U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:10 PM

946 posts, read 1,353,483 times

Advertisements

I woke up this morning with some pain in my right molar area and in my throat (when I swallow). It's now gone from strong to extreme and extended to my ear. Normally when I wake up with a sore throat, it's a sign I'm going to get a cold. But it's not flu season and nobody in my family is sick, it just started all of a sudden. I did nothing out of the ordinary yesterday. It hurts when I open my mouth, let alone chew food. Any ideas of what it can be? What can I take to make the pain go away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 01:14 PM

5,854 posts, read 6,598,261 times
The pain from a toothache can spread to other areas. You might try taking some ibuprofen and see if it dulls the pain enough for you to tell where it's coming from.

Do you have any swelling in your gums around the area, or on the outside of your face?

Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 PM

Not outside of my face, it's kind of red inside the area where it hurts, but no major swelling. I've never had a tootache before, at least not this extreme, so I have nothing to compare it to. Do they sell that in pharmacies?

Old 04-10-2011, 02:25 PM

5,854 posts, read 6,598,261 times
Ibuprofen is just Motrin or Advil...supposed to work the best for dental pain. For a bad toothache, the only thing that will really help is prescription painkillers, but you'd need to see your doctor or dentist for that.

Sometimes my husband will get a jaw pain that radiates to the ear. His seems to be stress-related, because it goes away when he's not worried.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:06 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,704,807 times
Could be from dental issues irritating the nerves, or from reflux of acid at night going into your molar area and up your eustachian tube on that side causing the ear pain. I'd take some OTC painkillers. Sleep propped on the pillow if you think you might have acid reflux. Sometimes it takes a few days for the irritation to go away.

If it does not get better soon, see a dentist or the doctor and have them check for a tooth abscess.

If your face / throat starts swelling up badly (i.e. you start having difficulty breathing or you can see large amount of swelling in your jaw/throat) and/or you develop a high grade fever, you should go to the ER for a CT scan as abscesses can spread infection into the anatomical spaces of the head/neck.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:18 PM

I took a few advil and the pain has subsided. Prior to that the pain got so bad my mom insisted I go to a doctor, but thankfully it has gone down a bit.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:55 PM

14,023 posts, read 9,933,482 times
Sounds like an abcessed tooth to me.

Go to the dentist....NOW! Abcesses can cause damage to your heart and can even be fatal.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 17,500 times
I Have a rear molar that had a medicated filling and a permanent filling on top he said it was very deep and I now also have a clogged ear feeling and tension in jaw feels swollen under ear and I am a worrier dr put me on amoxicillin and some decongestant but doesn't seem to be working, should I just get the tooth pulled and hope it all goes away , I have no insurance and can't take it

Old 03-17-2012, 04:31 PM

11,294 posts, read 17,082,031 times
Well how long ago did you start taking the amoxycillin? And have you taken it -exactly- according to the prescribed schedule?

How long ago did you have the filling? Also, there's no way any responsible dentist would have given you a medicated filling and covered it with a permanent filling. Medicated fillings are temporary and get removed, and then replaced, with permanent fillings. Medicated fillings are given when the dentist has not concluded whether or not a root canal is needed. So they do the temp filling, and if there's no further flareup, a permanent filling is put in around a month later. If there -is- further flareup, then they will usually just do a root canal.

Extraction is not a typical solution.

You say "dr put me on..." which doctor? Your dentist? Or a regular doctor? If it was a regular doctor, did you mention to him that you have recent infection in your mouth? Or was there no infection previously?

Your question is vague, the information you're providing is vague, there really is no way to answer you difinitively until you're more clear about what is going on.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:01 PM

43,177 posts, read 47,049,205 times
Sounds like you have some kid of inflamtion that is effecting the entire area. Infection in root area of tooth;problem caused by wisdon tooth;who knows until its X-rayed.Make a appointent with dentist.Could alos be infection i ear area also causig tooth to hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health