U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 02:22 PM

124 posts, read 237,389 times

Advertisements

Hi Frank (SoMd Neighbor!) I believe they said the Champion's Club pool just opened at the end of last summer. Because the weather last fall was so warm they kept it open till the end of Sept. Don't know about this year. Just got an e-mail today from project manager Ed @ Champion's that they are offering an additional $15,000 in options right now (think you have to write your contract by Nov. 15) and that's in addition to the $25,000 incentive they are currently offering. We, too, thought the "reserving the center parcel of land" was strange. And I'd like a lot in that section! My husband said it looks to be "higher." Agree - if there is any "higher ground" in So. DE. Can't imagine it's too hard to get around there in bad weather. LOL. Regarding future construction all around us, you are probably familiar with my old neighborhood in LaPlata (Clark's Run). We were one of the first houses built on Redwood Circle in 1986 and we did have construction mess/noise all around us for a couple of years. Guess I just got used to it. Could it be that maybe I was younger and more tolerant? Nooooooooooo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Frank (and anyone else who might know) - since you've been following Champion's Club what price increases/decreases have you seen in the past three years? Just wondering what the pricing pattern has been.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:22 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cant wait to retire View Post
Frank (and anyone else who might know) - since you've been following Champion's Club what price increases/decreases have you seen in the past three years? Just wondering what the pricing pattern has been.
The base prices of the Augusta and Broadmoor models (and therefore I assume all the models) have not changed since at least September 2008 (when I started monitoring the prices) and probably even longer.

Of the ones that I monitor, Nobles Pond's base price has gone up $1,000 to $2,000 in that time, and Spring Meadows has gone up $2,000 to $5,000 in that time.

Independence went up in April 2009 and then back down in different amounts, depending on the model. For example, the Monroe went from $294,990 in September 2008 to $299,900 in April 2009 and then back to $289,9000 in June 2009. The months I mention are when I saw the price changes on the website. They might not be exact - but you get the idea.

The ones that have not increased include Roesville, Champions Club and Southern Meadows. I'm not watching Heritage Shores.

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 10-06-2009 at 03:31 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 PM

693 posts, read 2,616,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityWriter View Post
Can't Wait to Retire:

We've been looking at Champion's Club since the time they first started clearing the land and there were no models. That's at least three years, maybe four, so the 27 homes occupied that someone reported doesn't impress us, even considering this economy. We looked at one community in Virginia that had 55 homes occupied or in final stages of completion in January of 2009 and they had only begun building eight months before. The construction manager for Champion's Club told us the community is 13 feet above sea level which is why they now offer basements. But, doing an aerial look on Google Earth shows an altitude above sea level of exactly zero feet. Scan up to the flightline at Dover and you see an altitude of six feet. The rest of the base is at four feet. This still concerns us with Champion's Club and even if we do decide on it there will be no basement.
Frank

Hi Serenity Writier,

Just for clarification, we live adjacent to Champions Club and are in Jonathan's Landing. All of the homes in our development were built with basements included. We have had no problem at all with flooding.

CC opened up three years ago. I remember it well as I couldn't believe how they knocked down all the trees behind our homes in a matter of hours. This is the second summer for the pool and although I think it's closed now, it did remain open well into September while the weather was hot. I believe the County has say into which lots open up and when.

We travel all over and have found new construction to be slow just about everywhere. In our travels, we did however meet up with a couple looking to invest in GA. They were from Fairfax, VA and said the market there was not at all effected by the current economy. Certain areas are more prosperous than others but in general all new construction is slow currently but this will not last forever. Terrific incentives are available now for anyone willing and able to make the move.

McKee has a great rep as a builder and they build a nice home. So far, as a neighboring community, I can see that they are doing a nice job. I have only one complaint... sure wish they didn't have all the street lighting they do. It is something Kent County does in new developments and it seems to me that all that energy is unnecessary especially on lots that are unoccupied. That's an issue for the Green Living forum though.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 PM

To: PA

Thanks for the great "neighborly" insight about CC! Good to know that you have dry basements.

To: Charley

Thanks for some history of the pricing at CC!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:01 PM

46 posts, read 97,392 times
My wife and I spent time visiting Champions, Heritage Shores and Spring Meadow this weekend. Champions is an excellent community in many ways. Nice clubhouse and much better than others have reported, a very flexible builder who will customize to suite, and decent property. He builds nine foot basements - unreal. Lot of storage. We both like it. The Dover AFB effect on the area is significant but not unacceptable. The planes go over Champions and other neighborhood nearby. Some are tankers or supply planes and some are single engine jets. Most people have become inurred to the noise. It does not seem to be a problem for most residents.

Heritage Shores of Bridgeville is very impressive. High quality, great floor plans, beautiful property with a resident Arthur Hills designed golf course. Huge modern and beautiful clubhouse. Prices are, of course, depressed and lots are available. House may be built as quickly at 120 days. HOA is $220/mo, taxes range from $2000-3000. You mow your own grass and take care of shoveling snow. They have more residents than other communities. We walked into brunch on Sunday and met half a dozen very friendly people who I would describe as obiously professionals We were told that almost 1/3 of the residents are from Maryland, 1/3 from N Jersey and 1/3 from N York. I was surprised there were few residents from south of Delaware. Several reisidents are military and government retirees. No surprise.

We are very happy with Heritage Shores and are seriously considering building there as soon as we sell our house. I know it is far from some things. We don't care. We want to be away from things. It's a 3 1/2 drive to the edge of NY City (using a right roads at the right time of day).

Spring Meadow in Smyrna was a disappointment. We had a salesman who needs to learn how to sell. He didn't make us like it. No real problems and they have a lot to offer. But not our cup of tea. Someone else might like it.

Very disappointed that route 13 has been turned into a parade of cars stopping constantly for lights. The state needs better transportation and as the population is obviously going to grow as people find out abut the advantgages more changes will be made.

Stay aware from the Racarenas but Dover Downs Hotel had a $79 a night special that is worthwhile and it is a very nice place to stay.

This coming weekend we will go to Roesville and any other communities we can locate in and around Dover.If you have any suggestions please let us know. A large clubhouse is a must for us.

We live in Rockland County NY, have a home for sale and hope to move in 2010. Meanwhile we will do considerable research to determine the best options for our new home. Any suggestions are appreciated.

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 10-06-2009, 10:14 PM

4,132 posts, read 13,315,365 times
Thanks for all your info, drnorman. Am particularly interested in Roesville (as are others here) and would appreciate your comments and observations when you return. Am a little hesitant about the clubhouse situation and also that so few homes have been sold (although I realize that the economy is not good) but we'd like some activities to look forward to and people to get to know. Without doubt, the homes are lovely.

As of now, I don't see our getting back to DE for a while (prob. not til Jan. at least) but would definitely be interested in joining a get together when one is arranged (am probably posting this in the wrong section but I think everyone's reading the same threads <G>).

Old 10-07-2009, 06:14 AM

60 posts, read 177,238 times
Can't Wait to Retire:

We've been looking at Champion's Club since the time they first started clearing the land and there were no models. That's at least three years, maybe four, so the 27 homes occupied that someone reported doesn't impress us, even considering this economy. We looked at one community in Virginia that had 55 homes occupied or in final stages of completion in January of 2009 and they had only begun building eight months before. The construction manager for Champion's Club told us the community is 13 feet above sea level which is why they now offer basements. But, doing an aerial look on Google Earth shows an altitude above sea level of exactly zero feet. Scan up to the flightline at Dover and you see an altitude of six feet. The rest of the base is at four feet. This still concerns us with Champion's Club and even if we do decide on it there will be no basement.
Frank

When we looked at CC, there was a sump pump in the basement of the finished model. I live on top of a mountain in West Orange, NJ and have 2 sump pumps in my basement!!

Old 10-09-2009, 05:47 PM

We're going back to Champions' Club Monday to look specifically at lots that are available and we have them pricing out some options we would be interested in (basement, crawl space, 9' ceilings, full 2-car garage vs. oversized 1-car, etc.). Now that we've had about 10 days to reflect since our last visit we just want to see it all again. Also you have all spoken so highly of Roesville we are going to start our day there. They (Roesville sales staff) are going to be open on the Columbus Day holiday but only till 2:30 pm then they have to go to a corporate meeting in preparation for a home show they're doing the following weekend. I'm very familiar with K. Hov. They have done some building in our marketplace and I know they are a very well respected company. So we'll see what we see!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:10 AM

388 posts, read 853,321 times
Looking forward to your report after your return visit to CC and your opinions of Roesville. We also were very impressed with CC - floor plans, adaptability of the builder, the 9' ceilings (tall husband ), screened porch, etc. Debbie and Ed were more amiable than other community representatives we encountered - meaning they had answers to our questions, both good and bad, without hesitation. Noise from the AFB is a non-issue for us, hubby more concerned about the possiblity of flooding in such a flat area. Enjoy your weekend in DE, hope you have good weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware