Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times

Advertisements

Hello all, please give me advice.

I went in to my Dentist to get a filling on the very back tooth of my lower jaw. It was a white filling (the color of my teeth). Anyway, since the filling my tooth was hurting pretty bad, in fact it was causing pain in the rest of the teeth on my lower jaw. When I touched the tooth it appeared to be much higher than the other teeth on the row. So I went back in and she used a drill to lower the filling/tooth to try to make it more straight with the row (so I wouldn't put too much pressure on it when I chomped down). Anyway, a week went by and every day it still hurt like hell. Kind of a stinging constant pain. Hot and cold liquids didn't affect it. Just a constant stinging pain. So I went back in again! This time she drilled some on the upper tooth above the filling and also drilled some on the filling (she seemed to think I was chomping down on it and that it may not have been straight with my other teeth), so she was trying to get it even with my other teeth. Anyway, it still hurts! I asked her if I need a root canal and she was like-- no you won't need one there.

1. Should I go see another dentist?
2. Anyone experienced this before, or know what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Yeah, see another dentist. Ask around for recommendations. It sounds like the filling wasn't sized properly but only a dentist will know for sure.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Yeah, see another dentist. Ask around for recommendations. It sounds like the filling wasn't sized properly but only a dentist will know for sure.
Yep, another dentist is required to fix this.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 PM

421 posts, read 2,533,675 times
As a dentist I would evaluate the restoration first. High fillings are much like a rock in your shoe, you're hitting the filling first and could be stressing the ligaments around the tooth. So when someone comes in with a toothache I'll sometimes check the persons bite first. You mentioned you didn't have any sensitivity to hot/cold liquids, that's good, that would've been my next question. Composite restorations (white fillings) are nice but they attract sensitivity like you wouldn't believe. If a patient comes back a few weeks later and says "hey doc, that white filling you put in is giving me problems, especially when I drink cold liquids and sweets", it's more than likely an open margin. An open margin is the interface between the restoration and the tooth, something that you really can't see with the naked eye and it's pretty much microscopic, but it's there and its letting in fluids and bacteria. This dentist may have also went too deep with the actual restoration too and that happens quite often. Sometimes if I'm in a tooth and the preparation is very deep, and when I say deep I mean literally right on top of the nerve tissue, I'll lay down some medication first and then put the restoration on top. She may not have done this which is causing the pulp tissue to be irritated. If ever get awakened in the middle of a deep sleep because of a toothache, that's bad news. A toothache shouldn't wake you up, that's a sign of the pulp (nerve) acting up and causing problems. She did the right thing by checking your occlusion (bite) first to see if that alleviated the pain, but at this point I'd have to look at other factors. She may have to go in and take the nerve out of the tooth and start a root canal. I probably perform that procedure at least once, sometimes twice a day where I'll go in and get the nerve out of a tooth and put the patient on antibiotics and pain meds. Hopefully this all helps and you get results.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:38 AM

11 posts, read 27,071 times
In any acse you stay near Anaheim hills, oc then will suggest you to visit Dr.Nazir.....he will guide you as well as treat you on this....this is his website Anaheim Hills Dental Center, Cosmetic Dentist, Orange County CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health