U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 PM

40 posts, read 72,054 times

Advertisements

I was all set to dress up the front of the house with some stone to address the curb appeal problem but the price of a whole house fan and venting the stove outside cost a lot more than I had figured. I was also expanding my garage out the side but canceled that due to cost. I also canceled the garage storage area and front door upgrade. I'm still at my budget limit. As someone else on this thread once said, I'll end up where I belong.

So your husband has more than one bike? What kind of bikes and what kind of truck won't fit in the garage? I'll let you both know what happens.

good night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 04:38 AM

135 posts, read 266,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaJoe View Post
I was all set to dress up the front of the house with some stone to address the curb appeal problem but the price of a whole house fan and venting the stove outside cost a lot more than I had figured. I was also expanding my garage out the side but canceled that due to cost. I also canceled the garage storage area and front door upgrade. I'm still at my budget limit. As someone else on this thread once said, I'll end up where I belong.

So your husband has more than one bike? What kind of bikes and what kind of truck won't fit in the garage? I'll let you both know what happens.

good night
We too started out with a stone front...that went by the wayside quick! We did opt for a gas line in the kitchen as I prefer a gas stove (a mere $750!). We go back today to finish our flooring selections. Our lot is on the same street as the clubhouse (at the end near the golf course). We chose it because there is a lot of space in the back to the next housing development. There will be no one across the street (it's a berm containing a drainage area) and it's near the clubhouse. We did opt for the storage room over the garage (with the full staircase)...with no basement we felt we had to have somewhere to "expand".
Can't Wait..I'll report on your dirt movement!

Old 01-12-2010, 04:03 PM

124 posts, read 237,430 times
My hubby says I need to correct what I said about his truck (a Ford F250) not fitting in the 2-car garage. He says (now!) that he meant that his truck won't fit because he's going to have his two motorcycles (a BMW 1200 LTC and a Honda 350) in the garage. We'll see about that!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:23 PM

12,617 posts, read 28,116,817 times
Hey guys, let's move the chat stuff to the off topic chat thread, okay? The Official Off-Topic Delaware Chat Thread

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 PM

40 posts, read 72,054 times
Understood,sorry.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 PM

124 posts, read 237,430 times
Sorry, also, I didn't realize chatting wasn't allowed! I'm guilty of not having read the rules.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:53 PM

12,617 posts, read 28,116,817 times
Chatting is fine, but if people are looking to this thread for info about retirement communities it would be better if they can find that information easily. The chat thread is a great place to get to know each other and talk about this and that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:31 PM

17 posts, read 32,383 times
Just found this forum and am getting a kick out of the tone of the entries...you all sound like people that my husband and I hope to meet when we move to Delaware. We're in NJ, in the heart of the adult communities that were mentioned previously...our community has half of its population over 60! After 35 years of complaining about 'their' driving and chatting in the middle of the grocery aisle, we are looking forward to ticking off the next generation in the same way :-)

But, on serious note...Charley, while you are considering the CC....their HOA fees are twice that of Roesville, and always will be. Yes, they mulch...but Roesville irrigates. And yes, they have the clubhouse, you got me there. We were torn between the two communities, weighing in our priorities, and found Roesville gave us more house and features than CC as part of their standard build out. We worked the numbers with both agents, adding soaking tub, cabinet and counter upgrades, etc. and found them to be about $1000 difference on the bottom line (and that was with the CC incentive of 35K). Admittedly, the lot at CC was more desirable as we would have been able to back into tree line, whereas Roesville doesn't and the lot is slightly smaller...but, while sitting in that delicious (and optional) sunroom that would have been MY office we counted six planes in a 20 minute frame. They looked like they would like to come into the great window facing me. While a person can get used to just about anything, these days having planes that frequent and that close overhead are unnerving...and it turned us off. Very glad we went back a second time because this was my husband's number one choice! The location is not an easy access for visitors, whereas Roesville is. This was also key for us.

At Roesville, the storage over the garage was definitely a huge selling feature, unless we were willing to pay out for a basement (that can collect as much stuff as we think we can't live without!). Watching my husband, who is in good health, trying to straighten himself out after a two hour ride back to NJ, sealed the deal. Who needs a crawl space at this age (CC)...we aren't even in our 60s yet and it would be a pain in the back...can't imagine doing it at 75!

After all, I have to keep him in good shape so I can get him on the lake at KillansPond and outta my hair!!! Another wonderful perk for the location...we thought we would have to go to the Poconos for him to get his number one item on his wish list. Two minutes away, how great is that?!

The floorplan at the Ridgedale was perfect, with bedrooms OPPOSITE sides of the house. In the event my very senior mom needs to live with us, this was an absolute!

OK, so no clubhouse yet...what I can say is that the Hovnanian (family) Builders made their name in NJ and have an excellent reputation. Supposedly, this is their first project in Delaware...adult communities are their specialty, they know what we (modern retirees) want and are positioned to give it us. The fact that their name is on this, is enough for us. While we may not commit today or this month, we are definitely setting our hopes on this being the right choice. I like the idea of being in on the ground floor of the build, and being one of the 'earlier' residents welcoming others. And, when the clubhouse is finally built...I will be an even happier camper.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:19 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,990,996 times
Quote:
Just found this forum ...
Welcome to the 55+ thread, Takin'theplunge! It sounds like you've made your decision. Congratulations. It's not an easy one, given all the issues and options available. It sounds like you'll be very happy at Roesville.

Since you addressed a few comments to me, I thought I'd take a moment to share some of my thoughts on the issues. We've made no official decision, but are heavily leaning toward Champions Club. It doesn't mean that one is better than the other. It means for us, Champions Club seems to be a better fit.

Quote:
Charley, while you are considering the CC....their HOA fees are twice that of Roesville, and always will be.
Let's start here. CC with clubhouse $190. Roesville with clubhouse $106. So not exactly twice, but close enough. CC has an exterior maintenance plan where they do everything outside the house, including any repairs to the exterior, removal of leaves from the gutters, painting if needed, roof repair if needed, driveway sealing, total lawn care (except for watering), etc. As I get older and am less able to do some of that work myself, that's quite an advantage. If I never have to climb a ladder again, it will be too soon.

The $190, is more in line with the other "fee simple" (own your own land) 55+ communities. Roesville is well under, but remember that these are only starting numbers. As the HOAs actually form and control their own budgets, those numbers will change based on the leadership of the HOAs and needs of each community. So I would not make the determination that the current relationships between the numbers will always stay the same.

Quote:
Roesville gave us more house and features than CC as part of their standard build out.
We compared the Mayfair at Roesville with the Augusta at Champions Club. The square footage is different by about 12 square feet which was not significant. The features matched up very well except the hobby area in the laundry room, the internet center and the third bedroom at Roesville. We can compensate for the third bedroom by adding a mini sunroom onto the Augusta. The internet and hobby areas were nice, but did not really factor, for us. The storage over the garage is excellent. We think that for our lifestyle, we'll be able to fit everything into the Augusta without needing the overhead space.

Quote:
We counted six planes in a 20 minute frame.
You were probably there on a training day and it may have been the same plane. We've watched the plane landings from a friends home at Jonathan's Landing, adjacent to Champions Club. This is purely a matter of taste, but I love watching them! I think that those giant planes floating into the AFB is a magnificent sight. By the way, the actual flight path is over a quarter mile away and is only deceptive because of the size and proximity of the planes. For my wife and I, this is not an issue.

Quote:
The location is not an easy access for visitors, whereas Roesville is. This was also key for us.
Champions is right off Route 1. Access was very easy for us. Did you come in through State Street? That's the other way in.

Quote:
OK, so no clubhouse yet
This for me is an annoying issue. Hovnanian sent out a series of two surveys to those on the mailing list when they first got started. The clubhouse was a major desire by those who completed and returned those surveys, as I did. The fact that there will be no clubhouse until, at best, July 4, 2011 - if market conditions are favorable enough to warrant building it - is unacceptable. I've not only told them, but I've brought the comments from many members who post here, and some who don't - along with the knowledge that some who chose to buy elsewhere did so because of the lack of a clubhouse. Had they learned the lessons of other builders and built the clubhouse first, they would certainly have more homeowners now than they currently have.

Quote:
they know what we (modern retirees) want and are positioned to give it us.
Positioned? Perhaps. Willing? Not yet.

They did bring a construction trailer onto the grounds in mid-December with some card tables, pool tables, fitness equipment and a few other things that will serve as a temporary facility until the clubhouse is built. They "hope" to have it open by the end of January. I'm not sure why it would take six weeks to accomplish this. Seems to me like something you could do in a day or two. (Didn't Hovnanian build an "Extreme Makeover" house in seven days?)

Further, there is no discussion at all about the outdoor pool. When they finally build the clubhouse, they will probably build the indoor pool, but there is no discussion yet about the outdoor pool.

Both communities, when finished, will be very nice, hopefully filled with happy folks who made choices that were best for them. For you, that choice seems to be Roesville. It was for us too for a while. But in the final analysis, it appears that Champions Club might be the best fit for us. I hope that one of these days, when you and your husband, and my wife and I, sit down over a cup of coffee to meet and share our experiences, we are both happy with whatever choices we finally made.

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 01-13-2010 at 04:19 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 AM

388 posts, read 853,475 times
Default Roesville survey.....

Did anyone else receive the email from Roesville with the attached survey? I received mine last evening around 8PM and when I opened it, saw this message: Thank you for being willing to participate in our survey. We have reached the end date of this survey at this time. No further action is required of you.

Now, this email was only moments old and it already was expired?? Very odd. I actually have 2 email addresses and the message was the same at both locales. I am curious if anyone else who is on Roesville's mailing list received the survey and was able to complete it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware