U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,807 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm a newly placed Dover resident starting graduate school here in the Fall. I have six weeks to find an apartment, but I am having the hardest time. I'm from Nashville, TN so as you can imagine, I don't see much snow. That's the main reason for me wanting to be in Dover instead of a Wilmington or Philadelphia. The commutes seem rather long, so it's probably best that way. Anywho, a couple of questions: What are some of the better apartments in the area? I've seen online reviews on a couple but they are all honestly very bad and I'm hoping I get some better advice on here. Does DART run pretty smoothly in the winter? I have a car but I prefer to not drive in the snow if I can help it. Also, one of the apartments I saw, Woodmill, looked very nice but the utilities included heat and gas! Is that the norm in Dover? I'm living off a graduate student salary so it's not much. Any help you can give would be much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 10:10 PM

23 posts, read 58,404 times
I would avoid woodmill. I know someone who lived there and she said that it had a lot of issues. Noisy and the police being called a lot. I would go into north dover if I were you or smyrna. Cedar Chase isn't bad but it is behind bob evans and walmart so it's a high traffic area. Cambria Village in Smyrna is newer and really nice. DART runs ok in the winter but I wouldn't rely too much on it in Kent County. It only serves a limited area and depending on where you work you may be in for quite a walk from the bus stop to work. The snow isn't much different in wilmington and philly than it is in kent county actually. we pretty much get the same weather and there have even been a few times where we have gotten more snow down here than they have. But generally most things shut down here if the snow is too bad so you wouldn't have to drive in anything more than a skiff. Not sure about the utilities situation. When I did live in an apartment it was quite a while ago and they were not included in the rent. Just make sure you ask around and check things carefully before you get into a lease. are you going to dsu or wesley? I was going to wilm u. but I took some time off. I'm an undergrad though. good luck!

Old 06-11-2010, 04:41 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,381,418 times
I'm confused -- are you attending Delaware State or UD? If UD, there's not enough difference in weather between Newark and Dover to justify the commuting hassle and expense of living in Dover. If Del State, Dover is absolutely the appropriate place to live.

Last edited by doctorjef; 06-11-2010 at 05:41 AM..

Old 06-11-2010, 05:40 AM

445 posts, read 1,373,926 times
Delaware and Central Tenn. has very similar winter weather. While this past winter may have been an adventure, it was not normal. In the four winters I have been here the total winter snowfall have been 16", 9" and 12" (all these numbers are Northern Delaware; Dover gets less) before we receive last winters staggering 73". I am going back of few years but I remember Nashville annual snowfall being in the 9" -12" range, combined with a couple of ice storms, that seem to happen less here.

Temps here may dip a bit lower for a couple of weeks, but much like Nashville it is rare to have long periods of sub-freezing temps. Much of the winter is brown and grey. I'd suggest you not drastically alerter your decisions based a "bad Delaware winters". They are not that different than Nashville.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,381,418 times
In some respects the winters here are milder than what you get in more southerly climes. For instance in Texas you have overall milder winters but they are punctuated by ice storms and some really bitterly cold sub-freezing temps even as far south as Austin and San Antonio. You don't typically get that in Delaware. The winters are longer and more unremitting here, but don't tend to have the extremes. Even last winter with all its snow didn't have drastically cold temps and certainly no ice storms. Snow plowing on major thoroughfares in DE is pretty good -- certainly better than in PA in my experience. Neighborhood streets may not get plowed, but major streets and highways certainly do and pretty efficiently.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,807 times
Thanks Everyone!

And I'll be attending Delaware State.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:52 PM

23 posts, read 58,404 times
if you are going to del state cedar chase would be ideal! very close! nearly walking distance! and the dartstop is within walking distance! right in front of wal mart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware