U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2011, 02:48 PM

2,606 posts, read 6,098,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Are you saying that they have grown in and are causing you no pain? Why have them removed at all? I for one have a full compliment of teeth, meaning that my wisdom teeth grew in strait and never affected me in any way. I remember visiting a new dentist and he suggested that I have them removed. I asked why and was told that they were hard to clean. I hadn't had any problem having them cleaned before. I have no problem brushing them either. I now have a new dentist and he has never told me to have them removed.
I am having them removed because they are crowding my mouth and my front teeth now will need braces.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 03:52 PM

10,500 posts, read 13,978,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I am having them removed because they are crowding my mouth and my front teeth now will need braces.
I guess I have a big mouth, All my teeth came in nicely. LOL

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 02-19-2011 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 03:53 PM

7,126 posts, read 13,803,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
What is the over-all health of your teeth? I ask because if any of the other teeth are in bad shape; it may be worth pulling those instead. I had my wisdom teeth pulled; then my mouth was still pretty full so as my molars fell apart I had those taken out; not the teeth next to the molars are breaking. I have bad teeth genetically. Even capping has not stopped the issue.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:01 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,990,785 times
Personally, I would never have general anesthesia for anything. Every year a certain percentage of people die on the operating table from anesthetic shock. Also, anesthesia is quite an art. You are just a hair's breadth from death at any instant. If the anesthesiologist is not right on top of things or is incompetent, you can die, very, very easily. So, I guess it goes without saying that I would choose Nitrous, if I was in your position.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-19-2011, 04:57 PM

11,294 posts, read 17,082,031 times
The term "sedation" is not synonymous with general anasthesia. General involves hospitalization, and intubation, and being hooked up to all kinds of monitors. Sedation involves any of several possible combinations of things, including a shot (or sip, or pill) of Valium, and often an amnesiac type drug (such as Halcion) so that IF you happen to experience discomfort or fright during the procedure, you have no memory of it when it's over. It's often given via IV (as opposed to taking a pill) because it sedates within moments. Sedation doesn't put you "under." It puts you in twilight, where you are conscious, and sometimes even awake, but mostly oblivious.

I had twilight anasthesia (sedation) when they did the laparascopic surgery on my knee. I was mostly awake and did -not- have the amnesiac because I wanted to remember how cool it was. I watched it on the monitor over my head while they were doing it. I was in and out of sleep, not very alert, but alert enough to focus on the monitor. They did give me a little extra sedation (I'm pretty sure it was valium and a low dose of short-acting demerol) right near the end while they bandaged me up. That part I don't remember any of at all and assume I had fallen into a nice deep slumber by then.

There's no need for general anasthesia (unconscious) when you're having your molars taken out, because there are twilight (semi-conscious) and sedation (conscious) methods of anasthesia. Nitrous has its own side effects, plus it does nothing at all to alleviate pain. It -only- makes you not care.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:17 PM

5,320 posts, read 6,750,602 times
I had a pill when I had to have some emergency work done on an abscessed tooth.
I don't remember what the pill was, but I do know that when my daughter came in to pick me up and take me home I told her it was way too early and that they hadn't even started yet. She looked at me like I was crazy, apparently the procedure had been done and over with for some time and I wasn't even aware of it happening at all.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:27 AM

AnonChick is correct. I am not having General anesthesia I am being IV sedated. I have had IV sedation before by the same doctor about 7 years ago, so I'm hoping that it will all go smoothly.
I'm worried about recovery now more then anything else.
Are teeth that are already cut through into your mouth easier to recover from?
Anyone know how long the bleeding will go on?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Depending on the severety of the work needing done, bleeding shouldn't last more than a day with just a little bit of seeping the day after. They'll instruct you to rinse -gently- with warm salt water, which is going to be your lifesaver for the first two or three days as well.

Recovery from IV sedation is more difficult to recover from than recovery from Nitrous. Nitrous recovery occurs within a few minutes after they take the mask off, other than a mild lingering headache, which some people get from it.

Recovery from the surgery itself will be several days, but the worst of the pain is the second day. And that isn't generally intolerable. One or two painkillers that day is probably the strongest kind of thing you'll have to deal with; some people get along just fine with a single tylenol.

Soft foods only, avoid milk products for a week -especially- if they've given you antibiotics to prevent infection. Even if you don't plan on chewing on your back teeth, don't have hard foods anyway - because they can get stuck back there and tug on incisions or loose skin.

You may very well learn to hate applesauce and broth-infused rice pilaf without almonds. But promise, it's only for a few days. I had bone grafting and an implant and it wasn't too bad. My wisdom tooth had to be pulled but it wasn't impacted so there was no surgery for that. My jaw ached from all the tugging though. For days!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:48 AM

I had them out yesterday and the recovery went fine. There is very limited pain only on the left side of my jaw. Bleeding only lasted a few hours after the surgery. I'm been eating mostly yogurt and ice cream for the first 24 hours. I'm started some warm soup today. I am on antibiotics for 5 days.
Thanks for all the advice. After getting the IV sedation (Versed) I would definitely choose it again, I fell asleep and it went great!!

AnonChick - Why did you say to avoid milk prodcuts?

Old 02-26-2011, 08:55 AM

Because dairy and antibiotics don't mix. The calcium in dairy can bind with the antibiotics, making them less effective.

Also, Versed is the amnesiac of choice for my sister, heh. She's all kinds of loopy when she wakes up from surgery. Fun stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health