U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:18 AM

2,604 posts, read 6,026,349 times

Advertisements

I live in CT. I was quoted $1450 for a root canal from the Endodontist I was referred to by my dentist.
I was asked what that included and it just included the root canal itself and a temp filling. The permanent filling or crown (whichever I need) will be EXTRA.

My parents said that sounded really high!! Should I call around ? I need to pay this out of pocket as I have already used my allotted allowance from insurance for the year (i had wisdom teeth removed this year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 10:14 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,691,040 times
no that's not high at all and the crown wil be extra and can cost more! My brother is a oral surgeon and he does most of my dental work and it's free, but he did send me out for a root canal but dental insurance should cover a lot of it. Do you not have dental insurance?

Old 03-04-2011, 11:47 AM

11,294 posts, read 16,626,706 times
Yeah, basic dental insurance covers the actual root canal and amalgam filling (the temp filling). Usually it's an 80/20 plan, where they'll pay 80% of that cost, and you cover the first 20%. Then, you pay 100% of the final filling and crown.

If you're dealing with a molar, then yes the price sounds close. A little on the high side but it depends on where you are in Connecticut (an office in Greenwich will probably cost more than one in New London). If you're dealing with a front tooth or incisor, then it's definitely a bit high and you might want to negotiate or check around for other doctors. Do not make your decision based on the price though. Just because it's affordable doesn't mean it's going to be a good quality. If the drilling is done poorly and the filling doesn't set properly, you could end up losing a tooth, or getting an infection, or worse. On the other hand, paying an arm and a leg for Dentist to the Stars!!! doesn't mean you won't end up with the same thing. Make sure your doctor is board-certified, and that his doctorate diploma is from a school you've actually heard of (doesn't need to be Ivy League but if it's from Saint Sue's Ministry of Dentistry in San Palermo Italy, you'd probably want to ease slowly out the door and run to the bus stop )

Old 03-04-2011, 12:16 PM

2,604 posts, read 6,026,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Do you not have dental insurance?
If you read my original post in full, I said i do have insurance but they will only cover a certain amount of money per year and I have already maxed it out this year due to getting wisdom teeth removed 1 week ago.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:21 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,626,706 times
Wow - three months into the year and you're cut off, just because you had wisdom teeth removed? I'd definitely stop paying that insurance company, and find a different plan. Either that, or you're confusing insurance with flex savings.

Really though, if they're telling you in March that you have no more coverage for the rest of the year, then definitely STOP paying for the rest of the year. That's insane.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 PM

3,667 posts, read 5,244,250 times
We live in the DC area and my husband very recently had a root canal and crown done, the cost before insurance as $1779 for everything. The root canal was $803, $194 for the core build-up and $782 for the porcelain crown. This reflected an adjustment of $857.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 PM

78 posts, read 314,213 times
I assume the tooth is a molar? That does sound high, around here in Upstate NY the cost is $1100 for a molar a couple hundred less for the rest...

Old 03-04-2011, 05:48 PM

5,548 posts, read 4,833,879 times
Well, dentistry sure doesn't come cheap. I was told $800 for a root canal in AZ, but maybe that did not include all the other stuff.

I have to have two teeth extracted next week and two implants - total cost when done? $5000. Beats walking around with no teeth. And this is at a dental school. So could be worse.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 PM

5,907 posts, read 14,766,484 times
I got a root canal and crown last year. The combined total was around $2k. I would say that is not an unrealistic estimate.
My dental plan also has a max allowance. It's not a flex plan. It works out well if all I need is x-rays, check-ups and cleanings, maybe a filling or two even. I think the annual max allowance is $1000.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:21 PM

15,984 posts, read 16,013,947 times
I just paid almost $2000.00 last year in NC. NC didn't take my FL dental "plan" not insurance. It would have been cheaper for me to fly down to my dentist in FL, have him do all the work, and fly back home using my dental plan...but it was winter and I didn't want to deal with delays and bad weather.

I would seriously look into Dental Plans and not dental insurance. For plans you pay a low yearly fee and then you get up to 90% off of all dental work. It saved my husband and I thousands of dollars when we first went back to FL 7 years ago. There is no limit and no deductible for plans. I'll send a DM for a link.

Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health