U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 PM

8,994 posts, read 16,274,767 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that at 31 years old I still have my wisdom teeth, and I have never had any problems with them...

Okay, a couple of weeks ago I noticed something kinda sharp sticking out of my gums below one of my back teeth (I felt it with my tongue), I hadn't noticed anything before that moment. I stuck my finger back there and it felt like a piece of tooth or bone coming out through my gums which hurt like heck. I rushed home to look in the mirror and when I did I scraped my fingernail across it and it came off. I had a dental x-Ray done last week and my dentist said he doesn't know where it came from. Anybody else have anything like happen before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 07:35 AM

2,596 posts, read 2,706,267 times
I had that happen several times after I had my wisdom teeth out and have also had issues with exposed bone in my mouth (on a tori.) It usually heals on its own but it sure is painful during the process.

Have you spoken to an oral surgeon to ask them? Might not be a bad idea to ask about your wisdom teeth. My dentist told me for years that mine were fine, never going to be a problem. Then after years of never being a problem, one got infected and I had to get all 4 taken out immediately. The older you get, the harder it is because the roots get to grow deeper. Might not be the worst idea to visit an oral surgeon, especially since you had the bone spur issue.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:57 AM

8,994 posts, read 16,274,767 times
No, I haven't been to an oral surgeon. Everyone says most oral surgeons are quick to say "take em out" , even when it's unnecessary. The spot where the bone came out was sore for a few days, but it's back to normal now. I never have any discomfort back there, I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 64,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Let me start by saying that at 31 years old I still have my wisdom teeth, and I have never had any problems with them...

Okay, a couple of weeks ago I noticed something kinda sharp sticking out of my gums below one of my back teeth (I felt it with my tongue), I hadn't noticed anything before that moment. I stuck my finger back there and it felt like a piece of tooth or bone coming out through my gums which hurt like heck. I rushed home to look in the mirror and when I did I scraped my fingernail across it and it came off. I had a dental x-Ray done last week and my dentist said he doesn't know where it came from. Anybody else have anything like happen before?
First of all, Your dentist is a dim wit to make such a statement. If i went to a dentist who couldnt explain anything that was going on within my mouth Id get up and run as fast as I could.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:01 AM

11,294 posts, read 16,784,516 times
I had something like that happen to me. Turned out I had eaten chicken a week before, and a little sliver of chicken bone had imbedded itself into my gum. A week later, it finally pried itself loose. What I scraped off my gum, that had been sticking out of my gum, was that little tiny bit of chicken bone. That happens to me with popcorn kernels too, they get stuck between my tooth and my gum for a couple of days. Even brushing twice a day, flossing, and rinsing, sometimes stuff like that just plain gets stuck in there and comes out when it's good and ready to come out. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

And that might be why the dentist said he didn't know where it came from. If you had scraped it off, he couldn't identify what part of your body it came from, because it didn't come from your body. It came from something you ate. So, no not a dimwit at all.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:10 PM

5,206 posts, read 5,103,548 times
Something like that happened to one of my kids. He had a back baby tooth (not a wisdom tooth) come out and then a while later (I think it was months) a little piece of what apparently was left of that tooth worked it's way out of his gum. It was alarming at the time but he had a scheduled dental appt shortly afterwards and all checked out o.k.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:33 PM

6,231 posts, read 5,475,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

Yes, same experience a couple of times, maybe three. Once I did what you did and it broke off, and it also grew back.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:34 PM

5,268 posts, read 5,604,021 times
I had a couple teeth pulled by a surgeon.
I notices a sharp edge sticking out a few days later. I could move it with my finger. No pain.
I got tweezers and out it came.
The doctor said that it was nothing unusual, at all, at the followup appt.
You'd hope they would use some dental tool to smooth the bones.
Bone could grow in some unexpected direction and require more treatment.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:18 AM

44 posts, read 94,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Something like that happened to one of my kids. He had a back baby tooth (not a wisdom tooth) come out and then a while later (I think it was months) a little piece of what apparently was left of that tooth worked it's way out of his gum. It was alarming at the time but he had a scheduled dental appt shortly afterwards and all checked out o.k.
It's called a sequestrum. It's very common. They happen frequently to kids as their jaws remodel. Quite fascinating if you ask me. I worked for a pediatric dentist. Learned more than I thought apparently

Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 60,995 times
Default yep

been having similar pains for a few weeks, what felt like a tooth coming up through my gums on my lower left side of jaw, just to right of where my tongue normally sits. My dentist said it was just an inflamed gum, and to not worry too much about it. I however just a few mins ago was able to break it off, with a finger nail. Note that as i normally bite my nails i decided to nibble on the little bit that came out. The texture of it was not like that of a nail. I therefore conclude it was probably a shard of bone.
Putting my tongue over it now is alot more comfortable, i could still feel perhaps a little left below the gum but the pain from it's practically gone, and all that remains is a small creator in my gum, that'll probably heal over time.
Im 35, and have had a large amount of dental work over the years 10+ fillings etc. I also had bracers / train tracks in my teens. I presume that with the teeth being pulled around that something below could easily have been broken off and worked its way up over the years.

Oddly my gums are different on either lower side the right is very much straight from the teeth to the tongue, where as to the left nr the last 3 molars it seems to come inwards a little then drop down. Guess that's what happens when you have a "made in England" stamp on you

& There i was so hoping to have a teeth that replaced themselves like sharks do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health