U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 85,789 times

Advertisements

I had a root canal done and a bunch of other work. 3 months and a couple grand later I now need a crown lengthening which I'm not going to do. I'm just going to get the tooth pulled and deal with it. I was wondering if anyone on here is living without one of their bottom first molars (second to last tooth, not counting wisdom teeth).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 AM

14,132 posts, read 26,087,585 times
Yes, that would be me. I made the same decision you're facing. I still have my wisdom teeth so haven't lost much chewing capacity. There is quite a gap though but doesn't bother me since I can chew fine and it's not visible. I will say getting it pulled and the aftermath wasn't the most fun I've ever had. Takes a couple months before the hole starts filling in and food no longer gets caught down in there. I think if the gap bothers you they could put in some type of bridge.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:59 PM

9 posts, read 85,789 times
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'd mind the gap, I'm just worried about teeth shifting over and the top tooth shifting down exposing it's roots. Everyone keeps telling me don't get the tooth pulled unless you're going to get a bridge or implant because the top tooth will move down and you'll have a bunch of problems...but there's got to be plenty of people all throughout the US that live normal lives with missing teeth. Have you faced that problem? I think they just want $1300 as opposed to $50....

Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 PM

13,262 posts, read 34,245,973 times
It depends on what you consider a "normal life." If, by "normal life" you mean having missing teeth, an increased risk of losing more teeth, an increased risk of permanent bone loss, an increased risk of gum disease, an increased risk of cold/heat sensitivity, an increased risk of tooth fracture and decay, which leads to an increased risk of infection, which leads to an increased risk of sinus infection and possibly even death, then sure. There's plenty of people living normal lives.

Personally, that isn't normal to me. Common, perhaps. But not normal.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:01 PM

20,141 posts, read 15,454,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amartinznyc View Post
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'd mind the gap, I'm just worried about teeth shifting over and the top tooth shifting down exposing it's roots. Everyone keeps telling me don't get the tooth pulled unless you're going to get a bridge or implant because the top tooth will move down and you'll have a bunch of problems...but there's got to be plenty of people all throughout the US that live normal lives with missing teeth. Have you faced that problem? I think they just want $1300 as opposed to $50....
It's your decision, but I would spend the money if you can afford it and get a crown, or if you have the tooth pulled, get a bridge or an implant for the reasons that AnonChick mentioned in post #4. Why take a chance on developing problems later on?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:53 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,307,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It depends on what you consider a "normal life." If, by "normal life" you mean having missing teeth, an increased risk of losing more teeth, an increased risk of permanent bone loss, an increased risk of gum disease, an increased risk of cold/heat sensitivity, an increased risk of tooth fracture and decay, which leads to an increased risk of infection, which leads to an increased risk of sinus infection and possibly even death, then sure. There's plenty of people living normal lives.

Personally, that isn't normal to me. Common, perhaps. But not normal.
This is exactly (well not exactly, but pretty close) what the dentist told my husband whose root canal failed and he had to have that exact same molar extracted. He's going in next week for the first installment of the tooth implant. Some dentists will take payments over months if $ is an issue.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:51 AM

3,785 posts, read 8,667,076 times
I have the last bottom molar missing (next to where the wisdom would be, but had to have the wisdom tooth removed b/c it was impacted). In my case, I didn't have a choice. All told, I spent a fortune and had three different crowns by three different dentists and none of them worked. I ended up in a whole lot of pain and an infection (long story) despite having regular dental care. Apparently there isn't enough space in my jaw at that juncture and that's how I lost my original tooth to begin with (because of the pressure being exerted, to oversimplify). My current dentist figured all of this out and I now have a game plan for the other side.

Sorry to be so long, but my point is that I really wish I had pushed the dentist to help me figure out why I lost the original tooth to begin with. Had I known what was going on, I would have saved myself thousands of dollars and lots of pain and just had the tooth pulled.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:42 AM

1,550 posts, read 2,933,726 times
I had one of mine removed two years ago because it had a crown that kept developing an infection. This seem to be typical for the crowns I have gotten in the past. I have no problem with the gap or chewing as they claim you will have. I no longer want to waste 1000s of $$$ for crowns that evidently get infected and they have you keep coming back for anitbiotic treatment over and over again; that's not healthy. Bacteria build up a resistance to antibiotics leaving you prone to other infections and stronger meds to control future infection. I am getting another one pulled this week.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:55 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,850,464 times
Why not get it replaced with an implant? It's really the best solution.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 AM

147 posts, read 309,204 times
I have had the very last molar ont he bottom extracted. I had had a root canal there, then an infection. retreated the rootcanal and then a year or two later the infection returned. I had it extracted, bone graft done. implant in place..... but now I cannot afford the post and crown. I will have to wait until after January to get that completed. At the end of the day, this tooth will have cost me more than a (small, inexpensive) car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health