U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 17,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant wait to retire View Post
Steve, I lUV "the sounds of freedom!" We live directly between Andrews AFB and Patuxent River Naval Air Station so we're used to lots of airplane and chopper noise. We also live on a very, very busy road that I thought I'd never be able to tolerate. After a few days we didn't even notice airplane or car noise......strange isn't it? The only time we ever even comment on the traffic is when there are lots of emergency sirens or when we're sitting on the porch and the Southern Maryland good ole boys are out revving up the their bikes (my husband is one of the bikers when his motorcycle is running!) On all our visits to CC I've only heard the planes once (yes they were loud but only for a couple of minutes). We've camped at the Dover AFB FamCamp which is literally a stone's throw from the runway......now you can really hear the planes there! But like I said at the beginning of this post I'm grateful to hear "the sounds of freedom!" God Bless the USA!!
Thanks for your input. I am ex Naval Air ( Helicopters) and have to agree with your "sounds of freedom" pretty much hits it. We will give it some more thought.
Thanks Again,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 PM

693 posts, read 2,612,249 times
Hi Steve, I've lived in Jonathan's Landing almost 4 years now. Some days the planes don't fly at all. Then there are times they do touch and go maneuvers throughout the day but this is rare. The only helicopters I've seen were in conjunction with the President's visit. Then I knew something official was up. I really believe that the occasional car that drives by in front of our home makes more noise that the planes which fly closer to Route 1 and not directly over the homes in CC and JL. I still get a thrill watching them .

Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 AM

135 posts, read 265,874 times
My husband and I were at CC on Tuesday to sign our purchase agreement (YEA!!!!) and I thought the sight of the planes flying into Dover was majestic. The planes are enormous but the noise was very muted.
We stayed with the Doral model with a sunporch addition as our choice and are looking forward to a June 1 settlement.
For all those who are still undecided (as we were for 2 years), we chose CC because of McKee's reputation; proximity to Dover; clubhouse/pool open; homes are not on a slab but have a crawlspace; natural gas availability (not propane). Also, we have found Ed and Deb very accomodating.
I have found this site to be enormously helpful in our decision. Thanks to all who contribute. Will keep everyone up to date.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:03 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,974,247 times
Congratulations Susie. You've made a wonderful choice.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 AM

137 posts, read 281,868 times
Default "Sounds of Freedom"

Hi folks,

I haven't posted in awhile, but still follow this thread ardently as I have subscribed to it.

As the mom of one of those "sounds of freedom" pilots, I appreciate the fact that there are few complaints about the jet noise over CC and JL. Every time I see one of those C-17s or C-5s I think about the crews and the famillies represented. Some of them will be deployed for weeks or months at a time. Yes, "sounds of freedom." I like that. We have lived on or near bases with fighter jets coming and going. Now that is noisy, but we got used to it. As a young adult I lived across the river from Washington National (Reagan national) airport in Crystal City back in the late 60s. We got used to that, too.

For those wondering, we took our house off the market for the winter while we are away. It's been three years now we have been trying to sell it, even lowering the price three times. This last time we were offering it for less than we bought it 12 years ago. Selling a non-foreclosure, non-short-sale house in southeast Michigan is pretty tough. I suppose if we wanted to give it away, we could do that. One of these days we'll get to move to Delaware. In the meantime, I keep checking out the 55+ communities south of Dover when I visit to see how things are progressing. I'll be back the end of January again.

I'm adding my thanks to all of you who have done so much research and posted ideas of what to ask and look for. You have added so much to this discussion.

Jonalyn

Old 12-04-2009, 08:01 AM

693 posts, read 2,612,249 times
Hi Jonalyn and nice to hear from you again. Do let us know when you are back to DE for a visit. Would love to meet with you. Take care.

And susieC congrats to you on your new purchase. Even though I don't live in Champions Club, we're just a stones throw away and we love to welcome new folks here.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:42 AM

388 posts, read 849,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
My husband and I were at CC on Tuesday to sign our purchase agreement (YEA!!!!).
susieC - Congrats!! Do you feel a wave of relief pouring over you? We too like the Doral for the 3 BRs and separate guest area. Do you mind mentioning which street you are on? Congrats again!!

Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 AM

144 posts, read 325,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
My husband and I were at CC on Tuesday to sign our purchase agreement (YEA!!!!) and I thought the sight of the planes flying into Dover was majestic. The planes are enormous but the noise was very muted.
We stayed with the Doral model with a sunporch addition as our choice and are looking forward to a June 1 settlement.
For all those who are still undecided (as we were for 2 years), we chose CC because of McKee's reputation; proximity to Dover; clubhouse/pool open; homes are not on a slab but have a crawlspace; natural gas availability (not propane). Also, we have found Ed and Deb very accomodating.
I have found this site to be enormously helpful in our decision. Thanks to all who contribute. Will keep everyone up to date.
Hi Susie, I think that you made a great decision. I am excited for you. Congratulations!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 01:47 PM

124 posts, read 237,035 times
Hi susieC (and my soon-to-be neighbor)! Congratulations on getting your contract completed. Next will be the selections process. I'd love to know what street you're on! We'll be on Sahalee. Are you selling a home somewhere prior to your move to CC next summer? Time goes so quickly these days......June 1 will be here before you know it!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:49 PM

35 posts, read 92,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Van Der Meer View Post
Thanks for your input. I am ex Naval Air ( Helicopters) and have to agree with your "sounds of freedom" pretty much hits it. We will give it some more thought.
Thanks Again,
Steve
Like someone said (Eliza Mary maybe, I get lost on this very prolific forum) everyone tolerates noise differently. We live about 26 miles due south of Washington about a half-mile to a mile west of the main flight path for Andrews. We also get planes circling for Reagon National and several military helo pilots live in our neighborhood and have developed the habit of flying around the neighborhood at low altitude for reasons I don't understand. We looked hard at Champion's Club, but rejected it for several reasons, primarily because it was too close to Dover. I retired from the Air Force a few years ago, and for me, the days of living on or near a base are over. After many years of living on TAC and SAC bases (when those commands still existed) and putting up with 24-hour flying ops, we said enough is enough. A B-1 flamed out over our base neighborhood in Germany and barely made it back to the runway. At the same base, a C-5 crashed less than a mile from our house, killing all on board, but no one on the ground. In Maine, on several occasions, B-52s flew low over our base house desperately trying (always successful, thankfully) to get back to the runway with an emergency. Because of those experiences, the proximity of CC to Dover was a hard sell for us.

Everyone has to evaluate the factors that are important to them, though. Many ex-military want to be near a base, so Dover would be a draw. For us, it is not important. In fact, we recently realized my wife's military ID card had expired a couple of years ago. Even living this close to Andrews and Bolling, we almost never go there. I fully understand, though, why some would want to live near Dover and I think I know enough about Dover to believe that noise would not be a constant factor there. There's a lot of traffic through Dover, but it is not constant like it is at some bases.

Regards, Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware