U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 AM

433 posts, read 2,415,024 times

Advertisements

About 3 weeks ago I switched toothbrushes from a flat one to one that had more of an angular, wavy shape. A few days after using this I noticed some irritation in the gum around one tooth. A few days later I was eating something that I didn't realize was scorching hot and the first bite landed right on this irritated gum. Previously this tooth has had no problems. I had immediate soreness and pain on this gum.

Since then (which was about 3 weeks ago) I have had soreness on this gum around this one tooth. It's definitely gotten better over the weeks (was previously on front of gum around tooth and back), but now is just on the back--front gum seems to have healed. I have since switched toothbrushes again to a new flat one but this new one isn't as soft as the old one (which was over a year old, so it needed to be tossed), so I think the gum is still being irritated when I brush.

When I eat I feel soreness of the gum at that spot, so I've been chewing on the other side. No pain upon biting food on that tooth. No swelling or redness of gum, and I can see it very well in the mirror. I recently moved and haven't found a new dentist yet. Last time I went to dentist was this past July for my 6 mo. check up, and all was fine.

Anyone know what this could be? Should I be worried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:37 AM

5,603 posts, read 9,525,629 times
You should be worried if you use a toothbrush for a year!!! Changes brushes AT LEAST quarterly, change if you've had a cold or the flu, etc. You should always use a Soft bristle brush. Try rinsing after brushing and flossing w/a little peroxide in water (you can add a little mouthwash to help w/the taste), if the problem continues, see a dentist.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:38 AM

11,294 posts, read 17,082,031 times
You should probably check with a dentist. A hot spot can mean any of a bunch of things. It could simply mean that you're applying too much pressure when you brush in that spot. Or there could be something stuck between the gum and the tooth that's irritating it. Or it could be a bit of gingevitis, or built up plaque that needs to be picked out. Or, it could be a cavity (probably not - that would hurt more than just when something hot is applied).

Until you get to a dentist, try warm-water salt rinses. Not hot water - just a little warmer than room temperature, a dixie cup with a pinch of salt, swish it around in your mouth and spit it out. You can also use sensodyne toothpaste or any others designed for sensitive gums.

And yeah what the previous poster said about toothbrushes - you should be changing them at least every 3 months. And use a soft-bristle brush, always, no matter what kind you use. And floss. If you floss even just once a -week- - your mouth will be in better shape than if you don't floss at all. Flossing daily is optimal but even once a week will give a benefit.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM

433 posts, read 2,415,024 times
Thanks for your responses.

I know that using a toothbrush for a year is bad....but the toothbrush itself was in good shape. Even though my new toothbrush says "soft" on the package, it's much harder than the old one that got soft after a year of use, so it's still feels too hard for me.

I'm doing the salt water rinses--they feel good.

I'll also wait until after my period finally comes--my gums are always more irritated in the week before it, and better after it comes. Since my period is very late this month (not preggers though) maybe that has something to do with it too.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 222,904 times
So i'm having the same problem i recently changed my tooth brush and i also bit down on a hot honey barbeque wing on monday and today is wednesday since then, i too have been having a fit eating or drinking, hot or cold stuff...what did you eventually do about it? How did it finally stop? I am currently on vacation in New York and won't be back home to see the dentist until Monday....would hate to have to deal with it until then. Pls reply asap...thank you

Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 222,904 times
my previous reply was to BASS101

Old 07-20-2012, 07:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 7,173,903 times
Go see a dentist. It could be your brushing that area wrong with the new toothbrush and causing a sore spot. It also could be you have a deep perio pocket and it was exposed to you with the new one. Either way, go see a dentist now as it may be the difference between a crown and losing the tooth.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 110,876 times
I have a sore spot on one side of one tooth. I use a soft bristle tooth brush and I use a mouth wash twice a day. I hate going to the dentist and have a dreadful fear of having anything done. I'm 16 and still have to go with my dad. It isn't painful but its just sore. When I drink cold water it kind soothes it a bit but I don't have any problem with hot food or during eating anything. The soreness is mainly in between meals or eating. I'm really worried but I don't want to tell anyone I know as they will probably tell me to go to the dentist which I don't particularly want to do. Anything I could do to try and let the soreness go down would be great. Thanks

Old 07-27-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadhattermaria18 View Post
I have a sore spot on one side of one tooth. I use a soft bristle tooth brush and I use a mouth wash twice a day. I hate going to the dentist and have a dreadful fear of having anything done. I'm 16 and still have to go with my dad. It isn't painful but its just sore. When I drink cold water it kind soothes it a bit but I don't have any problem with hot food or during eating anything. The soreness is mainly in between meals or eating. I'm really worried but I don't want to tell anyone I know as they will probably tell me to go to the dentist which I don't particularly want to do. Anything I could do to try and let the soreness go down would be great. Thanks
Think about it this way:

You have just a little soreness. You go to the dentist. He pokes around, says you need a filling. It sucks, but hey, it's just a filling, a sharp pinch from the needle, some hot pain from the injection that lasts all of 3 seconds, having to hold your mouth open for 20 minutes, and you go home with an aspirin and all's well again.

Or

You do nothing. It turns out to be a cavity that's eaten into your gum tissue. You refuse to tell anyone about it, and it gets infected. Eventually, it fills up with puss, and the infection starts to leak, and the smell is so horrible you can't even eat anything, and the pain is overwhelming and you actually break down and cry. They take you to the dentist, who injects you with antibiotics and breaks open what is now a raging abscess, and the damage is so severe it's caused bone loss and you have to get the tooth extracted AND a bone graft and an implant, plus because you did nothing, the decay has spread to the tooth next to it, so now you -also- need a cavity filled in another tooth. If you're lucky, the abscess won't have spread into the sinus cavities as well.

So what'll it be? A visit to the dentist now, with the potential for a few minutes of pain followed by no big deal at all? Or, a visit to the dentist later when the damage can't be repaired and it turns into a HUGE deal with surgery?

Old 10-20-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
Thanks for your responses.

I know that using a toothbrush for a year is bad....but the toothbrush itself was in good shape. Even though my new toothbrush says "soft" on the package, it's much harder than the old one that got soft after a year of use, so it's still feels too hard for me.

I'm doing the salt water rinses--they feel good.

I'll also wait until after my period finally comes--my gums are always more irritated in the week before it, and better after it comes. Since my period is very late this month (not preggers though) maybe that has something to do with it too.
Hi all, I know this is an old thread, and the poster Bass101 never responded to tell us what happened with her situation. But I noticed the last paragraph of this post above, and was reminded it could be useful information to others in the same situation:

If you're experiencing soreness in your mouth -particularly- during your period or immediately before it, you might try adding a little more iron to your diet during that week. You don't need a lot, but remember when you get your period, your iron count goes down somewhat (more if you're a heavy bleeder than if you're a light-day type). Low iron count sometimes results in sore gums. If you take a daily multivitamin, you could get a small bottle of the same type "plus iron" to use during the week of your period every month, then go back to the regular type the rest of the month. Even a kid's chewable "plus iron" is probably enough to give you that very small boost you need to alleviate gum soreness triggered by a drop in iron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health