Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:21 PM

235 posts, read 355,965 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

just thought I'd pass along a discovery i've made recently. While attempting to find ways to eliminate harmful chemicals from my lifestyle, I stumbled upon a homemade toothpaste recipe.

coconut oil + baking soda.

I've used it the past two days and it works outstanding so far. My mouth only feels this clean after I go to the dentist. Any breath is totally neutralized, and my teeth feel so clean.

considering the antiviral, antimicrobial characteristics of coconut oil, this just makes sense.. and it's been working.

Hope y'all give it a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
Hey all,

just thought I'd pass along a discovery i've made recently. While attempting to find ways to eliminate harmful chemicals from my lifestyle, I stumbled upon a homemade toothpaste recipe.

I've used it the past two days and it works outstanding so far. My mouth only feels this clean after I go to the dentist. Any breath is totally neutralized, and my teeth feel so clean.

considering the antiviral, antimicrobial characteristics of coconut oil, this just makes sense.. and it's been working.

I agree. And think this info needed to be brought back up.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:49 PM

337 posts, read 1,431,732 times
I only wish more people knew about these super easy ways to use more healthy products! I, too, recently began searching for simpler, more traditional ways of staying healthy, and have switched to coconut oil / baking soda for brushing my teeth. (As well as for LOTS of other things too.....too of the most useful products in my house!)

Old 11-12-2013, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,924 times
I have also heard about this way to clean teeth but have also read that baking soda can be dangerous for gums. do you people have some irritation after using it or everything is fine?

Old 11-13-2013, 04:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
I have a shaker of baking soda for my toothbrush I have used for a year.
I have had no irritations at all with a soft bristle brush. I had never heard it
could cause any problems. I keep forgetting to use my coconut oil, thanks
for refreshing this thread again.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:44 PM

604 posts, read 839,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
Hey all,

OP, do you pre-mix this and keep it in a container. Or sprinkle baking soda in your hand and add the coconut oil?

I'm always looking for good non-fluoride toothpastes and powders. I don't have tooth sensitivity since I've stopped using toothpaste with fluoride.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:47 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
OP, do you pre-mix this and keep it in a container. Or sprinkle baking soda in your hand and add the coconut oil?

I'm always looking for good non-fluoride toothpastes and powders. I don't have tooth sensitivity since I've stopped using toothpaste with fluoride.
Old thread I know:

I've posted about using Coconut Oil toothpaste that I make up and been doing this for a couple yrs or so...well for the last two nights I didn't feel like making up a new batch and used my tube from the heath food store, good stuff, BUT....found my teeth were getting more plaque etc....so I did a test I hadn't planned on but glad I did it....CO toothpaste is the only way to go.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:54 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
Yeah, I wonder about this too. Exactly how do you use it?

Old 10-28-2017, 11:01 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
There are receipes on the net but I just make my own. In small jar use a base of 2-3T coconut oil (not melted) add some baking soda, 1/4 tsp or so, and some drops of clove oil or peppermint oil and this little jar lasts me about 2 weeks or so. Dip brush in and brush away. I don't go for dental cleanings now about 5 yrs or so. That's how effective the CO toothpaste is. I have a major thread here on CO TP.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:25 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There are receipes on the net but I just make my own. In small jar use a base of 2-3T coconut oil (not melted) add some baking soda, 1/4 tsp or so, and some drops of clove oil or peppermint oil and this little jar lasts me about 2 weeks or so. Dip brush in and brush away. I don't go for dental cleanings now about 5 yrs or so. That's how effective the CO toothpaste is. I have a major thread here on CO TP.
If you don't go to dental cleanings, etc., how do you know it's working well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health