U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 07:00 PM

124 posts, read 237,389 times

Advertisements

W*O*W everbody - thanks for all the great chatter today! Is anyone else retired military and planning to use (or already using) the medical services @ Dover AFB? We'd love to have some scoop; we currently use TriCare but go to civiliain docs and are trying to figure out the least expensive route to go but still insure good medical care. Both hubby and I have some (not serious) medical conditions that require consistent monitoring. We can always come back to MD for dr. appts. if we need to. The trip last night was 2 1/2 hrs. (w/o pulling our 5th wheel we saved 1/2 hr. driving time). Guess we'll really have to strategically plan our summer trips so we can avoid Bay Bridge weekend backups. I have "bridge phobia" anyway if I'm driving. Guess I'll have to work on conquering that if we move to DE. Anxious to get our option price quotes from CC to see how we want to proceed. I'm really concerned about our flooring costs.....we want wood in the great room and dura-ceramic in foyer, back hall, kitchen and sunroom. Neither are cheap and these will be a significant upgrade. So we'll have to see. I'm a firm believer in when you're building a new home if it's at all possible you should get what you want when you build. Can't tell you how many of my clients go w/builder grade carpet, countertops, cabinetry, etc. and say at settlement "we'll live with the builder grade stuff for a few years and then upgrade." When they call me to sell their house 5-10 years later, guess what? Most of them still have the original builder grade stuff! So a few extra $$$ during construction will make you love your house more and you won't have to think about upgrading later. I don't know about any of you, but I've lived through so much carpet changing, interior painting, bathroom upgrades, etc. over the years I DON'T want to do any of that in retirement. I'm too old to wash dishes in the bathtub!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:42 PM

46 posts, read 97,392 times
Flooring, a great topic. We want hard wood floors throughout. We were told that instead of paying McKee to upgrade, we would be better off hiring our own firm to lay the floor. I am having trouble believing that McKee would let us bring in our own contractor during construction. So, I'll assume we have to take ownership before we can have carpet removed and replaced with hardwood floors. I'm looking for a constructive solution to solve this problem inexpensively (well, less expensively).

Old 10-13-2009, 09:13 PM

124 posts, read 237,389 times
Hi drnorman,

Ed @ CC told us that you CANNOT bring in another contractor during construction so you're right you'll have to wait till you settle to put in your wood floors. That seems like such a waste, doesn't it? So far I haven't loved any of McKees wood samples. We have heart of pine floors thoughout our home and I'm not sure I can be happy with wood floors that have a "shine"! But I guess if we get to the selections point I'll just have to try to find a wood choice that is acceptable. They're gonna have to get my dura-ceramic though or it's no deal for us! Can't believe Diane (CC's design person) had never heard of dura-ceramic. It's very popular in our marketplace and has been for several years. I've had a headache for a week. Too many decisions, things to think through and SOoooo much stuff to have to sort and dispose of. Wish I could just wave a magic wand and just be moved in!

Old 10-13-2009, 10:17 PM

Well, Ed would know. He has a wealth of experience and I found talking to him to be very educational. I am impressed at how knowledgeable and professional he is, especially in comparison to some other individuals who work as sales reps at other communities. I strongly recommend Ed at Champions as someone whom all of us can learn from in this continuing education of ours. I have no idea about dura-ceramic but I will now find out about it. Thanks for that information.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 AM

"One small correction on the taxes. At age 65, you'll get a reduction of up to $500 on the school portion of your real estate taxes. It's still a great deal compared to what you're paying now."

Actually the tax structure which applies to a house in Spring Arbor, Middletown, DE may offer three separate tax deductions for seniors. First is the state's $500 exemption. Second is the town of Middletown's $250 exemption. Third is one from New Castle County which varies and has several stipulations including income, assessed value of the house, etc. In talking with New Castle's Assessment Office, I had the distinct impression that changes may be coming on Jan 1st for the way they tax senior citizens over age 65 but I don't know that for sure.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnorman View Post
Actually the tax structure which applies to a house in Spring Arbor, Middletown, DE may offer three separate tax deductions for seniors. First is the state's $500 exemption. Second is the town of Middletown's $250 exemption. Third is one from New Castle County which varies and has several stipulations including income, assessed value of the house, etc. In talking with New Castle's Assessment Office, I had the distinct impression that changes may be coming on Jan 1st for the way they tax senior citizens over age 65 but I don't know that for sure.
Interesting. I didn't know about the additional exemptions. Thanks!

You can tell I've been concentrating on Kent County.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:41 AM

135 posts, read 266,270 times
Has anyone fully researched the noise levels from Dover AFB at CC or the elevation levels? After reading all of the postings thinking of taking a second look there. Was thinking of Nassau Grove but the propane heat issue scares me...the sales guy at Independence told me it's 40% more than natural gas . Thanks.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:51 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
Has anyone fully researched the noise levels from Dover AFB at CC or the elevation levels? After reading all of the postings thinking of taking a second look there. Was thinking of Nassau Grove but the propane heat issue scares me...the sales guy at Independence told me it's 40% more than natural gas . Thanks.
You can check out elevation levels anywhere in the world using this tool: Topocoding API - An example with Google map

My wife and I plan to give Champions Club another look as well. I'm just not getting a good feeling about Roesville since Kathy's departure. I'll be meeting with Rich on November 16, and I have lots of questions!

Old 10-14-2009, 07:58 AM

135 posts, read 266,270 times
Chaley, we will all look forward to your report. Have a safe trip!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:19 AM

144 posts, read 325,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
You can check out elevation levels anywhere in the world using this tool: Topocoding API - An example with Google map

My wife and I plan to give Champions Club another look as well. I'm just not getting a good feeling about Roesville since Kathy's departure. I'll be meeting with Rich on November 16, and I have lots of questions!
Hi Charley, I look forward to your input on the Champions Club and also your update after meeting with Rich at Roesville, of course after your visit with him in November. All of this information has been so wonderful and greatly appreciated by all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware