U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 PM

78 posts, read 368,421 times

Advertisements

Hi, can anyone tell me, besides real estate taxes, what additional taxes and/or fees a homeowner might incur in Delaware.
Thanks.

Last edited by margeaa; 05-10-2010 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 04:59 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,795,103 times
Taxes and fees really aren't too bad in Delaware . There will of course be sewer fees. In many areas trash pickup is homeowners responsibility.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:17 PM

381 posts, read 1,232,212 times
Yep, real estate taxes. Sewer fees. Water bill. Trash (I'm guessing some HOA's may include this in the fees).

Also, when you register your car here you have to pay a tax on it, whether you bought it out of state or not, and whether it's paid off or not. It's better than the annual personal property taxes we had to pay on our cars in VA, though.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 PM

445 posts, read 1,288,280 times
At the time of purchase there is a real estate transfer fee .... check with a Realtor for the exact amount. If I remember correctly it is paid equally by seller and buyer. Regardless it is a fee only paid when buying or selling a home.

1) Real Estate Taxes paid to various taxing agencies are all included on one annual bill, due in Sept.
2) The annual sewer fee is billed each January, based on the your annual water usage the prior year.
3) You also pay a City tax or Homeowners Assoc. fee (or both) each year, based on where you live.

Water and trash are billed by private companies to most homeowners (again dependent on where you live).

Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,325,323 times
You may live somewhere that has neither a city tax nor an HOA fee, like my neighborhood that is in New Castle County, outside city limits and has no HOA. We do collect voluntarily for snow removal as often as the kitty needs replenishing - last Fall we asked for $35 from everyone on our rather long block. In unincorporated county areas you will pay for trash collection and for recycling (the latter operated by the State). I don't find fees and taxes here excessive at all, though I do find utilities a bit on the high side -- however, I have a post-war house that isn't especially well insulated and I don't like to be either chilly or hot indoors. Water only becomes an expense if we have periods of especially low rain and again I do try to keep the lawn and gardens looking well.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:37 PM

7,363 posts, read 10,803,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
At the time of purchase there is a real estate transfer fee .... check with a Realtor for the exact amount. If I remember correctly it is paid equally by seller and buyer. Regardless it is a fee only paid when buying or selling a home.

1) Real Estate Taxes paid to various taxing agencies are all included on one annual bill, due in Sept.
2) The annual sewer fee is billed each January, based on the your annual water usage the prior year.
3) You also pay a City tax or Homeowners Assoc. fee (or both) each year, based on where you live.

Water and trash are billed by private companies to most homeowners (again dependent on where you live).
Delaware Transfer Tax = 3% Buyer and 3% Seller. Most towns also assess transfer tax in addition to the state's tax. Each town has it's own %.

1) In our case, we pay county real estate taxes by September 1st directly to the county, and town taxes directly to the town. Many times, if you have a mortgage, the lender prefers to divide the yearly tax bill into 12 increments and taxes are incorporated within your monthly mortgage payment.
2) We receive our sewer and water bill every 3 months.

3) Some HOA fees are assessed monthly, quarterly, or yearly.

Our trash bill is included in our water and sewer bill.

So bottom line, there are no standard answers.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Delaware Transfer Tax = 3% Buyer and 3% Seller. Most towns also assess transfer tax in addition to the state's tax. Each town has it's own %.
Whoops! Senior Moment(s)
DTT is 1 1/2% Buyer and 1 1/2% Seller, plus town transfer tax, if applicable.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 AM

78 posts, read 368,421 times
Thanks for all the info. My husband and I are considering a move to Delaware from NJ. I'll probably have more questions as we do more research. I've been reading all the threads here......lots of good information! Thanks, again......Marge

Old 05-19-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margeaa View Post
Thanks for all the info. My husband and I are considering a move to Delaware from NJ. I'll probably have more questions as we do more research. I've been reading all the threads here......lots of good information! Thanks, again......Marge
Yes, there's quite a bit of good information here, but some information can be misleading.

I've never lived anywhere else but Delaware, but from what I've read, maybe jurisdictions in other states are set up differently than in Delaware. For instance, some newcomers say they live in, or are moving to (for example) "Harrington" or "Lewes" or "Magnolia". That is so misleading, because the Zip Code for various towns also extends beyond the town limits. So living IN Harrington means exactly that, IN the Town of Harrington, and paying town taxes. Living IN the Town of Magnolia or Town of Lewes, means IN (i.e. Main Street or other).... Not to be confused with living or moving to a subdivision, outside the town limits of a town and having the same Zip Code as a nearby town. People who live in these towns and pay the town taxes really know the difference.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 AM

6 posts, read 11,026 times
No sales tax on anything, 1.5 % transfer tax when buying or selling property, tax when registering an auto, property tax due one time a year but so much cheaper then NJ, many areas have septic and well so no tax in those situations, state income tax,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware