U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 08:21 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,974,247 times

Advertisements

Thanks Susie and DeeD. My son and I will only be in town for one night, but I expect to be able to see Roesville (and have a nice little chat with Rich) and Champions Club. I'll post a full report when I return.

Then my wife and I will be back again at the end of December so we can have lunch with Elizamary and her hubby ... and anyone else who might join us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 AM

388 posts, read 849,692 times
re: the noise levels from Dover AFB: in my notes I have something from an earlier posting where someone listed the 3 flight paths for Dover, those being over Kitts Hummock, Magnolia, and Frederica. As to how often which path is used and consequently how often you are bothered by it is an unknown. We were at CC for one full afternoon and one full morning and we only noticed 3 flights total (not very scientific, I know). Wasn't bothered by the noise - we are under a flight path for Brunswick NAS where we currently live so after a while we don't even notice it. I suggest sitting out in CC's parking lot for awhile after a visit and see what your tolerance level is. Better to find out now before signing on the little dotted line.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:54 AM

13,320 posts, read 20,101,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnorman View Post
My wife and I spent time visiting Champions, Heritage Shores and Spring Meadow this weekend. Champions is an excellent community in many ways. Nice clubhouse and much better than others have reported, a very flexible builder who will customize to suite, and decent property. He builds nine foot basements - unreal. Lot of storage. We both like it. The Dover AFB effect on the area is significant but not unacceptable. The planes go over Champions and other neighborhood nearby. Some are tankers or supply planes and some are single engine jets. Most people have become inurred to the noise. It does not seem to be a problem for most residents.

Heritage Shores of Bridgeville is very impressive. High quality, great floor plans, beautiful property with a resident Arthur Hills designed golf course. Huge modern and beautiful clubhouse. Prices are, of course, depressed and lots are available. House may be built as quickly at 120 days. HOA is $220/mo, taxes range from $2000-3000. You mow your own grass and take care of shoveling snow. They have more residents than other communities. We walked into brunch on Sunday and met half a dozen very friendly people who I would describe as obiously professionals We were told that almost 1/3 of the residents are from Maryland, 1/3 from N Jersey and 1/3 from N York. I was surprised there were few residents from south of Delaware. Several reisidents are military and government retirees. No surprise.

We are very happy with Heritage Shores and are seriously considering building there as soon as we sell our house. I know it is far from some things. We don't care. We want to be away from things. It's a 3 1/2 drive to the edge of NY City (using a right roads at the right time of day).

Spring Meadow in Smyrna was a disappointment. We had a salesman who needs to learn how to sell. He didn't make us like it. No real problems and they have a lot to offer. But not our cup of tea. Someone else might like it.

Very disappointed that route 13 has been turned into a parade of cars stopping constantly for lights. The state needs better transportation and as the population is obviously going to grow as people find out abut the advantgages more changes will be made.

Stay aware from the Racarenas but Dover Downs Hotel had a $79 a night special that is worthwhile and it is a very nice place to stay.

This coming weekend we will go to Roesville and any other communities we can locate in and around Dover.If you have any suggestions please let us know. A large clubhouse is a must for us.

We live in Rockland County NY, have a home for sale and hope to move in 2010. Meanwhile we will do considerable research to determine the best options for our new home. Any suggestions are appreciated.

[+] Rate this post positively
drnorman..Those floor plans in Heritage Shores look great. Can't believe I liked so many of them. The pools, and that golf course!.........fantastic.
Well, That would be one of the places I'd take my hubby.....he sees a golf course and then.......he'll take "any" house. LOL.......
That Champions Club looks quite nice too........Everyone is making great choices. So glad all the information is out there.
The clubhouse at CC is gorgeous, isn't it?

Last edited by Summering; 10-14-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Everyone is making great choices. So glad all the information is out there.
This group has been wonderful about sharing information ... and it's certainly helpful that we're able to confirm things with each other since there is so much information!

Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 PM

New sales rep starts at Roesville tomorrow. Her name is Tammy. Rich says, "Tammy lives locally, but has also spent some time out of the state of Delaware which I think is good. She is new to our company, but not new to the industry and comes highly regarded."

I look forward to meeting her when I go down next month. Maybe her presence will be the spark they need to jump start things there.

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 10-14-2009 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Additional information provided by Rich.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:08 PM

144 posts, read 325,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Thanks Susie and DeeD. My son and I will only be in town for one night, but I expect to be able to see Roesville (and have a nice little chat with Rich) and Champions Club. I'll post a full report when I return.

Then my wife and I will be back again at the end of December so we can have lunch with Elizamary and her hubby ... and anyone else who might join us.

Hi Charley, You're welcome, and if you ever do the luncheon again in the spring, or summer we would be delighted to meet with you all.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:04 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,544,203 times
New here... glad to see this is an active and current discussion. I plan on retiring to the southern part of Delaware by 2014 ( presently live in PA). I visted Nobel's Pond last year when I first started looking at 55+ communities in DE.
There are a few things I have not seen in the discussions that are very important to me. I am single with no family on the East Coast that I could call upon in an emergency. It is very important that where ever I move living space must be all on one level, wheel chair accessible, near a bus route and that stores/doctors offices etc. be close by so that when I can no longer drive - I can still get arround. I presently help out older members of my church family and I have seen how cut off they are once they can no longer drive and the problems they face when they can no longer climb stairs, do yard work etc.

In August I spent a few days in Lewes DE. Fell in love with the flat country side. I could walk 5 to 10 miles a day with ease. Also very bike friendly. Near the bay and the ocean.

I also had an opportunity to visit The Vineyards at Nassau Valley just outside of Lewes (which is not a 55+ community). It is to be an 82 acre small town with stores & offices at ground level and 900 condos on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th levels. The first building is due to be completed next Spring. The sales rep even arranged for me to meet one of the Schell brothers and he gave me a guided tour of the building which is now under construction.

This may not be a 55+ community - but, it seems ideal for people who want to retire to the southern DE area. The prices range from $165k for a single bedroom condo up to $529K for a large condo with a lake view. There are several 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo styles in the $215k - $235K that would meet my needs and fit my budget. ( I plan to sell my house and use the proceeds to buy for cash.) The condo fees are based on square footage and would run about $200 per month for the units I am considering.

I presently own a 3 bedroom house and had not considered condo living until I saw the design of this new community. Has anyone else visited their web site to see the proposed layout of this community? If I could retire in two years I would have put down a preconstruction deposit on a unit. Since I can't retire until the end of 2013 it looks like I will have to wait about 18 - 24 months and look at the next phase that will be ready for preconstruction deposits and ready to occupy in late 2013.

The main drawback of the 55+ communites I have researched thus far has always been what happens if you can no longer drive. The Vineyards at Nassua Valley seems to be a viable alternative and addresses this issue.

I would be interested in knowing if others have the same concerns - and if you have found any 55+ communites that address this issue.

Mary2014

Old 10-16-2009, 07:35 PM

388 posts, read 849,692 times
Mary 2014 - you bring up some very thoughtful points. As for single level living, I believe you will find that in all 55+ communities - those with a loft or second floor are more or less for company or storage, as the main living is all on the ground floor.

The concern about what do you do when you no longer drive - and that is very important to you as you will not be the "typical" retired couple and could rely on your mate. Yes, bus routes and easy access to shopping and hospitals are worth noting and should be asked of the sales rep. This is another pro for 55+ communities in general, the ability to hopefully bond with good neighbors and develop friendships so that if you need a drive in a pinch, someone will be there for you.

When you mentioned that you were a single person, it made me think of my recent visit to Champions Club in Magnolia where I was told 2 houses were going up for single people. I smiled when I heard this because, of course!, there ARE single people out there, not just the smiling couple they always show in the brochure.

Mary, this is a wonderful board and I know you will receive lots of info and advice. We are all in the same boat together, looking for the best spot in DE for us. Those on the board who are already residents of the state will give you their first hand knowledge of any area you are interested in. There are many and varied threads on active adult living in the state and you will find much to mull over! Good luck!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:55 AM

Welcome Mary2014. Early planning is the key to success is making the move. I started a few years ago and have learned quite a bit about Delaware. I will be moving in sometime between 2011 and 2013 depending on a number of factors that are just too boring to mention.

Be sure to continue to ask questions. Some of us have the answers ... and for some of us, it just means there is more for us to learn.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:44 AM

1,222 posts, read 1,544,203 times
[quote=little eggplant;11223191]The concern about what do you do when you no longer drive - and that is very important to you as you will not be the "typical" retired couple and could rely on your mate. [quote]

Little eggplant,

Thank you for your reply. My "church family" I try to assist when a need arises. In helping others I have learned a lot about the problems associated with getting older. Most, want to remain independent for as long as possible and would prefer not to ask for assistance unless absolutely necessary. That is why even though I am healthy now, I want to find a place that I can still live in when health issues become a concern.

While most retirees will start off as a typical retired couple, sooner or later something happens to one spouse and the other spouse may need to plan on "living single" for an extended period of time.

I love the area south of Dover and the Lewes area in particular. So far the only major drawback is the lack of jobs in the area. I need to work full time for the next four years and may consider doing some part time accounting work after I retire. Lots of part time work for accountants available where I live now. With all of the small seasonal businesses in the Lewes area there may be a need I can fill.

The 55+ communities I have looked at thus far are usually one level living, but, may need modifications for wheel chair accessibility. One or two front steps to access the house are not a problem when you can walk but do become a problem when you need a wheel chair. I would rather address these concerns when I am buying a home and not need to do modifications after living there a few years.

The biggest problem for many senior members of my church has been when it is time to stop driving. PA has hills so walking any distance can be a problem. Everything requires driving several miles to get to anything and there is no bus system to get to the grocery stores, doctors offices etc.

What surprised me about The Vineyards at Nassua Valley is that it seems to address these concerns and they actually have units in a price range I can afford. Even though it is not designated as a 55+ community I can see that it would be an attractive alternative for many who plan to retire in DE.

I will be spending a week in the Lewes area next summer so that I can take the opportunity to really get to know the area and explore all the alternatives.

Mary2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware