U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 06:32 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,560,082 times

Advertisements

Good morning and Congratualtions Dorman.........This is truly an exciting time.

Traffic here doesn't bother me........a lot of the back road don't have much. LOL!!
What bothers me is the long long looooooooong red lights.
Parts of Kent county remind me of the 50's and are very rural. We happen to like that.

As honeycrisp state.....there may be changes as the growth progesses in DE. If the economy ever straightens out, a lot of communities will be finished construction and more and more people will be moving to DE.

Good luck Napa Joe with south jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 AM

60 posts, read 177,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaJoe View Post
Sounds like good advice, thanks. Of course buying resales you don't get to pick your options so you have to settle. You can always repaint but you can't just gut a three or four year old kitchen or bath because you don't like the cabinets. But we will start looking and we may get lucky. Sounds like it worked out well for you. Thanks for talking.
Most of the communities we've looked at have nice kitchens and baths to start with. I would probably replace things like counters and possibly floors, if they have vinyl, in the kitchen. Also, possibly a new vanity in the bathroom if needed. A good coat of paint also goes a long way to changing the look of a house. We're tending to look at houses that already have most of what we want, such as the 42" kitchen cabinets, hardwood flooring, sunroom (which is a must, as I love sunlight). A deck is a nice addition but not required. A fireplace also is nice, but not absolutely necessary. We figure if we can get a nice house at a decent price; we're willing to put some money into it to make it "ours". Also, when we look at the models; so many of them have the big designer upgrades and that also equates to big money. So what you see, is not what you get!!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:45 PM

46 posts, read 97,365 times
"Could I ask why you chose Spring Arbor over Champions Club? My friend at Odessa National said one of their neighbors has sold their home there and is moving to Champions Club. They got tired of waiting for the club/pool to open. Sounds like CC is on the radar screen!"

We love Ed and Debra at Champions. We love the homes. We simply wanted to be closer to NY City for a shorter commute to see the kids. Spring Arbor is somewhat closer to the kids, closer to trains if we don't want to drive, etc. There is little to no risk in buying into a McKee community in my opinion. They have hung in during a tough time when many other builders have either left DE or had major problems.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:28 PM

46 posts, read 97,365 times
"As a fellow Rocklander, I'm surprised to hear your comments about the traffic - although you are certainly correct about the awkward growth in Middletown. I wonder if the driving style you've experienced in specific to New Castle County. I have found that the driving styles in Kent County are far more courteous than I've experienced in Rockland."

My problem is not with drivers in Delaware. My problem is the road designs. In the Middletown area, some newly updated or rebuilt or new roads have curbs that require you, for example, in the southbound lane to cut across or enter the northbound lane of traffic and make what amount are U-turns. Now, this would not be a serious problem in your neighborhood but when cars are going fifty-five miles an hour in a retail section or on the way to a retail section of town, I can tell you that some people will look both ways, attempt to drive across the lanes and get killed by the car they didn't see. We have lights and stop signs for this stuff. The state transportation department folks are leaving it up to drivers to be competent. Not a chance.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:15 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,986,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnorman View Post
My problem is not with drivers in Delaware. My problem is the road designs.
Aaahhh. Thanks for clarifying. I inderstand.

That does not seem to be a problem right now in Kent County, but as expansion continues, you never know what could happen in other parts of the state.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 AM

144 posts, read 325,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnorman View Post
"Could I ask why you chose Spring Arbor over Champions Club? My friend at Odessa National said one of their neighbors has sold their home there and is moving to Champions Club. They got tired of waiting for the club/pool to open. Sounds like CC is on the radar screen!"

We love Ed and Debra at Champions. We love the homes. We simply wanted to be closer to NY City for a shorter commute to see the kids. Spring Arbor is somewhat closer to the kids, closer to trains if we don't want to drive, etc. There is little to no risk in buying into a McKee community in my opinion. They have hung in during a tough time when many other builders have either left DE or had major problems.

Hi drnorman, I just wanted to jump in here and make a comment regarding your question. At Spring Arbor the clubhouse is built and open, but the pool is an outdoor one, which is seasonal.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianR View Post
A completed community with resales available is a good idea. We bought a condo conversion before all the units had been sold. We were given to believe that the condos would be owner occupied. Then the housing market tanked, prices dropped, lots of units bought and rented out, renters didn't care about looks of property, picking up after dog, keeping pool clean, etc. etc. We're selling at a loss but much happier where we are now! I would definitely recommend established communities rather than ones still being built. You can tell what the community is like, who knows how long it will take community to sell out in this economy. Plus lots of sales contracts for new communities prohibit resales until community is sold out.
Hi MarianR, Thanks for reminding us all, about what CAN POSSIBLY, happen when renters come into a community. It gives us food for thought!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:34 AM

drnorman, I am happy to hear about your decision. It is not an easy one, but I think you made a great choice, regarding your model and choosing Spring Arbor!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 PM

40 posts, read 72,008 times
[quote=Charley;11460004]Champions Club is definitely on the radar screen and when I meet with the folks at Roesville in two weeks, I intend to make sure they realize what the lack of a clubhouse and pool is doing to their potential sales. I think they need to hear these anecdotal stories, like your friend at Odessa National.[/quote

I met with the Rich Shakarjian, the Director of Sales at Roesville about six weeks ago. He said he is working on getting owners a membership to a health club in lieu of the pool and clubhouse. That just doesn't work for me. I want to meet my neighbors at the Clubhouse.

My wife and I really liked the Canterbury. Nice house and a decent price. (base price $280K) We would have already bought it but the options, upgrades and fees put us over $350K. If he would have helped us with some of the options we would have had a deal. Not to be. Let me know how you do.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:50 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,986,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaJoe View Post
Let me know how you do.
I promise a full report upon my return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware