U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 10:52 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,557,983 times

Advertisements

DeeD -

Thanks for your reply to my post. Spring Arbor looks like it is a little out of my price range. The only way my monthly Social Security is going to cover my monthly expenses is to buy a place for cash and have no monthly mortgage. By the time you deduct for the costs of selling one home and buying another that puts me in the $200 to $235K range. I have an IRA and 401K - but, the plan is to live off my monthly social security and not touch the 401K or IRA except for unplanned/ unusual expenses (of whcih there are always a few).

Serenity Writer -

Thanks for the information on utility costs. 15,000 gallons per quarter seems to be rather high usage to me (mine is 4,000 - 5,000 per qtr) but, I have always been very carefull with water comsumption. You may find that your water usage drops in new construction if your current house is more than 20 yrs old. I know I saw a substantial change when I updated my bathrooms with low flow toilets about 6 years ago. If I end up going the condo route in Lewes, DE I will no longer have any outside watering and that should drop my water consumption even further.

Since Champions Club and other 55+ communites already have residents, perhaps someone can ask a resident to share their actual costs averaged out by month for trash,fire hydrent, sewer, water(Access + cost per 1000 gallons), electric, heating fuel and HOA fees. This would probably make a good hand out by the management of these 55+ communites so you know what is included in HOA or your county taxes and what comes to the home owner as a monthly or quarterly bill.

I do appreciate this board because it is helping me get a good handle on the monthly expenses of living in DE vs PA.

Mary2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 07:08 PM

144 posts, read 325,771 times
You're Welcome Mary2014. There are so many things to take into consideration, upon deciding which community is best for our own individual needs. The board is wonderful to help with this decision process. We all learn so much from each other and it helps to narrow down the search.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 PM

124 posts, read 237,351 times
We are going back to Champions Club again on Monday and I'll see if I can connect with anyone who can share utility costs with us. We need to look at the available lots again.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:07 AM

4 posts, read 8,997 times
Default Hello

Good morning to all. I joined this forum a couple of weeks ago and have read this thread from start to finish. Great reading over a nice long period, so I was able to see how responses and folks impressions evolved. There is a lot of information here.

Our story is that we are, as most here have indicated, planning to retire from expensive central NJ and looking at Delaware. We are in our early sixties and probably want to be out of here within the next 2 to 4 years. We're not sure if a 55+ community is what we want, but based upon all we've read so far, Delaware looks to be much more affordable and a milder weather pattern. So the information here has been invaluable in setting up our search.

I do have one question that I have not seen mentioned here and it pertains to solar installations on these new homes. Given that doing the installation on a new house is by far the easiest and probably cheapest, a properly sized installation can offer the homeowner pretty much free electricity all year. And while senior couples don't use anywhere near what a large family does, no electric bill is a nice savings.

Dan

Old 10-25-2009, 10:58 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,557,983 times
Dogo88,

The only DE 55+ community web site that I can find that references solar energy as an option is Schell Brother's Independence. Perhaps it is available in other 55+ communities - but, the only thing I see on the other web sites is a reference to energy efficient appliances.

Mary2014

Old 10-25-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Dogo88,

The only DE 55+ community web site that I can find that references solar energy as an option is Schell Brother's Independence. Perhaps it is available in other 55+ communities - but, the only thing I see on the other web sites is a reference to energy efficient appliances.

Mary2014
Thanks Mary I'll check them out.

Dan

Old 10-26-2009, 09:45 AM

14 posts, read 47,764 times
Also take a look at Longacre Village, south of Dover on 13. They'll build with solar panels and are also using an insulated concrete wall that'll reduce energy costs by half or more.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT in DE View Post
Also take a look at Longacre Village, south of Dover on 13. They'll build with solar panels and are also using an insulated concrete wall that'll reduce energy costs by half or more.
Thanks

Old 10-26-2009, 02:18 PM

35 posts, read 92,665 times
Default Solar and 55+ Communities

Dogo88 asked about solar in 55+ communities. We have looked at communities from NY to SC for four years and never found one that allowed solar. I did see a reply where someone mentioned Longacre Village. We have not looked there. Getting off the grid or at least reducing our electricity purchases is important to us, but does not seem important in 55+ communities. I suspect it is an aesthetic thing for the most part. When we last asked at Champions Club (more than a year ago) the answer was no. Same answer from J Hovnanian, K Hovnanian, Ryan, Del Webb, and a number of other large and small builders. Many use energy reducing construction methods, but no solar. I guess we're stuck with doing our part with our hybrid. Hey, we've loved 47.9 MPG average for the last two years while traveling thousands of miles to look at communities.

It's interesting that Dogo88 is leaving central NJ because it is too expensive at the same time we are beginning to pull away from searching DE and concentrating on central NJ. We think we know the sub $400,000 55+ market on the east coast fairly well after four years of searching. We generally don't look at any community starting above $300,000 and we skip some based on location, neighboring communities, etc. Strange as it may seem, the least expensive 55+ communities on the east coast are in central NJ with taxes under $3000 in some cases. On the other hand, there are plenty of over $400,000 communities in all states with taxes aproaching $9000 in some cases. Of course, we can't discuss NJ on this board.

Frank

Old 10-26-2009, 02:21 PM

35 posts, read 92,665 times
Default Longacre village

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT in DE View Post
Does anyone know much about this community? We ran across it a couple of years ago I think, but didn't look because of price and lack of information. Googling the name does not produce a community website, but does produce links to builders and real estate agents who provide no concrete information and ask you to contact them for information. I prefer new home communities with on-site sales staff rather than dealing through agents.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware