U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 01:00 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,986,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
What kind of monthly fees are quoted for other 55+ communities in DE?
Roesville is currently $95/mo. and will be $106 when the clubhouse opens. (I imagine that by the time the clubhouse opens, those amounts will rise.)

Southern Meadows is (or was) $365/mo. but Elizamary can correct me. (That includes Land Lease)

Champions Club is $190/mo.

Heritage Shores is $220/mo.

Spring Arbor is $163/mo.

Independence is $295/mo.

Spring Meadows was $165/mo but that is older information and it could now be different.

Wild Meadows was $400/mo but that is also older information and could be different. (Wild Meadows is Land Lease)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 01:28 PM

693 posts, read 2,615,819 times
All I know is...when I lived in PA, I lived in a condo and we paid condo fees. We had a two story end unit and we owned the land. Our taxes were based on the purchase price. Our condo fees were the same no mater how large the lot surrounding the homes and the fees covered outside maintenance/insurance, trash , snow removal, maintenance of the roads and common grounds, and our pool and rec facilities. In the 7 years we lived there, our taxes went from $2900 per year to $3800 , our condo fees increased from $99 to $145. per month. The increase in fees was justified though because the initial $99 was subsidized by the builder but was not enough to sustain our expenses when the builder was done in the development.

Bottom line, all communities are set up differently, know what the fees include and be mindful that in new construction, builders make fees attractive but are not always realistic when associations are turned over to the homeowners.

Living now in DE, we have peace of mind that we can afford our home without the fear of being taxed beyond our budget. Our taxes now on a single home are $1650 per year and have not increased in 3 1/2 years. It's a great feeling.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:13 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,556,314 times
From PA,

The Vineyards at Nassau Valley are condo's and the builder has a 200 yr land lease. What is unique about this development is that it will be an 82 acre mini town. First floor will be retail stores and offices, second and third floors will be various size condos in a price range from $165k to $529K.

Since the fees are based on square footage the retail and office space will probably pick up 50% of the costs to maintain the community and the 920 condos will probably cover the other 50%. So in this particular case condo monthly fees also cover land lease costs.

I believe the builder will lease the retail stores and offices - so I expect the builder to continue to have an ownership interest in the development even after it is completed.

I one thing I am learning is that each community is unique and developing a standard check list of items to ask about should help me to compare apples to apples.

Charlie -

thanks for the list of fees for various communities.

I will be considering various options in DE which are south of Dover - and there seem to be quite a variety to choose from. I plan to spend a week in DE in late Spring. By then, the first building at the Vineyards at Nassau Valley will be occupied and I can get a much better feel for this development.

Mary2014

Old 10-31-2009, 08:46 PM

284 posts, read 600,445 times
I'm jumping in in the middle of this thread, so forgive me if I repeat something.
When you're considering HOA fees, ask how much they've increased over the years and if the owners have any input into the budget process.
We moved into a 55+ active living community (in Arizona) two months ago. If you told me a year ago we would be moving here I would have laughed, but we love it. I recently heard it described as a small village and that's true. Everyone we've met has been friendly and we can be as active as we like. We live in a single home after two years in a condo, which my husband HATED, and he is very happy puttering in the yard.
Yes, the summers are bearable - consider Arizona!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:39 PM

4,130 posts, read 13,303,291 times
Good input, MarianR, we're open to everything so feel free to jump in (and anyone else) w/ any tips or advice. An HOA will be a new experience for us so the more we're aware of, the better. If AZ wasnt so darn far from the east coast, we might be tempted (a friend from NY moved there a couple years ago and loves it). W/ the hassle of flying these days, it's nice to be able to be a day's drive from your previous location (assuming you're planning on returning to visit occasionally). Also, as we age and have various medical needs, personally we'd like to be fairly close to a decent hospital/s which is another consideration (as we are now, there's several in the area). Decent shopping is good too but we really want to be near a good medical facility so we're still keeping our options open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianR View Post
I'm jumping in in the middle of this thread, so forgive me if I repeat something.
When you're considering HOA fees, ask how much they've increased over the years and if the owners have any input into the budget process.
We moved into a 55+ active living community (in Arizona) two months ago. If you told me a year ago we would be moving here I would have laughed, but we love it. I recently heard it described as a small village and that's true. Everyone we've met has been friendly and we can be as active as we like. We live in a single home after two years in a condo, which my husband HATED, and he is very happy puttering in the yard.
Yes, the summers are bearable - consider Arizona!

Old 10-31-2009, 10:15 PM

284 posts, read 600,445 times
Well, Banner Baywood Hospital with the Heart Center is across the street and Banner Desert Hospital is two miles from the south gate of our community. Our dentist here is far better (and less expensive) than any dentist we went to in Ohio, and there is a choice of primary care physicians. Property taxes are half of what they were in Ohio and less than were quoted on here for New Jersey/Delaware, but it costs a lot more to register a car than it did in Ohio.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:06 AM

Wow, sounds like you have a great location! Low taxes are def. a perk too but coming from NJ, anywhere's gotta be lower, LOL. Was out that way once, yrs ago and we liked it a lot, I just wish it wasnt so darn far. It definitely pays to look at the 'big picture' though. Thx again for all the good info.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:15 AM

135 posts, read 266,190 times
This may be a little off subject but, for anyone visiting Roesville, plan on having lunch at Meding & Son Seafood. It's about 5 minutes from Roesville ...they have a seafood club sandwich (shrimp and crabcake) that is unbelievable. Also, mom's cream of crab soup (this is a family restaurant). In the front of the restaurant they sell fresh seafood. You're gonna love it!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 PM

40 posts, read 72,008 times
Anyone else been to Roesville lately? Last time I was there in early September there was only about 8 homes built out of 440 planned. There was no pool or clubhouse and I was looking at about three years of cement trucks, carpenters, roofers and bulldozers. Noise and dust. Loved the homes but that is a deterrent. Has anyone priced a home there? Just wondering. They're asking me to pay full price for the home and all the upgrades and I just don't think it's worth it. Maybe if there were 150 homes occupied and the clubhouse was open. Where do I go next?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:46 PM

A lot of us like Roesville, the homes are beautiful. Do a search for Roesville on the forum and you'll find some more info (buttons are on the right, I think, "Search This Thread"). While the economy is bad, the few homes built and the lack of a clubhouse/pool aren't good signs IMO. Moving to a new state and knowing very few people (if any), we hope to make friends and find a community with various activities, clubs etc.

Yes, ongoing construction is a deterrent but certain things can be overlooked in favor of the 'big picture'. Unfortunately, no one has a crystal ball to know the time frame (completion dates).

Did you talk to any of the residents when you visited? Their opinions may give you an indication as to your next step. Have you looked / are you considering looking anywhere else?

THere's a lot of good info and sharing on this forum, it's been very helpful for those of us who havent been able to visit often (yet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware