U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,506,030 times

Advertisements

When I was in Delaware I stood on the very spot where the Declaration of independence was read for the very first time. What a feeling, what history. The funny thing was that I was the only person around. People get so used to their own regions that they sometimes fail to celebrate the things that seem exciting to outsiders. One thing that I just love about Delaware is all the colonial history and the old buildings and sites that are all over the place. Like a canonball stuck in the foundation of a building in Lewes from the revolutionary war. Amazing just amazing. We have so little old things still existing here in Ontario. You Yanks burned it all down in the war of 1812 LOL I'm just kidding. But all those old things and places really mean a lot to someone like myself who loves history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 04:58 AM

4,126 posts, read 13,239,012 times
We love the OBX although unfortunately we didn't make it there this year. Most of the time it's not crowded, is fairly quiet and has neat shops, things to do and casual restaurants (also some fast-food ones). We try to find a pet-friendly cottage to rent which works out well. Unfortunately, it's not in DE and is a hike from where we live now.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:04 AM

7,303 posts, read 10,726,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
When I was in Delaware I stood on the very spot where the Declaration of independence was read for the very first time. What a feeling, what history. The funny thing was that I was the only person around. People get so used to their own regions that they sometimes fail to celebrate the things that seem exciting to outsiders. One thing that I just love about Delaware is all the colonial history and the old buildings and sites that are all over the place. Like a canonball stuck in the foundation of a building in Lewes from the revolutionary war. Amazing just amazing. We have so little old things still existing here in Ontario. You Yanks burned it all down in the war of 1812 LOL I'm just kidding. But all those old things and places really mean a lot to someone like myself who loves history.
Hi lucknow! I've been in Delaware my entire life, and I still find new places to go, and things to do. This link I've provided is one of our favorites. The Dover Walking Tour always adds something new and different, and the tour guides dress in colonial garb. This year, they've added the Segway Tours, where you ride on the 2-wheel gadgets for the entire tour. That's one I haven't done yet, and there is an extra charge. Nice for those not wanting to walk long distances. Details on that are in this pdf link, also.
So glad you enjoyed Delaware! Come Back!
http://www.destateparks.com/downloads/programs/FSHP-Summer10.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-31-2010, 08:05 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,750,576 times
From The CapeGazette
Nanticoke Indian Powwow to
feature dances Sept. 11-12
The Men’s Traditional Dance is one of the dances guests might expect to see at the 33rd Annual Nanticoke Indian Powwow to be held Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 11 and 12. The Men’s Traditional Dance simulates the warrior preparing for battle.

Nanticoke Tribe
Part of the Men’s Traditional Dance are the Crow Hop or Sneak-Up dances. The dancer carries an eagle feather fan and a staff, and wears a single bustle, armbands and a roach with a single feather as well as bells on his ankles. He will crouch close to the ground and stand up at different times during the dance. At times during the dance, a drummer uses heavy strokes that depict the sound of gunfire. Read full article
http://www.capegazette.com/storiescu...87-powwow.html

Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,750,576 times
Volunteers step up Battery 519 efforts

Fort Miles group carries on in wake of co-founder's death

LEWES -- After nearly a decade of sporadic work and the death of the group's co-founder, the Fort Miles Historic Association is ramping up its efforts to preserve the region's wartime history.

Battery 519, a World War II-era seaside bunker that once housed two 12-inch diameter guns, is nearing completion, said President Gary Wray.
From The Delaware Coast Press
http://www.delmarvanow.com/section/DCP

Old 09-02-2010, 01:44 PM

7,303 posts, read 10,726,420 times
Default Kent County Fun

First Friday, in the City of Dover. Stroll up and down Loockerman Street. Art, Music, Food, and a very relaxed atmosphere. Very enjoyable!
http://www.downtowndoverpartnership....on_events.html

Old 09-06-2010, 08:47 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,413,392 times
a friend of mine went there and liked it a lot Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve - Home Page

Old 09-10-2010, 04:20 PM

347 posts, read 733,057 times
Can anyone provide info on the Brandywine Art Crafts Fair happening this weekend. What is it, where to park, etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:27 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,413,392 times
started yesterday, but still going on today and tomorrow. If you've never been there, GO, if you have been there, you will be going anyway

Delaware Saengerbund Oktoberfest

I think it's great for families, since it is a 7 dollar entrance fee and all the rides are included.
food and drinks (beer) are alright, they really try hard being authentic

Old 09-18-2010, 06:00 PM

381 posts, read 1,227,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
started yesterday, but still going on today and tomorrow. If you've never been there, GO, if you have been there, you will be going anyway

Delaware Saengerbund Oktoberfest

I think it's great for families, since it is a 7 dollar entrance fee and all the rides are included.
food and drinks (beer) are alright, they really try hard being authentic
Oh, thanks! We're going to head there tomorrow. I hadn't even thought to look into it. We used to love going to Oktoberfest in Richmond, and this one looks a lot bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or