U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 05:01 PM

55 posts, read 220,270 times

Advertisements

My wife has had gum disease for about 20 years and must have her teeth removed. She had them removed and an upper denture put in today(8-5-10) she has very little pain and some swelling.
The problem is when she drinks water or eats (soup or eggs) she says that she can't swallow. The dentist told her to be patient and you will get use to them, but she is getting kind of down on herself to say the least.
I try to tell her that you have to give it some time and it will be okay but she does'nt seem to listen.
So if anyone has gone thru this can you please answer this post and help us with this problem.
Thanks for everyones time
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 09:59 AM

818 posts, read 1,874,380 times
I haven't been through it (yet), but I've just done all the research. She might have some swelling of the muscles in the throat area. Just tell her to try to keep her jaws relaxed and it should be better when the swelling goes down. The first 24-48 hours is the worst.

I'm relieved to hear she doesn't have a lot of pain. Did she have any bone grafting?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,159,716 times
Dentures take a lot of getting use to, There is this foreign thing in your mouth that takes up space. You have to learn to eat, talk, swollow all over again with them. When I got mine, I would just take them out every now and then to give myself a break from all that in my mouth but wouldn't allow myself to go without them very long and MADE myself eat with them in. I have heard of people that gag just putting them in and trying to get use to them. Some people do have a harder time than others getting use to them.

If it would make her (and you) feel better, go see another dentist to make sure they are a proper fit, not way to big for her mouth or anything wrong with them. They could just be to big and/or not a proper fit. Seeing another dentist could help with this and if they are right, could assure her she is not crazy or that unusual.. The DO take a LOT of getting use to!

Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM

818 posts, read 1,874,380 times
Don't say that, I just made my appointment today.

They can trim some out of the middle of the top plate too, if it makes her gag or anything. They'll just lose a little bit of the suction that keeps them in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health