Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:52 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,434,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My only regret in being that "far gone" is that I wasn't able to remember it. It sounds like I had a great time!
Glad it worked out well for you, that's what's most important...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 06:34 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,193 times
Pay the extra money for the IV. Best money I ever spent. I had 4 removed, 2 were impacted. Go sleepy sleep, and wake up finished.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
I can't stand having a mask on my face. Go for the IV for sure.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Well, the mask wouldn't be covering your face. It's only big enough to cover your nose. They kinda need access to your mouth when they're trying to tug out your teeth afterall. And as I said - once you take the first few whiffs of the nitrous, you no longer care about discomfort. That is the exact effect it has on you. That is its function. When I had a root canal they only had to leave it on for the first 20 minutes. By then, the novocaine set in, the drilling had already started, and I was already accustomed to the awkward position of my jaw.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 PM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
They put me under and it went fantastic.

I'd do it again if I had more wisdom teeth to remove.

When it's done, clean those areas out really good with salt water.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:25 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,705 times
DH had a wisdom tooth which had already broken through, pulled about 3 years ago. The dentist numbed his gum with novacaine gel so he wouldn't feel the novacaine shot. After the numbness took effect they pulled the tooth in a matter of seconds. He said it was one of the easiest things he has ever had done. Afterwards he never needed anything stronger than a Tylenol and that was only the first day. I know every experience is different, but if yours are already broken through the gum and they use the gel before giving you the shot, you really shouldn't have any pain at all. Still, if you are very nervous you might want to ask for some Valium or Xanax to take before your appointment (you may want to ask for a couple of extra ones for the day you receive the bill). Nitrous would probably also work well. Just my personal opinion, but I think Halcion (had that once too for major gum surgery) or IV sedation would be overkill if your teeth have already broken though. But then I am one who hates the after effects of things like that. Good luck!

Nancy

Old 02-19-2011, 06:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
There's a difference between getting -one- tooth pulled, and getting *a few impacted* teeth removed. One involves a pliers. One involves a scalpel, bone-cracking tool, and occasionally stitches. Huge difference. HUGE.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I don't see why you need either. I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed with local anesthesia. It was fine. They just want your $$$.
I did the same. But if I felt the need I would prbably do the nitrous because, unless I am in the hospital, nobody is giving me IV anesthesia. Too much can go wrong.

And mine were impacted (he had to break them in two) and I was in my early 20s.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:43 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I am having my 2 top Wisdom teeth removed in a week. I had my bottoms out 7 years ago under IV sedation as they were impacted.

My two top ones I am getting out are completely broken through the gum so my oral surgeon said it should be easy.

I have never had Nitrous so I'm not sure how it will effect me?? But I get extremely nervous and anxious with ANY dental work... I was thinking about doing IV sedation again, but hearing all the horror stories of people forgetting to breathe is making me rethink this.

Whats your opinion?? I have a low pain tolerance.
Also an Oral sedative was mentioned, does this have the same risks as IV sedation?
The IV is worth it; especially if "easy" turns into complicated like my daughters. I had the local "one stop shop" do her wisdom teeth; worst mistake I ever made. Not sure if they offered IV sedation; it wasn't offered. I'm not sure if they gave her gas & Novocain or what but she almost had to be taken out by ambulance. My guess is epinephrine was in it. He ended up doing 2 (one side) that day. 2nd time he only got to do 1 because it was more involved then he realized; again; with turning white; having to sit an hour before moving. Took her to an oral surgeon for the last one- what a difference.

Piece of advice; make sure your insurance covers it because I got screwed with the local guy; turns out we had to use her health insurance; not dental for that.

As far as the numbing gel- it may work for some people but it does not work for me. When they shove the needle in it hurts; I always feel it in one of my facial nerves.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:46 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I am having my 2 top Wisdom teeth removed in a week. I had my bottoms out 7 years ago under IV sedation as they were impacted.

My two top ones I am getting out are completely broken through the gum so my oral surgeon said it should be easy.

I have never had Nitrous so I'm not sure how it will effect me?? But I get extremely nervous and anxious with ANY dental work... I was thinking about doing IV sedation again, but hearing all the horror stories of people forgetting to breathe is making me rethink this.

Whats your opinion?? I have a low pain tolerance.
Also an Oral sedative was mentioned, does this have the same risks as IV sedation?
Are you saying that they have grown in and are causing you no pain? Why have them removed at all? I for one have a full compliment of teeth, meaning that my wisdom teeth grew in strait and never affected me in any way. I remember visiting a new dentist and he suggested that I have them removed. I asked why and was told that they were hard to clean. I hadn't had any problem having them cleaned before. I have no problem brushing them either. I now have a new dentist and he has never told me to have them removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health