U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 09:26 AM

60 posts, read 177,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeD View Post
Yes, I agree. The clubhouse and pool should be in place in order to give any consideration to moving there.
We made our first trip to check out 55+ communities this past weekend with my brother and sister in law. We looked at Roesville and Champions Club. It appears that you get more for your money at Roesville, but the clubhouse wasn't even started on yet and the sales manager said they are running a bit behind. That is a concern as I've seen this happen to communities in NJ before. The builder at Roesville seems to have a good rep, but in this day and age, that can change overnight.
Another thing that concerned us is the lack of any Orthodox churches in the area. There is only one Greek Orthodox Church in the whole state of De and it's in Wilmington! I guess there's not a very large Greek population there or if there is they don't go to church
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 11:22 AM

4,131 posts, read 13,313,151 times
I agree too, a while back I had said the lack of a clubhouse and pool wouldnt be a dealbreaker for me but in thinking further about it, it might be - talk is cheap - and it w/b a show of good faith if Roesville would break ground for it. I realize $$ is paramount when so few apparently have been sold but as prospective buyers are still looking and liking what they see (the models are lovely), not having a clubhouse and pool is going to be the first concern on everyone's mind when touring various 55+ communities, I can only imagine how the few original residents must be feeling, it just casts doubts, that's where you usually meet people and tend to hang out. We're not golfers but who knows, my dh may play for fun - I would hope any community would have a wide variety of activities residents can choose from. While new w/b nice (and a first for us), an established community would have perks such as those. Like Charley, we haven't ruled Roesville out and we do have some time but we want to make the best decision and get the most for our money as we hope our next move w/b our last and that we'd there for a long time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Well there are many communities to choose from. the other thing I would be concerned about as to when they will be the clubhouse and pool.
These days......that would have to already be in place for me to consider moving there

Old 09-14-2009, 12:54 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,989,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I agree too ...
Me too. If I wanted a home in a community without a clubhouse / pool and the comraderie and friendships that develop in these shared community assets, I'd just stay here in New York. It's the socialization that is most important to me and I think the clubhouse / pool are vital.

I used to go to the Live South shows that are held in hotels around the area. One of the things that the speakers kept driving home was that the number one asset requested in 55+ communities was a pool ... and the least used asset in those communities - was the pool.

I can't imagine having access to a pool and not using it.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:31 PM

60 posts, read 177,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
One of the things that the speakers kept driving home was that the number one asset requested in 55+ communities was a pool ... and the least used asset in those communities - was the pool.

I can't imagine having access to a pool and not using it.
The thing we really liked about Roesville is that they'll have both an indoor and outdoor pool. Unless you live in AZ or another "warm" state; you don't get more than 6 months use out of a pool (if that, even).
The sales manager said the current HOA is $93 per month and going up to $104/per month once the clubhouse is completed. I would think a clubhouse is worth alot more than $10 a month, and I'd be pretty upset to be paying that high of an HOA fee to have my lawn mowed.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:31 PM

LOL, we always went to the Live South shows too (in fact there's one coming to our area soon, we have to decide soon) - they were informative and we got on many mailing lists too, thx to them (got quite a few pens too, LOL!). Friends ended up in the Villages in FL basically b/c of the show(s) although the Vill. is no longer involved in the shows - they like it a lot (especially the husband) but miss their grandchildren who have flown down a few times to visit and who now are getting older and more independent, they have their own friends and probably wouldn't see them as much as they had when they were younger if they were still in this area.

Getting back to what you said though, it's been a # of years since we had access to a large pool or lake but I would think it would be a huge plus too. Interesting that a pool was #1 in popularity yet at the same time was the least used asset. Goes to show you can't please all the people all the time <go figure>. Bottom line, some social interaction w/b nice, too - more than we have now (not that I need a lot of it but a bit more would be good, ie playing cards, backgammon etc (haven't played in ages, LOL), going out to eat, etc.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:45 PM

Roesville is lovely, but I'd feel more positive when they actually start the clubhouse - on the practical side, I can understand their wanting to wait til they sell more homes but by holding off, it's possible it might not come to pass - IMO most prospective buyers would feel more comfortable seeing it completed, they want to actually see what they're buying rather than take someone's word - there's many 55+ communities in the area that are basically similar and having a clubhouse and pool can make a big difference in appealing to potential buyers

BTW, how did you like the other community you looked at - ? (can't rem. the name of it right now, am getting confused )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorys View Post
The thing we really liked about Roesville is that they'll have both an indoor and outdoor pool. Unless you live in AZ or another "warm" state; you don't get more than 6 months use out of a pool (if that, even).
The sales manager said the current HOA is $93 per month and going up to $104/per month once the clubhouse is completed. I would think a clubhouse is worth alot more than $10 a month, and I'd be pretty upset to be paying that high of an HOA fee to have my lawn mowed.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:50 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,563,541 times
Charley and Honeycrisp............55+ living has it's pros and cons. More pros than cons.
Moving to a different state......clubhouse activities and commeraderie was and still is very important to us.
Lunches, shows, dinners, cards, movies, bowling, exercise activities and just plain old friendship.
A great way to spend the remainder of our lives as long as we can.

A pool was a must for us too even though we only use it about 3 months out of the year. Still, it is a great way to enjoy the summer anytime you want.It's been said 55+ are gossipy and so on but that is anywhere at any age.
The good definatley out weights the bad and we have not looked back with ANY regrets.
I figure.....we worked hard all our lives, raising children, working and maintaining a home....now it is time for the good life.

I would love an indoor pool but not in cards for us. I do miss it in the winter but still I find we are busy. The gals get together for lunches, pedicures, shopping.
We go to the movies once a week at senior prices, bowling on Tues at senior prices plus a lot of our friends have gatherings in their homes. Some Birthday in Jan, Feb and Mar which makes it nice.
We also signed up at the Schwartz theater for about 8 shows in the 2009/2010 season. First one is when we come back from our maine vacation.

I understand Milford HS has an indoor pool for public use. Cost $50 for the year? I think!!

A pool is great but if you have to wait 2 years or more till it is built...I don't know.
In todays market......if the pool is not in........they could stall due to finances.
Many communities I have notice do NOT have a lot of homes sold.
We are half done which is more than some others but we are in a manufactured home and very reasonable. That could be why.
I think we have 45 -50 homes sold already.

The villiages in Fl is very nice and have visited. They have great outdoor entertainment which is open to the public or non villiagers.

Charley........there are people in our community that do not use the pool. Just not pool people I guess but those of us that do......use it a lot.

Make sure any quotes of clubhouse fees are in writing with no chance of change. Otherwise........I would be skeptical.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:52 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,563,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Roesville is lovely, but I'd feel more positive when they actually start the clubhouse - on the practical side, I can understand their wanting to wait til they sell more homes but by holding off, it's possible it might not come to pass - IMO most prospective buyers would feel more comfortable seeing it completed, they want to actually see what they're buying rather than take someone's word - there's many 55+ communities in the area that are basically similar and having a clubhouse and pool can make a big difference in appealing to potential buyers

BTW, how did you like the other community you looked at - ? (can't rem. the name of it right now, am getting confused )

Personally.......I think it is to their advantage to build the clubhouse and pool right away. Many are skeptical if it is not built. Like when will it be built, what is holding them up......how much long before we can use these anemities?
I would be upset if I had to go a whole summer without a pool. Or maybe a couple whole summers.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:04 PM

That's exactly what we're looking for and probably most others looking as well - we could always stay here and watch tv and save ourselves the aggravation / expense of looking / moving but there's more out there and we've had enough of our high taxes - waiting 2 years in the hopes of a pool that may not materialize isn't very tempting. Right now though, things are on hold at the moment for us but hopefully that will change and we can actively look - til then though, we'll have to look vicariously thru websites and others who post their insight and opinions.

Quote:
Charley and Honeycrisp............55+ living has it's pros and cons. More pros than cons.
Moving to a different state......clubhouse activities and commeraderie was and still is very important to us.
Lunches, shows, dinners, cards, movies, bowling, exercise activities and just plain old friendship.
A great way to spend the remainder of our lives as long as we can.

A pool was a must for us too even though we only use it about 3 months out of the year. Still, it is a great way to enjoy the summer anytime you want.It's been said 55+ are gossipy and so on but that is anywhere at any age.
The good definatley out weights the bad and we have not looked back with ANY regrets.
I figure.....we worked hard all our lives, raising children, working and maintaining a home....now it is time for the good life.

I would love an indoor pool but not in cards for us. I do miss it in the winter but still I find we are busy. The gals get together for lunches, pedicures, shopping.
We go to the movies once a week at senior prices, bowling on Tues at senior prices plus a lot of our friends have gatherings in their homes. Some Birthday in Jan, Feb and Mar which makes it nice.
We also signed up at the Schwartz theater for about 8 shows in the 2009/2010 season. First one is when we come back from our maine vacation.

I understand Milford HS has an indoor pool for public use. Cost $50 for the year? I think!!

A pool is great but if you have to wait 2 years or more till it is built...I don't know.
In todays market......if the pool is not in........they could stall due to finances.
Many communities I have notice do NOT have a lot of homes sold.
We are half done which is more than some others but we are in a manufactured home and very reasonable. That could be why.
I think we have 45 -50 homes sold already.

The villiages in Fl is very nice and have visited. They have great outdoor entertainment which is open to the public or non villiagers.

Charley........there are people in our community that do not use the pool. Just not pool people I guess but those of us that do......use it a lot.

Make sure any quotes of clubhouse fees are in writing with no chance of change. Otherwise........I would be skeptical.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM

I totally agree
I would think $$ is holding them up - not enough homes sold compared to what they had hoped / projected (?) - but by building the clubhouse and pool, it would show their commitment to the development and they'd probably get more buyers compared to if there's nothing or just hollow promises. Makes me wish we could look soon and check them out again but it'll have to wait a while. Anyway, time will tell.

Quote:
Personally.......I think it is to their advantage to build the clubhouse and pool right away. Many are skeptical if it is not built. Like when will it be built, what is holding them up......how much long before we can use these anemities?
I would be upset if I had to go a whole summer without a pool. Or maybe a couple whole summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware