U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 05:57 PM

124 posts, read 237,430 times

Advertisements

Debbie @ Champions Club braved the snow today to send us lots of pics of our house which is now framed and under roof! How fantastic is that? She says she'll be sending us pictures on a regular basis. I wanted to think we were getting "special treatment" but she says she does that for every home buyer. She also mentioned they had two more sales this week. Hubby and I were SO excited getting the first view of our new home that we've spent all afternoon studying every detail of each photo. The decorator floor plans to scale that I've spent hours setting up (measuring each piece of our furniture and getting it sized exactly to scale to the new house) pretty much immediately went in the trash. Now that I can "see" the rooms I realize that the layouts I had pictured in my mind and put down on paper were not going to work (sorry, guys, guess this is just kind of a girly hobby!). So now I'm starting over with my designs but loving every minute of it! I've never heard of a builder providing a home purchaser with photos during their construction process. This rates McKee high on my customer satisfaction scale!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 06:19 PM

7,363 posts, read 10,803,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cant wait to retire View Post
Debbie @ Champions Club braved the snow today to send us lots of pics of our house which is now framed and under roof! How fantastic is that?
I can sense your excitement CWTR, and am so happy for you! You've started experiencing the friendliness of the State, already! Builder's reps send stage photos quite often to their prospective homeowners, as I've heard. And, the market is moving right along. Glad you got the Champions Club lot of your choice before it was gone!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:57 AM

135 posts, read 266,294 times
Can't Wait..when is your settlement date? Your're right...I've never heard of a builder sending pics while a home is under construction. We go Tuesday for our first meeting with Jeff, the project manager. Got lots of snow yesterday...about 5". Wish is was June!

Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,990,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
We go Tuesday for our first meeting with Jeff, the project manager. Got lots of snow yesterday...about 5". Wish is was June!
SusieC - Have a safe trip on Tuesday and enjoy your meeting with Jeff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant wait to retire View Post
So now I'm starting over with my designs but loving every minute of it! I've never heard of a builder providing a home purchaser with photos during their construction process. This rates McKee high on my customer satisfaction scale!
Can't Wait - Marlene and I have been doing this "in our heads" for a while now and look forward to doing it "in scale". We've already started to consider what pieces of furniture won't make the trip.

One interesting note is that there will be less wall space in our Augusta than we currently have. We have a lot of items hanging on our walls (pictures and shelves) for which there will be no room, so some items will have to be given away (FreeShare) or donated where possible. We became active FreeShare folks when breaking up my mother's home a few years ago and we'll continue to offer items to others.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:06 PM

17 posts, read 32,383 times
Charley,
Don't you be giving away any wall decor yet! Great prints and paintings work well on easels, or as space dividers (back to back). If it is something you LOVE, trust me...take it with you and if necessary, rotate them to your delight!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:26 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,990,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takin'theplunge! View Post
Charley,
Don't you be giving away any wall decor yet! Great prints and paintings work well on easels, or as space dividers (back to back). If it is something you LOVE, trust me...take it with you and if necessary, rotate them to your delight!
Some of the items we have in the house have no real emotional or sentimental value for us and can go to people who would be happy to receive them.

For us, part of the 55+ experience is "right-sizing" into the next phase of life which includes adjusting our "stuff" appropriately. Smaller state, smaller house, smaller lot, smaller inventory, but larger circle of friends.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 AM

35 posts, read 92,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takin'theplunge! View Post
Charley,
Obviously we all have to take what we want and get rid of the rest, but as an artist, I agree with takintheplunge. I'm an author by trade now, but stumbled into photography while taking pictures for my book covers. I've had a half-dozen small gallery showes and several photos have now won awards and I can't let anything go. I have a gallery wall in my home office where I just hang a couple of dozen of the best photos and then rotate them out around the house every few months, as takintheplunge suggests. I also do stained glass art and none of my work fits well in any window here, but everything will fit in the windows of the new home. That's a plus.

Bad art is just bad art and is better off at the Salvation Army store. Good art, in my opinion, helps lift the spirit and encourage us on the days when the view through the window is kind of gray. I even know one artist / photographer who hangs her extra works in closets and then rotates them out. I think that's a little extreme, but it works for her!

I say keep the art and get rid of that chair that no one ever wants to sit in -- you know, the one that was forced on you by Aunt Fanny or Grandma Cadwallader who expected you to keep it forever, the one that sat in their "parlor" for fifty years as a home to a succession of shedding cats -- it's the one we all try to hide somewhere. That's a great candidate for Salvation Army.

Frank

Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 AM

Thanks Frank, fellow artist...no wonder we think like this!

Now, for the next question:
After making the decision to move, retire to one of these communities...how are you coping with the emotion involved? I was doing fine, very focused and optimistic...until my husband did a flip flop and is wrestling with selling our home of 35 years, even though this delivers #1 on his wishlist: to be right down the street from great fishing!

Old 02-06-2010, 06:21 AM

135 posts, read 266,294 times
Takin...we've all been there, trust me. These decisions are not made lightly..in most cases it's years before signing on the dotted line. Are we feeling nostalgic for the home and neighborhood we've loved for the past 28 years? Of course, but the question to ask is "do we want to be here doing the same thing (minus working) year after year"? Our answer was no, we wanted a new adventure, and a resort style lifestyle near the beach.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:38 AM

Thanks SusieC...for a minute I thought the whole forum shut down with depression!!!!
Happy to note: the day the realtor tapped the sign into our front lawn, I anticipated my husband going off the deep end. No, instead he was elated. Just when you think you've got someone figured out, they surprise you.
We are of the same mind as you...we are more than ready for a new adventure! We have always done the responsible thing and put everyone else's needs before our own. It will be cool to re-invent who we are as a couple. As beautiful as our home is, the next will be just as beautiful. As fantastic as it is to have a core of close friends, we will keep and add to them, new ones...that stretch us as individuals. It is a wonderful prospect and I am so happy to have our health, each other and the wherewithall to do it!

Thanks for the encouragement...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware