U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 08:13 AM

27 posts, read 67,091 times

Advertisements

Hi...on the subject of grocery stores, are there other chains as well? Most Walmarts don't carry several things I like regularly..Kashi foods, good selections of hummus, vegetarian lines like Amy's... is there a Trader Joe's anywhere? I'll research it if no one knows...Maybe the growth we're talking about will mean stores like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. There's always the possibility of a food co-op...
Are there farm markets? (Elizamary?) Especially at this time of year?
Thanks t all of you who post...this thread is a gold mine!

Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 AM

60 posts, read 177,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
Hey all, just wanted to sign in with something else to think about relative to the "cluhbhouse". I have a friend at Legacy at Odessa National in Townsend. Their clubhouse has been finished for at least a year and they won't open it because they are not at 50% occupancy! My friends have been there for over 3 years without a clubhouse and they haven't started the pool yet. They have meeting after meeting but to no avail. What a revoltin development, eh?
WE are actually considering this community. Do you have any idea how many houses are currently built? Also, do you know what sort of taxes/HOA your friend is paying there? This is a bit closer to the Orthodox church in Wilmington that we would want to attend, so that's why we're looking further north. How's the area around there? Is it built up - stores, dining, etc.? Nice areas around there?

Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,987,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner950 View Post
Hi...on the subject of grocery stores, are there other chains as well? Most Walmarts don't carry several things I like regularly..Kashi foods, good selections of hummus, vegetarian lines like Amy's... is there a Trader Joe's anywhere? I'll research it if no one knows...Maybe the growth we're talking about will mean stores like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. There's always the possibility of a food co-op...
Are there farm markets? (Elizamary?) Especially at this time of year?
Thanks t all of you who post...this thread is a gold mine!

Jan

[I answered over in "Off Topic" so that I wouldn't bring this thread off topic. ]

Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM

27 posts, read 67,091 times
Thanks, Charley, for helping me to stay on the right path.

Jan

Old 10-05-2009, 10:19 PM

144 posts, read 325,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
I agree. There is a "square" area in Delaware with corners at Felton, Frederica, Woodside and Magnolia that is just primed for growth. I just hope it isn't overgrowth.

I think keeping the country atmosphere is more important than overgrowth, like the way Middletown is growing in leaps and bounds. I do like it there, but it is very busy. The closeness of shopping is a blessing, but it is also niceto know that you can travel down certain roads and be back in the countryside.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,561,427 times
I feel the same way DeeD..

It's of choice of convenience or living on the countryside..

I like the countryside. Not Much traffic on these back roads.......ahhhhhhhhhh.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM

35 posts, read 92,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorys View Post
It is truly a huge decision, especially moving to another state. I am so afraid of making the wrong decision, uprooting and moving and then regretting it. My husband is afraid that the 55+ communities will be "Fred & Ethel Mertz" like, with neighbors dropping in and expecting everyone to be "buddies". I've tried to convince him that people are so involved in their own lives now and have different interests that take them in other directions and it won't be like that. His biggest fear is "what if we move to Delaware and I hate it?". I don't know how to respond to that question and it's one that's actually in the back of my mind too. They say moving is one of the most traumatic things you can go through (I think behind death and divorce). I think if we move and he's unhappy, I may actually go through the first 2, as well.
I've explained that we just cannot afford to retire here in NJ and live the lifestyle that we've had so far. Believe me, it's not extravagant, but we do go out to dinner occasionally and we take a very nice vacation every year, with a couple weekend treks. We're both currently in sales and things have been extremely slow, so we have cut back where we can now and that's before we even retire!!
I guess you can sense my frustration... like I said before, decisions, decisions...
Rorys,
I don't want to get into trouble talking about NJ on this DE board, so I will answer your question about where we are looking in NJ by trying to send you a private email. Sometimes that service works with City-Data and sometimes it doesn't. They don't give me your email, they just forward on to you what I wrote.

Frank

Old 10-06-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant wait to retire View Post
Hi SerenityWriter - do you live in Southern Maryland? We live in Mechanicsville.
Can't Wait to Retire:

Yes, we live in Waldorf. We've been looking at Champion's Club since the time they first started clearing the land and there were no models. That's at least three years, maybe four, so the 27 homes occupied that someone reported doesn't impress us, even considering this economy. We looked at one community in Virginia that had 55 homes occupied or in final stages of completion in January of 2009 and they had only begun building eight months before. The construction manager for Champion's Club told us the community is 13 feet above sea level which is why they now offer basements. But, doing an aerial look on Google Earth shows an altitude above sea level of exactly zero feet. Scan up to the flightline at Dover and you see an altitude of six feet. The rest of the base is at four feet. This still concerns us with Champion's Club and even if we do decide on it there will be no basement.

Frank

Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorys View Post
WE are actually considering this community. Do you have any idea how many houses are currently built? Also, do you know what sort of taxes/HOA your friend is paying there? This is a bit closer to the Orthodox church in Wilmington that we would want to attend, so that's why we're looking further north. How's the area around there? Is it built up - stores, dining, etc.? Nice areas around there?
I'm pretty sure Legacy is a neighborhood we drove into one day while driving from NJ down to Magnolia. We had never heard of it. There was no sales rep, but the model was open so we walked around -- guess the sales rep was out showing something. Nice houses, but rather expensive if I remember correctly. And, if this is the right neighborhood, there is a major problem with driveways. We want a neighborhood we can walk, preferably on the sidewalks rather than in the streets. The neighborhood I'm thinking of had very, very short driveways. We actually measured some of them and they were less than ten feet from the sidewalk to the garage door. We pulled into one of them and our Prius hung out over the sidewalk. Some people had pickups that hung out over the sidewalk and on into the street. We thought this was just on one street, but we drove all the occupied streets and they were all the same. It was a neighborhood around Odessa National, so just check on that if anyone visits. If they don't set the houses back further, the sidewalks will be useless. Oh, and no one was using their garage for a car. Every garage door that was open showed the garage was being used for storage and the cars were in the driveways.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:08 PM

Default Champions Club

quote from Charlie:

When my wife and I visit in December, we're making our list of the things to see and we will have to take another look at Champions Club. It does seem to be the one getting the best reviews right now. I wonder if that would be true if Roesville had their clubhouse and pool???[/quote]

In an earlier post about Champion's Club, I mentioned that the community is not very high above sea level, which is actually true for much of southern Delaware. I don't want anyone to take that negatively. We like Champion's Club and came very close to writing a contract when there were only five houses in some sort of construction mode and no residents. The designs are great (we don't like the new smaller designs, but that's just our opinion), the build quality seems good and there is nothing objectional around the community except the nearness of Dover AFB. Obviously it is the right community for some. We have also looked at McKee (the builder) communities in other parts of DE and in PA. They do a good job everywhere and they have hung in there during this lousy economy. I have to give them credit for that.

If Champions Club fits anyone's price range, they should look at it. Considerations are the height above sea level (if there is any at all) and the build out schedule. Look carefully at their plan model and ask questions. The central part of the existing community is "reserved" for future use and they are building and selling around the edges of that right now. So, you may be surrounded by construction noise for years to come. I can't think of any good reason why they reserved a big chunk of land right in the middle of where they are already building.

The clubhouse was very nice. I don't remember a pool, but maybe they had one.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware