U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 09:47 PM

40 posts, read 72,020 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have looked at many 55+ communities. I'm now considering non 55+ or possibly South Jersey. In S. Jersey the taxes are higher but the houses are cheaper. Plus I'll be near Atlantic City, Ocean City and Cape May. We also had a Real Estate agent in Delaware last year. I'm going to check with her for resales. I'll also dig deeper into this forum. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:31 AM

60 posts, read 177,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaJoe View Post
Yes, I have looked at many 55+ communities. I'm now considering non 55+ or possibly South Jersey. In S. Jersey the taxes are higher but the houses are cheaper. Plus I'll be near Atlantic City, Ocean City and Cape May. We also had a Real Estate agent in Delaware last year. I'm going to check with her for resales. I'll also dig deeper into this forum. Thanks
I'm heading down South Jersey this week. We'll be looking at Barnegat area (Exit 67 off the Parkway). We may possibly go with a resale, as they seem to be a bit cheaper and I can always add my own touches, plus the fact that you know the clubhouse is already built and the pool is open. We haven't ruled DE out yet, though. It's still in the running, as is PA.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:33 PM

284 posts, read 600,635 times
A completed community with resales available is a good idea. We bought a condo conversion before all the units had been sold. We were given to believe that the condos would be owner occupied. Then the housing market tanked, prices dropped, lots of units bought and rented out, renters didn't care about looks of property, picking up after dog, keeping pool clean, etc. etc. We're selling at a loss but much happier where we are now! I would definitely recommend established communities rather than ones still being built. You can tell what the community is like, who knows how long it will take community to sell out in this economy. Plus lots of sales contracts for new communities prohibit resales until community is sold out.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:12 PM

46 posts, read 97,378 times
We are buying a Lowell carriage house in Spring Arbor, Middletown, DE which was under construction when we saw it.The house will be completed by Dec 29. We have ordered flooring, cabinets, lighting, etc. Maryellen is the sales person - super!. We are ordering furniture from a Dover store (JJ) and Michelle Sartin there is terrific. We are ordering appliances from L.... in Middletown - Rich who knows his stuff. Anyhow, this has obviously moved quickly. We've been to most of the developing plus 55 communities in DE (where they still have a sales office on the property). We were at Champions yesterday looking at how their decorators set up the rooms - they are very busy. Ed is the man!

Middletown is clearly in the middle of awkward growth, traffic issues on route 299, possible routing of a 301 bypass near one side of Spring Arbor and a million other potential and continuing issues. However, in our opinions, they are all worth putting up with given the quality of life available, including a terrific house. Now, the one thing I am increasingly alarmed about is the pattern of driving required by the way highways and busy local roads and intersections are built. I have driven in most parts of the US and I'm used to round abouts and all of the other solutions used to speed up traffic. Delaware however has taken traffic control to a new and very dangerous level. The cutting across lanes of traffic with no traffic controls should not be allowed. But it particularly should never ever be required by the people who are paid to keep us safe and that is what is happening with the too many of the roads in and around Middletown. I do not understand why this is happening but the design is certainly going to kill off many of our citizens unnecessarily. I have been driving cars, trucks, tractors, payloaders, buses, vans, etc. for fifty-eight years over mountains and very difficult terrain. DE is the scariest place I have ever driven outside of Austria in the mountains and Tokyo at 3:00 AM. Older people (and I mean me) should be required to take a driving exam every year. The DE roads are not for the faint of heart. If they had these roads in FL, there would be so many accidents, it would be a scandel. I don't get it. Somebody has the wrong idea about road design safety in DE. If any of you know the reasons for this stuff, please tell me. I'm all ears.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:38 PM

4,130 posts, read 13,307,278 times
Congrats, drnorman, on your new home, it sounds lovely, how nice for you. Many years ago we drove on the autobahns in Germany and Austria - unfamiliar w/ the roundabouts in FL but have heard about them and the drivers there - hadnt realized it may be challenging in DE too - will have to keep that in mind - right now we just need a place to hang our hats, LOL (well, not right now but hopefully sooner rather than later).

Anyway, thx for the great update, keep in touch and best of luck to you

Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 PM

40 posts, read 72,020 times
Sounds like good advice, thanks. Of course buying resales you don't get to pick your options so you have to settle. You can always repaint but you can't just gut a three or four year old kitchen or bath because you don't like the cabinets. But we will start looking and we may get lucky. Sounds like it worked out well for you. Thanks for talking.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:37 AM

124 posts, read 237,334 times
drnorman - Congratulations on your new retirement home! Doesn't it feel good to have the decision made so you can move forward with your planning? We're going to Champions Club again this Saturday and I think this time we're going to be writing our contract. Just waiting on some final estimates to put the whole package together to see what the final price will be (that is before our selections process which I'm sure will bump the price up even more!) We're beginning the huge process of getting our house in MD ready to go on the market in early March. So much to do, get rid of, etc. But we have a big family and want to have one last Christmas in this awesome house we have been priviliged to be the "custodians of" for the past seven years! I put up over 40 Christmas trees and I'm starting my Christmas decorating this week. Needless to say after Christmas I'm going to have to deal with getting rid of LOTS of Christmas decor. Can't fit 40 decorated trees into 1300 sq. ft. (unfortunately!). Will you be moving into Spring Arbor right after you settle or do you have a house to get rid of? LOL

Old 11-03-2009, 04:59 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,987,266 times
Drnorman - Congratulations!

As a fellow Rocklander, I'm surprised to hear your comments about the traffic - although you are certainly correct about the awkward growth in Middletown. I wonder if the driving style you've experienced in specific to New Castle County. I have found that the driving styles in Kent County are far more courteous than I've experienced in Rockland.

Sounds like you'll be in and settled around the first of the year. Best wishes to you - and please keep in touch with us and let us know how you're doing and how the Middletown area and Spring Arbor are progressing.

By the way - the Lowell is a beautiful model and if my wife and I were to choose Spring Arbor - that's the model we'd choose too!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:22 AM

135 posts, read 266,219 times
drnorman, congratulations! Could I ask why you chose Spring Arbor over Champions Club? My friend at Odessa National said one of their neighbors has sold their home there and is moving to Champions Club. They got tired of waiting for the club/pool to open. Sounds like CC is on the radar screen!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:48 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,987,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
drnorman, congratulations! Could I ask why you chose Spring Arbor over Champions Club? My friend at Odessa National said one of their neighbors has sold their home there and is moving to Champions Club. They got tired of waiting for the club/pool to open. Sounds like CC is on the radar screen!
Champions Club is definitely on the radar screen and when I meet with the folks at Roesville in two weeks, I intend to make sure they realize what the lack of a clubhouse and pool is doing to their potential sales. I think they need to hear these anecdotal stories, like your friend at Odessa National.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware