea of a year round pool. One thing that does turn me off is the shopping being so far away. At Middletown, the new Walmart is completed, and you can walk to it from Spring Arbor. Just to update you, the Symrna Diner is no more. They took it down...
They didn't take it down. They relocated. They are a little further north on 13 in a bigger restaurant. Here's the new one:
http://www.smyrnadiner.net/

I look forward to seeing the Palmer model but we like the Mayfair very much.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
They didn't take it down. They relocated. They are a little further north on 13 in a bigger restaurant. Here's the new one:
Smyrna Diner, Smyrna Delaware 19977

I look forward to seeing the Palmer model but we like the Mayfair very much.
Hi Charley: I am happy to hear that the Smyrna Diner is still in existence. It has been there so long it seems like a Landmark. Thanks for the link.

We like the Mayfair as well, but I am interested in seeing a Palmer, just for the heck of it. This site is great for finding out information. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware