Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 05:11 PM

699 posts, read 2,884,924 times

Advertisements

Land lease or fee simple is only relative to your bottom line. Figure out how much you have to spend on a monthly or annual basis and then you will know which option is best for you. You may have found a property in Lancaster County that fulfills your needs but you may be able to get more for your buck if you own the land in DE as taxes are so much less here. Of course, if you love the rolling hills in Lancaster County you will find the terrain completely the opposite in DE but just as magnificent in other ways and a lot easier to get around in the winter months.

Most communities here are in a holding pattern awaiting the return of the resale market so you should be able to negotiate a great deal now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 08:11 PM
RWH

145 posts, read 87,413 times
Cant wait to retire, I don't know what you consider as lower end so it will be difficult to suggest communities to meet your requirements. I would strongly suggest you visit Roesville. I'm another one who has been there and likes what I have seen. It is not land lease and is in the beginning stages of being developed which I think will mean the best values to be be had there are in the immediate future. After it gets more developed and populated I suspect the prices of the houses will increase. This will give you a chance to see compare land lease communities with fee simple. This is the only way you will be able to determine which is the best for you. Take your time when visiting communities that appeal to you. I would even suggest looking at those you think you would not like. The more you see the better to determine what the "must haves", "would like to have" and "don't wants" are so the best decision can be made. The bottom line is that you have to determine what is best for you.

There are also nice communities around the area that are not 55+.

Oh, I forgot one more important item - have fun looking at the communities.

Hey, Charlie and Elizamary, do you have room for two more at the Eaterie? Not making any promises at this point but we're talking about it.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:32 AM

124 posts, read 262,490 times
Thanks for the comments thus far. "Low end" for us is under $200,000. We realize that that will probably mean a manufactured home which I'm fine with but my husband is desperately hoping that we can afford a home with a basement for some of the "stuff" he probably won't be able to part with! We're leaving a home on 6 ac. with two two-car garages plus two sheds. So we've got LOTS of "sizing-down" to do!

Old 09-13-2009, 04:26 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,005,959 times
... and Plan B begins.

My wife and I are both very surprised that in a community where the salesperson was released due to missing the sales target, the sales director who is now covering the community will not respond to my emails - even if only a quick "Got your email and will get back to you once I settle in". So, we've started to collect info on some of the newer models we had not seen at the 55+ communities we've already visited. There are two new models at Heritage Shores that merit a look and I'm interested in seeing Spring Meadows again (wife is not that interested.) I may even be interested in visiting Independence to take a look.

I think given our travels around Delaware, our preference for many reasons remains Kent County. It's in Kent where we feel most "at home" and we like the idea of being central to all parts of the state.

We have not eliminated Plan A - but we're both quite disappointed in the failure to respond.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:03 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,628,589 times
Hertiage Shores is a very nice community. Friends of our friends live there and really love it.
There is a nice golf course if you golf, restauants on the premise
The only complaint is ........too far to shop. They come up to dover because of the larger selection of stores.
I"m sure in time the area will be built up with different shops.

I wouldn't eliminate plan A just yet. He just took over......his focus is probably on keeping his sales going which means immediate customers.
Must be a lot of stress in that job with the market the way it is. I was disappointed to hear of kathys departure.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
There is a nice golf course if you golf, restauants on the premise. The only complaint is ........too far to shop. They come up to dover because of the larger selection of stores.
It's also a very large community of 1,800 homes. The town I'm in right now doesn't have 1,800 homes ... lol. It might just be too large for me.

I have not played golf in many years, but still have my clubs. It is way too far to shop (there's not much around in that area) and also too far from Kent General. I really would prefer Kent County, but I think we're going to give it a look anyway.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:15 AM

It is a large community.........almost like a little city. I'm sure they folks get around by golf carts.

As far as shopping........my guess is in time they will be adding more stores to the area.

Now the hospital........have you checked Beebee in lewes......not sure how far that is from HS.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
It is a large community.........almost like a little city. I'm sure they folks get around by golf carts.

As far as shopping........my guess is in time they will be adding more stores to the area.

Now the hospital........have you checked Beebee in lewes......not sure how far that is from HS.
I have. Kent General is rated better and now with my former colleague from New York in a position of responsibility at Kent, if she can do half of what she did in New York, Kent is going to be the place for me!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 AM

Well there are many communities to choose from. the other thing I would be concerned about as to when they will be the clubhouse and pool.
These days......that would have to already be in place for me to consider moving there.

There is so much to consider.....but there is a house out there in a community that will fit you and marlene perfectly.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 AM

144 posts, read 359,124 times
Quote:
Well there are many communities to choose from. the other thing I would be concerned about as to when they will be the clubhouse and pool.
These days......that would have to already be in place for me to consider moving there.

There is so much to consider.....but there is a house out there in a community that will fit you and marlene perfectly.
Yes, I agree. The clubhouse and pool should be in place in order to give any consideration to moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware